+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rupp Extension

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Rupp Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    If we cut Rupp loose we better have a plan for someone to take his spot. Billy Kennedy for example. After last year, this season isn't enough to warrant termination unless you know you have someone you like more.
    Billy Kennedy was exactly the name I had in mind if we decide to commit to and invest in MBB.

If not, I'd settle for Chad McDowell at LSUS. I think he's worth a shot.
    - Head coaching experience
    - Local recruiting ties
    - Winner
    - Started program from scratch
    - Led his team to #1 in NAIA
    - Road wins over NCAA Division I competition
    - He'd mesh well with the local Baptists
    - He wouldn't break our piggy bank
    - Young and energetic

McConathy is wallowing in mediocrity at Northwestern State.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Billy Kennedy was exactly the name I had in mind if we decide to commit to and invest in MBB.

If not, I'd settle for Chad McDowell at LSUS. I think he's worth a shot.
    - Head coaching experience
    - Local recruiting ties
    - Winner
    - Started program from scratch
    - Led his team to #1 in NAIA
    - Road wins over NCAA Division I competition
    - He'd mesh well with the local Baptists
    - He wouldn't break our piggy bank
    - Young and energetic

McConathy is wallowing in mediocrity at Northwestern State.
    I don't know if we could afford to fire Rupp for McDowell. Especially not with a year on his contract. The only way IMO that is makes ANY sense to fire Rupp is if there is a big time target lined up. A guy like McDowell will be available the next year if Rupp shows that this season wasn't a fluke.

Big Dog ANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by dascoop View Post
    I am just playing devil's advocate here, but what were your expectations record wise this year?

Considering, this is after a 24 win season (yes, I know, it didn't result in NIT or NCAA), and after losing 4 productive seniors? Programs like Tech don't reload, they rebuild and I think this is a rebuilding year.

The win/loss record really dampens the a good season for someone like Kenyon, who has played pretty well down the stretch, because he probably won't be considered for Rookie of the Year when his numbers are good enough.
    The first thing we have to do is adjust expectations. A good coach will not need to rebuild in the fourth year. He will have prepared and recruited accordingly. As for expectations for the W/L record this year. Based on our quality of opponent, Louisiana Tech should never win less than 20 games with a schedule like the one we have this year/ last year. The problem with these types of schedules is that we will never get an at large bid to the tournament. A good coach will schedule harder because he is confident he will do well, he's not just trying to save his job.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I don't know if we could afford to fire Rupp for McDowell. Especially not with a year on his contract. The only way IMO that is makes ANY sense to fire Rupp is if there is a big time target lined up. A guy like McDowell will be available the next year if Rupp shows that this season wasn't a fluke.
    I agree.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Depends on how much we are willing to pay. If we are going to make a move we better be willing to pay much more than we did Rupp. I think I saw somewhere he is making around 225K at Murray State.
    I can think of three coaches in the state of louisiana that could do a better job than Rupp with less resources.

Big Dog kdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by okiealdawg View Post
    A college coach that cannot draw up an inbounds play for at least 1 basket the whole season needs to go.
    Olu scored on an End Out against Georgia State.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Why do we need a big name guy lined up? Any sense? Really?

This season wasn't a fluke? How about show last season wasn't a fluke. Rupp has sucked for 3 or 4 years.

There are other good coaches out there that aren't "big names." 2 to 3 in this state at "lesser" programs that, IMO, would come to Tech in a heartbeat. We don't need a big name to get rid of Rupp.

Varsity Bulldog bdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nice

I know it was just an example, but Billy Kennedy won't come to Louisiana Tech from Murray St, its a lateral move at best or a move down considering the success he's has had at Murray State.
    His daughter attends Tech.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ANODESSEY View Post
    What results are you looking for? That is a question I would like everyone to answer. After 4 years as HC. Is over 20 wins next year but no WAC championship and no NCAA bid a good result? Is it too much to expect 1 NCAA bid in 5 years of coaching? How is success defined in BB? Is 20 wins success? Or does a Conference Championship and NCAA bid define success?

Very fair question.

I'd like to see consistent winning records and then just energetic, intense, GATA effort every game. I hear a LARGE NUMER OF SEASON TICKET HOLDERS talk about unfocused, poor effort performances this year. It's taken its toll and doused the passion of a lot of loyal fans. Surely you're aware of these feelings if you attend the games and listen. See post #13 above, where "effort" and "sloppy" and "no sign of improvement...even regression" are mentioned. I'm a season ticket holder and make 100 mile round trips to each game specifically because of the effort and passion the team showed in Rupp's first year. Where has that gone? I miss it!!

Results for me would include intensity, effort, organized basketball. When that happens in the TAC we'll know it. I would consider 20 wins most years, even without a WAC championship or NCAA, with the effort we've mentioned as successful, you bet I would. We'd get some regular NIT appearnces out of that and rebuild interest/excitement/attendance.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but the thought of having him even for next year makes me feel like I want to vomit.
    Do you feel the same way about Coach Sim?

Just asking.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Why do we need a big name guy lined up? Any sense? Really?

This season wasn't a fluke? How about show last season wasn't a fluke. Rupp has sucked for 3 or 4 years.

There are other good coaches out there that aren't "big names." 2 to 3 in this state at "lesser" programs that, IMO, would come to Tech in a heartbeat. We don't need a big name to get rid of Rupp.
    To fire him. Because by firing him we are dooming ourselves to a rebuilding year next year.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

To fire him. Because by firing him we are dooming ourselves to a rebuilding year next year.

Which we will be doing already...

Hearing Roshell did not make his grades and Hall slipped in just by the skin of his teeth -

I had a number I wanted to see before the season ever started and I have not waivered off of that number - 15 D 1 wins for an extension...

He feel 4 games below that -

No extension is needed nor deserved....

I have tired of talk of character and of doing things the RIGHT way, when the track record of this program suggests otherwise -

It wass a bad hire from the beginning - no need to compound the problem with an extension

I would like to see a buy out, but I am resigned to the fact we will muddle through another year of this nonsense since we will in all likelyhood honor the last year of the contract -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I'm leaning more towards an extension especially with the guy that own court calling the shots.
    Maybe before, but not now.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

You can't coach and recruit effectively with one year left on your contract with no extension, that 's known as a lame duck coach. Every recruit knows you don't have an extension and every other opposing coach will use it against you in recruiting everytime. Even your present players will eventually stop listening to you because they know there's a good chance that you might not be here the following year and they will.

Its either an extension or he's getting fired this year.

I'm leaning more towards an extension especially with the guy that own court calling the shots.
    You make an extremely VALID point! One we should all look at and consider. If we don't get good recruiting this year, it'll set us back another 2... Is it worth the money??

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Which we will be doing already...

Hearing Roshell did not make his grades and Hall slipped in just by the skin of his teeth -

I had a number I wanted to see before the season ever started and I have not waivered off of that number - 15 D 1 wins for an extension...

He feel 4 games below that -

No extension is needed nor deserved....

I have tired of talk of character and of doing things the RIGHT way, when the track record of this program suggests otherwise -

It wass a bad hire from the beginning - no need to compound the problem with an extension

I would like to see a buy out, but I am resigned to the fact we will muddle through another year of this nonsense since we will in all likelyhood honor the last year of the contract -
    I am not promoting an extension. And I agree with dascoop that a lame duck coach is a bad option. I'm basically saying we better hope our AD can pull off a big time hire here. I don't feel that a non big time hire would be an improvement over what we have now.

+ Reply to Thread