+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rupp Extension

Varsity Bulldog dascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her game

Rupp Extension

What happens to when and if Rupp gets an extension?

Is this board going to go into meltdown mode?

Its not a farfetch thought.

Most sensible people on the board said that they would be satisfied with and thought that a 15-16 win season with the roster at the beginning of the season would get Rupp an extension. He is currently four games off after losing 2 starters for much of the season and losing 3 starters in total. And he is a good friend of the name bearer of the basketball court that the game is played on.

Hmmmmm...........

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Re: Rupp Extension

I can only speak for myself, but the thought of having him even for next year makes me feel like I want to vomit.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Extended contract - terrible decision. Warrants meltdown.

Keeping his current contract and let him stay through next year - bad decision.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Extended contract - terrible decision. Warrants meltdown.

Keeping his current contract and let him stay through next year - bad decision.

NUCLEAR MELTDOWN WITH ANY KIND OF EXTENSION!! Thinking Egypt, Libya like protests. I'd carry a sign.

Stay through next year? I'd renew my tickets one more year & see.

Varsity Bulldog dascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her game

I am just playing devil's advocate here, but what were your expectations record wise this year?

Considering, this is after a 24 win season (yes, I know, it didn't result in NIT or NCAA), and after losing 4 productive seniors? Programs like Tech don't reload, they rebuild and I think this is a rebuilding year.

The win/loss record really dampens the a good season for someone like Kenyon, who has played pretty well down the stretch, because he probably won't be considered for Rookie of the Year when his numbers are good enough.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

If we cut Rupp loose we better have a plan for someone to take his spot. Billy Kennedy for example. After last year, this season isn't enough to warrant termination unless you know you have someone you like more.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dascoop View Post
    I am just playing devil's advocate here, but what were your expectations record wise this year?

Considering, this is after a 24 win season (yes, I know, it didn't result in NIT or NCAA), and after losing 4 productive seniors? Programs like Tech don't reload, they rebuild and I think this is a rebuilding year.

The win/loss record really dampens the a good season for someone like Kenyon, who has played pretty well down the stretch, because he probably won't be considered for Rookie of the Year when his numbers are good enough.
    I've enjoyed going to the games this year, cheering for my school, the Hoop Troop, just going to Ruston & the campus and being there (missed one game, Fresno, due to flu). After we beat SMU (now 17 -11) and Houston my expectations rose. Who knows, maybe Redding and Gibson would have helped us keep it going.

I'd have expected winning at least 2 of 3 versus UALR, Northwestern, McNeese. Then 3 of 4 at home versus Fresno, Hawaii, San Jose, NMSU. That would've put us at 17 - 12; then add 2 road wins from these 4 plus Boise and we're at 19 - 10 coming home for our last two games in down year WAC. We probably had leads in all of these, some double digit leads, some leads very late.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't cut it much, but I'm OK with one more year for Rupp. But I will be "looking for results'"

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    If we cut Rupp loose we better have a plan for someone to take his spot. Billy Kennedy for example. After last year, this season isn't enough to warrant termination unless you know you have someone you like more.

I know it was just an example, but Billy Kennedy won't come to Louisiana Tech from Murray St, its a lateral move at best or a move down considering the success he's has had at Murray State.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

I know it was just an example, but Billy Kennedy won't come to Louisiana Tech from Murray St, its a lateral move at best or a move down considering the success he's has had at Murray State.
    Depends on how much we are willing to pay. If we are going to make a move we better be willing to pay much more than we did Rupp. I think I saw somewhere he is making around 225K at Murray State.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Minimum 6-7 WAC wins against very mediocre competition, at least doing a decent job defending the home court. 2-6 WAC at home which is where this train is headed doesn't begin to cut it. Add wins in 1 or 2 more of the OOC road games, and there would have been no doubt about Rupp's status.

Too much slippage on court and too much chaos off the floor. I'd expect better program stability from a 2nd year coach than Tech has right now, and that is to me the bigger reason than the record that a change needs to be made.
    Last edited by RealityCheck; 03-01-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    I've enjoyed going to the games this year, cheering for my school, the Hoop Troop, just going to Ruston & the campus and being there (missed one game, Fresno, due to flu). After we beat SMU (now 17 -11) and Houston my expectations rose. Who knows, maybe Redding and Gibson would have helped us keep it going.

I'd have expected winning at least 2 of 3 versus UALR, Northwestern, McNeese. Then 3 of 4 at home versus Fresno, Hawaii, San Jose, NMSU. That would've put us at 17 - 12; then add 2 road wins from these 4 plus Boise and we're at 19 - 10 coming home for our last two games in down year WAC. We probably had leads in all of these, some double digit leads, some leads very late.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't cut it much, but I'm OK with one more year for Rupp. But I will be "looking for results'"
    You can't coach and recruit effectively with one year left on your contract with no extension, that 's known as a lame duck coach. Every recruit knows you don't have an extension and every other opposing coach will use it against you in recruiting everytime. Even your present players will eventually stop listening to you because they know there's a good chance that you might not be here the following year and they will.

Its either an extension or he's getting fired this year.

I'm leaning more towards an extension especially with the guy that own court calling the shots.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

You can't coach and recruit effectively with one year left on your contract with no extension, that 's known as a lame duck coach. Every recruit knows you don't have an extension and every other opposing coach will use it against you in recruiting everytime. Even your present players will eventually stop listening to you because they know there's a good chance that you might not be here the following year and they will.
    I don't think he's recruited very effectively no matter how many years he had left on his contract.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Minimum 6-7 WAC wins against very mediocre competition, at least doing a decent job defending the home court. 2-6 WAC at home which is where this train is headed doesn't begin to cut it. Add wins in 1 or 2 more of the OOC road games, and there would have been no doubt about Rupp's status.

Too much slippage on court and too much chaos off the floor. I'd expect better program stability from a 2nd year coach than Tech has right now, and that is to me the bigger reason than the record that a changes needs to be made.
    The record doesn't bother me as much as the team's effort and the off-the-court stuff. Rupp has been here four years, so almost every player on the team has been recruited in one way or another by Kerry Rupp. The team's play has been sloppy all year with either no signs of improvement or even regression at times. I thought the sloppy passing and turnovers would improve as the year went on. It didn't.

I was on the fence a few weeks back about whether or not Rupp should stay next year. If Tech went on a hot streak, qualified for the conference tourney, and win a bid of the NCAA Men's Tournament by winning the conference tournament, then I could have seen Rupp staying next year. Today, I would get rid of him and start from stratch.

To answer the original question of the thread, the board will go into meltdown mode if an extension for Rupp is signed. Matter of fact, some posters with descend into Three Mile Island or Chernobyl-type meltdowns. The 1st and 4th years were horrible. The 2nd year was bad until the Bulldogs started playing well right after Dooley fired Chris Long and promoted Weatherspoon to the interim head coach spot for the Lady Techsters.

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

A college coach that cannot draw up an inbounds play for at least 1 basket the whole season needs to go.

Big Dog ANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

What results are you looking for? That is a question I would like everyone to answer. After 4 years as HC. Is over 20 wins next year but no WAC championship and no NCAA bid a good result? Is it too much to expect 1 NCAA bid in 5 years of coaching? How is success defined in BB? Is 20 wins success? Or does a Conference Championship and NCAA bid define success?

+ Reply to Thread