+ Reply to Thread

Thread: W. Tennis. Techsters Drop Season Opener to Jacksonville State

I'm just a bot - I can't respond to your posts News_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the rough News_Bot's Avatar

W. Tennis. Techsters Drop Season Opener to Jacksonville State

A new article has been posted on www.latechsports.com:

Louisiana Tech opened the 2011 season with a 5-2 loss to Jacksonville State on Saturday in Hattiesburg, Miss.

More...

Discuss it here.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: W. Tennis. Techsters Drop Season Opener to Jacksonville State

What country was this match played in:

Aleksandra Cmilijic; Fr.; Subotica, Serbia
    Martina Dessbesell; 5-5 Sr. Panambi, Brazil
    Raisa Guastil; Fr.; Vitoria, Brazil
    Ralphaela Lima 5-8 So. Brazil
    Viviane Marani 5-7 Sr. Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Juliana Renesto 5-4 Sr. Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Kelly Tomlin 5-6 So. Peachtree City, Ga.
    Rafaela Wenzel 5-7 Jr. Itajai, Brazil

Louisiana Tech:

Barnard, Elne JR Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    de Wit, Maartje JR Velp, Netherlands/SSgN
    Erofeyeva, Alena SO Yekaterinburg, Russia/Olympic Youth Sports School
    Heldoorn, Sophie FR Blaricum, Netherlands
    ten Dolle, Vivian SO Gelderland, Netherlands/de Driemark
    Urvoy, Melanie FR Aulnay-sous-Bois, France/Lycee Jean Zay HS
    Zurek, Anna JR Radom, Poland/Tyler Junior College
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post

Louisiana Tech:

That is strange....

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post

Louisiana Tech:

WOW!!!

Don't American kids play tennis anymore?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    WOW!!!

Don't American kids play tennis anymore?
    I have a theory. It is probably more than you asked for.

You would think that is the problem, but I don't think it is. At least as recently as a few years ago, USTA had great participation in both boys and girls youth tennis. Southern regional tournaments were waiting listed, and you had to be in the top 100 to be sure you would get a spot. However, by the time the girls reached 18 and under, there was sometimes not enough girls to fill the tournament.

In men's sports, some of it is that the better athletes primarily play football, baseball and basketball. However, in other countries, soccer is king, and so I would assume they have the same phenomenon, yet they continue to produce great tennis players. So, that is not the problem.

Having had a daughter play USTA tennis and having watched a lot of matches not even involving her, I think it is a combination of how we train and that we have so few young people hungry enough to do what it takes to mature emotionally and to master the game mentally and physically. When my daughter reached 16, she basically was no longer willing to put into that sport what it demanded, and trust me, that sport is demanding as any there is. It was so time consuming and expensive for me, that I had no problem with her dropping out of the regional and national level.

Now, when my daughter dropped out of competitive USTA tennis, she continued to play high school tennis, which is nothing but a joke. That tennis is nothing short of horrible. Katie got to the semi-finals of 5A state tournament without really working on her game for two years. She lost to the eventual champion, who was still playing competitive tennis and ranked number two in the south and in the top ten nationally. Katie lost handily to that girl.

So, my theory is that tennis is a game that there is a huge difference between a good player and a great player. The US produces a ton of good players and very few great players. I think the girls are hungrier overseas if for economic reason only. They know they can get a free education in the US if they continue to excel. Schools like LSU gobble up the few US great players and fill in the rest with the foreign players. The rest of us have to go overseas to get great any great players.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Why is this in the Women's Basketball forum?

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Why is this in the Women's Basketball forum?
    Don't ask me, I just saw the BOT and read the article, then responded.

I do think that if we cannot find girls from the United States good enough to play tennis at the D1 level, then we should consider dropping tennis in favor of another sport such as golf. I hate to see this much of our scholarship money go overseas.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

News_Bot is a stupid bastard. I want to kick his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I don't know why the quoted post is so funny to me, but I literally laughed for five minutes.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    "I laughed a lot"

+ Reply to Thread