+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duke Guard Nolan Smith

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Duke Guard Nolan Smith

I just finished watching the Duke game that was on tonight. They were celebrating Senior Night at Cameron Indoor. Nolan Smith is getting his degree in African and African American Studies. Now, I am not going to question the difficulty of the classes, after all he is going to Duke. I am not going to question the legitimacy of the classes because I know there is a ton of material to cover. However, I have to ask if that really should qualify as a major field of study. Have we ever had an athlete at Tech highlighted as the scholar athlete majoring in something like this or, say, Elementary Recreation? Are any of the larger more prominent schools out there offering legit degrees in History, English, Business, or Engineering anymore? I know it is probably just their athletes in these types of majors, but still, it seems crazy to me. What happens when he goes pro and blows out a knee after 2 games. What kind of job can he get with that degree?

Just thought I would throw this out and see where it goes.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: Duke Guard Nolan Smith

Redneck Studies...now that's what I'm talking about!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Redneck Studies...now that's what I'm talking about!

No, that doesn't qualify. It would actually involve science classes. You have to experiment with lighting farts, baking soda bombs, potato guns, and the lasting effectiveness of duct tape. Also, there would have to be language classes, so you can understand all of Jeff Foxxworthy's words.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I just finished watching the Duke game that was on tonight. They were celebrating Senior Night at Cameron Indoor. Nolan Smith is getting his degree in African and African American Studies. Now, I am not going to question the difficulty of the classes, after all he is going to Duke. I am not going to question the legitimacy of the classes because I know there is a ton of material to cover. However, I have to ask if that really should qualify as a major field of study. Have we ever had an athlete at Tech highlighted as the scholar athlete majoring in something like this or, say, Elementary Recreation? Are any of the larger more prominent schools out there offering legit degrees in History, English, Business, or Engineering anymore? I know it is probably just their athletes in these types of majors, but still, it seems crazy to me. What happens when he goes pro and blows out a knee after 2 games. What kind of job can he get with that degree?

Just thought I would throw this out and see where it goes.
    I have always viewed "African-American studies" as a form of history degree. It's specialized to a certain area of history, similar to what many master's programs would do. I'm assuming you'd do the same thing with that degree as a generic history degree from Tech -- not much. Either teach or go get a master's degree.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I have always viewed "African-American studies" as a form of history degree. It's specialized to a certain area of history, similar to what many master's programs would do. I'm assuming you'd do the same thing with that degree as a generic history degree from Tech -- not much. Either teach or go get a master's degree.

thanks professor. Like I said, I am not downing this guys ability to graduate or the field he chose. It just seems, on the surface, as more narrow than a business degree from Tech or Grambling. I guess I just don't really understand what field they are actually in with some of the names of these degrees.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    My guess is that it would be a little closer to sociology (with hefty doses of political science), though history would obviously be an important part of it.

+ Reply to Thread