+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rupp Extension

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Rupp Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    I am not promoting an extension. And I agree with dascoop that a lame duck coach is a bad option. I'm basically saying we better hope our AD can pull off a big time hire here. I don't feel that a non big time hire would be an improvement over what we have now.
    I don't think we need big time as much as one with local connections. If you can effectively recruit this region, you can put a winner on the court year-in, year-out.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I don't think we need big time as much as one with local connections. If you can effectively recruit this region, you can put a winner on the court year-in, year-out.
    I disagree completely. I don't feel that a guy with local connections is any better than what we have now. We can't disregard the good we've seen from Rupp just because of a terrible season in conference play. If we want a non big time hire, there is absolutely no reason to fire Rupp. Don't waste money on a buyout. Give him another season and make your decision after next season. It is terrible to have a lame duck coach but unless there is a guy worthy of paying the buyout for, it is just a waste of money.

Varsity Bulldog dascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her game

Not true, most of the kids in this region that recruitable for this level don't have the grades. The ones that have the grades out of high school go to places like Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, LSU, Baylor, Ole Miss, etc.

I disagree completely. I don't feel that a guy with local connections is any better than what we have now. We can't disregard the good we've seen from Rupp just because of a terrible season in conference play. If we want a non big time hire, there is absolutely no reason to fire Rupp. Don't waste money on a buyout. Give him another season and make your decision after next season. It is terrible to have a lame duck coach but unless there is a guy worthy of paying the buyout for, it is just a waste of money.
    You can't have a head coach going into his last year with no more years lefts on his contract.

There are only two options

1. Give him a year extension and if he doesn't do well next year, buy him out for the last year.

2. Buy him out now and hire a new coach for next season.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dascoop View Post
    Not true, most of the kids in this region that recruitable for this level don't have the grades. The ones that have the grades out of high school go to places like Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, LSU, Baylor, Ole Miss, etc.
    This.

It's time for Tech to decide if we are committed to MBB or not.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

I am not promoting an extension. And I agree with dascoop that a lame duck coach is a bad option. I'm basically saying we better hope our AD can pull off a big time hire here. I don't feel that a non big time hire would be an improvement over what we have now.
    Why? Rupp was a terrible hire from the get go.

I'm sick of all of this, "we need to commit to MBB or give it up." I don't see it that way. Didn't we increase funding when Rupp was hired?

Let's trying hiring another guy, the right way. And the right way isn't picking up the phone and asking Karl who is good buddy is.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you on that argument, and there is alot of validity to it. But... you can effectively recruit a 100 mile radius of ruston and build a team. Huntington has a couple of players that are starting-- Mosely at NWSU and Washington at Houston who said they would have come to Tech had we recruited them. These are post players that could be starting on our team.

I am privy to alot talent around here. I'm talking about guys that can play D1. You just have go out and get them.

Varsity Bulldog dascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her gamedascoop is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I hear you on that argument, and there is alot of validity to it. But... you can effectively recruit a 100 mile radius of ruston and build a team. Huntington has a couple of players that are starting-- Mosely at NWSU and Washington at Houston who said they would have come to Tech had we recruited them. These are post players that could be starting on our team.

I am privy to alot talent around here. I'm talking about guys that can play D1. You just have go out and get them.

But are those guys heads and toes better than what you have right now? They are both 6'7 centers.

Now if they were 6'9 240, you can offer the argument.

The ones who are good enough go elsewhere to BCS conferences. Now there may be a steal or two but who are they?

But are those guys heads and toes better than what you have right now?

The ones who are good enough go elsewhere to BCS conferences. Now there may be a steal or two but who are they?
    Yes, they are better than what we have now. You have to build relationships with local coaches to really find out who can really play (or be developed). I know of a few guys that could make an immediate impact on the quality of our team, but I'm not going to list their names on the public board. These are guys we can sign--if we work at it.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Why? Rupp was a terrible hire from the get go.

I'm sick of all of this, "we need to commit to MBB or give it up." I don't see it that way. Didn't we increase funding when Rupp was hired?

Let's trying hiring another guy, the right way. And the right way isn't picking up the phone and asking Karl who is good buddy is.
    You don't understand how bad our budget is. Apart from coaches pay, nothing has changed in our budget. ULL and their fema trailors spend more than us. Commitment is a huge problem.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

You don't understand how bad our budget is. Apart from coaches pay, nothing has changed in our budget. ULL and their fema trailors spend more than us. Commitment is a huge problem.
    Never said it wasn't. Never said we don't need more commitment.

We can do better with our current budget. LSUS guy could do better, McConathy could do better. Because they are doing better. I actually think Rupp might be a down grade from Richard.

Varsity Bulldog dfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

But are those guys heads and toes better than what you have right now? They are both 6'7 centers.

Now if they were 6'9 240, you can offer the argument.

I would rather have a 6-7 guy with some skills than a 6-9 guy with no skills.

Varsity Bulldog dfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

His buyout would be done with private money, from what I understand. Rupp is not working out, we need to try someone else, even if he is not a big name. The next coach might work out and we need to take that chance.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    I don't think he's recruited very effectively no matter how many years he had left on his contract.
    Amen! When a coach depends heavily on jucos and transfers, do those players really care that the coach only has one year left? After all, they only have two years of playing time themselves.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Are you telling us that our budget is less than NWSU, McNeese and UALR? It isn't just about money or the lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by dfwdog View Post
    I would rather have a 6-7 guy with some skills than a 6-9 guy with no skills.
    Yep! And he lacks hustle, is devoid of intensity and has no loyalty to Tech nor the USA.

+ Reply to Thread