+ Reply to Thread
Page 135 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2956

Thread: Peanut Buckets Coming to DAWGTOWN

Puppy GeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the roughGeauxDawgsGeaux is a jewel in the rough

Re: Peanut Buckets Coming to DAWGTOWN

https://www.utilitybrewing.com/

Not a ton of information yet, but definitely looking forward to having this in Ruston.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxDawgsGeaux View Post

Not a ton of information yet, but definitely looking forward to having this in Ruston.
    This is great to hear! Ruston desperately needs a craft beer scene. All the other cities in Louisiana have 'em

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxDawgsGeaux View Post

That's awesome! Looks like it's right next door to the Dixie. They hope to open by Labor Day.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    That's awesome! Looks like it's right next door to the Dixie. They hope to open by Labor Day.
    With two big home games, they have the chance to get big numbers their first month of operations.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    This is great to hear! Ruston desperately needs a craft beer scene. All the other cities in Louisiana have 'em
    Natchitoches doesn't have a craft beer business. There's one in the works, but because the "old money" of Natchitoches isn't involved, the two guys trying to launch one are having to face all kinds of ridiculous barriers (political). I think certain "factions" in Natchitoches are killing this proposal, then after the two entrepreneurs give up and take their business elsewhere, the "old money" will open their own craft beer business with some kind of exclusive protection for themselves. The zoning commission can establish rules to limit how many of each type of business, especially any "specialty" business, are allowed to open. Or, they can control it by capacity. In this case, they might have a rule establishing X number of barrels can be produced monthly. The "old money's" business would have that capacity or close to it. Thus, no other craft beer business can open, as long as that first one is operating.

Such controls were just used in Natchitoches to prevent a "gentlemen's club" (strip joint) from opening in the city. Most of the city is zoned to disallow any "sexually oriented" business from opening, period. But, South Drive was not zoned that way. A local entrepreneur was looking to buy an existing commercial property (former restaurant) and convert it to a strip club. The powers-that-be went ballistic! They could not deny the business from opening. So...instead....the zoning commission passed an emergency ordinance limiting hours of operation to any establishment selling alcohol, that does not derive 50+% of its gross revenue from food service, to something like 5PM to 7PM, Thursday-Saturday. That means this strip club could have 6 operating hours per week. So! the entrepreneur looked into NOT selling alcohol but allowing patrons to bring their own...and the club could sell ice and cokes and other setups. So! the commission responded with another "behind closed doors" emergency meeting and came up with another regulation.

An attorney (personal friend and business associate) told me the zoning commission acted illegally, that all such zoning regulations must be discussed in open, public forums so the general public can comment, etc.. But, I later learned the commission can issue such "emergency rulings" that are binding for 60 days. After that, an open public hearing must be held to make such new rules permanent. In this case, the owner of the commercial property was facing such hostility that the entrepreneur was told the property was not for sale for such business purposes. I believe that such "discrimination" might in itself be considered illegal. There are laws that govern real estate. They are more numerous and stricter re: residential real estate, but commercial property is also governed by laws for the expressed purpose to assure "fair practices."

"Old money" of Natchitoches shut down an out-of-state real estate investment company that was buying up property for the purpose of building a huge apartment/condo complex. Adjacent landowners found ready allies in the "old money" faction who themselves own rental properties, apartments, and who didn't want the competition. Then, stuck with some property and nothing they could do with it, this real estate company sold it for pennies on the dollar to, you guessed it! those same "old money" folks.

The beat goes on...

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

As an urban planner and staff to a zoning commission, I can say this is all unspeakably unethical. Even if it were technically allowed by law, it's way out of line with anything the profession would consider proper behavior or best practices.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate the city has a hard time maintaining a professional planning staff precisely because they're expected to provide administrative support for shenanigans like this. Correct?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    As an urban planner and staff to a zoning commission, I can say this is all unspeakably unethical. Even if it were technically allowed by law, it's way out of line with anything the profession would consider proper behavior or best practices.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate the city has a hard time maintaining a professional planning staff precisely because they're expected to provide administrative support for shenanigans like this. Correct?
    Unethical? I think so, but I assume such ethics are in the eye of the beholder. Some might say the commission acted "heroically" to prevent such a nasty/naughty business from opening.

Now, I have to say, that some people I spoke with questioned the commission's actions, even though they said they are pleased no strip club will be opening in Natchitoches (anytime soon). But, just because they personally agree with the end result, they are still concerned that ANY governing body would act in such a behind-closed-door fashion. Next time...it might be a business, or a zoning change, they support and they expect the commission to conduct its business properly and openly.

Too bad too. I had a bunch of $1 bills accumulated. Now, I'll have to do something else with 'em .

Oh, and to your other question, about the staff... well, some of us question the quality of a lot of the city/parish staff. I suppose these folks remain in their positions because no one else will hire 'em.

Bulldog LT2 is an unknown

What is being built at the corner of 167 and Wynnwood?

Champ JAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by LT2 View Post
    What is being built at the corner of 167 and Wynnwood?
    A house

Edit: An office.
    Last edited by JAMROB; 07-19-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Bulldog LT2 is an unknown

?Who is clearing land south of the ballpark on Hwy. 167?

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by LT2 View Post
    ?Who is clearing land south of the ballpark on Hwy. 167?
    Probably more ballparks: https://lincolnparishnewsonline.word...ports-complex/

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    if they do it "right", and it sounds like they are, this will bring in a ton of folks in for youth tourneys.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I wish em the best.
    But . . . I would have guarded optimism on its weekly impact of a baseball park.
    Southern Louisiana teams have a multitude of tournaments to travel to along I-10 . . . and sleep in their own beds. I wouldn't depend on the majority of those teams to travel north on a regular basis.
    Along I-20 there is a lot a work to do on developing more travel teams. Several years ago, local leagues were converting from Little League and Dixie Youth to USSSA little league so the weekends would be easier to deal with. Will that happen in Lincoln Parish?
    Same goes for the town of Sterlington and their dreams. They're both about 10 years behind in this ballpark complex building.

The nicest thing about the new park. More fields for local league play.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Along I-20 there is a lot a work to do on developing more travel teams. Several years ago, local leagues were converting from Little League and Dixie Youth to USSSA little league so the weekends would be easier to deal with. Will that happen in Lincoln Parish?.
    I believe that trend is turning back some. Ruston, for the most part, has held together well with their organization. Same in Monroe/West Monroe despite having some of the elite players pulled away to travel ball. As you know "Tournament Teams" are now developed out of local leagues and the cost is MUCH less than travel ball. The fields at nlulm have never lacked for play. I believe a few more fields in Ruston and Sterlington will find plenty of play as well.

As nice as the Sulphur complex is, I have no desire to go down to that part of the state and spend money.

+ Reply to Thread