+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CalTech snaps 26 year conference losing streak

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

CalTech snaps 26 year conference losing streak

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ng-streak.html

Heard about it on the radio this morning. Thought it was kind of cool.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Re: CalTech snaps 26 year conference losing streak

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ng-streak.html

Heard about it on the radio this morning. Thought it was kind of cool.
    I was thinking pathetic would be the word. Wow, how do you go that long without winning a conference game?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    I was thinking pathetic would be the word. Wow, how do you go that long without winning a conference game?

I read something about them a long time ago. I think they have crazy academic restrictions (without the athletic pull of a Stanford or Cal or even an Ivy League type sports program).

You can read Rick Reilly's piece on them here.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I read something about them a long time ago. I think they have crazy academic restrictions (without the athletic pull of a Stanford or Cal or even an Ivy League type sports program).

Interesting, I knew they were an "egghead" institution. It is just hard to fathom fielding a team in a conference where you dont even have a 1 percent chance of winning a game each night. I saw they one a few out of conference, you figure they might try to get into a conference where you can compete.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Good article. I think this is pretty telling:
    Only six guys on his roster even played varsity ball in high school. Nobody on the team got an offer to play from any other college. None has dunked in his Caltech career.

Some of our intramural teams could beat these guys in basketball, but none of them could beat them in a math competition. Caltech is super hard to get in to and the teams in their conference are not (at least not on the same level). If you watch the video you can see the reaction of the crowd and the players. I think it's pretty special.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Interesting, I knew they were an "egghead" institution. It is just hard to fathom fielding a team in a conference where you dont even have a 1 percent chance of winning a game each night. I saw they one a few out of conference, you figure they might try to get into a conference where you can compete.
    I bet at that level it's a geography/history thing. It wouldn't be enough of a priority to change conferences (and it isn't like there are many weaker conferences than the one they're in, they don't exactly play in the Big East). They'd be changing in the hopes of winning maybe one or two games a year.

It's still amazing they went that long without a conference win (and they had a nice NCAA losing streak going for a while). You'd think they could find 10 or so guys that at least played for their high school's team. But I bet if you're smart enough to go there and are good at sports, you look at the academic powerhouses who also have athletic tradition and end up at Princeton or Cal.

I don't think that conference exists. The only school that I can think of would be MIT and I think their admission standards are even a little bit easier than Caltech, but certainly on the same level.

They're Div III, so no scholarships, too.

The Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference includes Whittier College, University of Redlands, University of La Verne, etc.

I bet at that level it's a geography/history thing. It wouldn't be enough of a priority to change conferences (and it isn't like there are many weaker conferences than the one they're in, they don't exactly play in the Big East). They'd be changing in the hopes of winning maybe one or two games a year.

It's still amazing they went that long without a conference win (and they had a nice NCAA losing streak going for a while). You'd think they could find 10 or so guys that at least played for their high school's team. But I bet if you're smart enough to go there and are good at sports, you look at the academic powerhouses who also have athletic tradition and end up at Princeton or Cal.
    Probably more of a history thing because I would think the 4 teams they beat outside of conference are close geographically. This team isnt traveling anywhere too far or getting someone to come play them from too far away.

Probably more of a history thing because I would think the 4 teams they beat outside of conference are close geographically. This team isnt traveling anywhere too far or getting someone to come play them from too far away.
    I don't think American Sports University plays in a conference (located in Cali), UC- Santa Cruz (the Banana Slugs) are indy, the other two teams they beat are in Wisconsin and Massachusetts.

http://www.thesciac.org/sports/mbkb/...e?team=Caltech

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    Good article. I think this is pretty telling:
    Only six guys on his roster even played varsity ball in high school. Nobody on the team got an offer to play from any other college. None has dunked in his Caltech career.

Some of our intramural teams could beat these guys in basketball, but none of them could beat them in a math competition. Caltech is super hard to get in to and the teams in their conference are not (at least not on the same level). If you watch the video you can see the reaction of the crowd and the players. I think it's pretty special.
    It reminds me of that video that went viral a few years ago of the autistic kid that high school let play.

Varsity Bulldog Cactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really nice Cactus Rob's Avatar

Let's face it, they don't go there to play basketball but yet, while they are there, they play basketball.

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

Attn: Karl Benson, sign 'em up for the WAC!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Rob View Post
    Let's face it, they don't go there to play basketball but yet, while they are there, they play basketball.
    Like most everyone else in their conference, since they are D III and cant offer scholarships. That is a long time to lose.

+ Reply to Thread