+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Searching!!!

Varsity Bulldog Dawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her game Dawgyinmiami's Avatar

Job Searching!!!

The fam and I would love to move to the Dallas/Houston area. Do any of you Dawgs in Texas have any good ideas where someone with a Construction Engineering Technology Degree would look for a job down there? I've been in the Air Force for the past 15 years as a Communications Officer and switched to the reserves in 2008 as a Civil Engineering officer that is Explosive Ordinance Disposal qualified...went to the school and everything. Any tips/hints/job offers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dawgyinmiami

P.S. I'm currently living in Utah. I'm guessing the directional screen name wasn't such a good idea.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Re: Job Searching!!!

The 20+ years I gave to the Air Force is a blessing to my retirement. I'm not sure how long you have to go to get retirement but if it is just 5 more, I would stick it out. Retirements like that are hard to come by now days.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Big Dog westdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the rough

I had a buddy that worked at Kiewit and Sons out of Fort Worth. They are a huge construction and mining company. They do a lot of hiring from Tech. There is also a Lincoln Builders of Fort Worth over there. They would be a smaller construction company doing commercial work.
    Last edited by westdawg; 03-04-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I work at CenterPoint here in Houston, seems we have a few engineering and even a telecommunications position open on our website. Not sure what that entails or what type of communications work you did. Most of the engineering jobs here are pipeline infrastructure. Not sure your interest in that.

Varsity Bulldog Dawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her game Dawgyinmiami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    The 20+ years I gave to the Air Force is a blessing to my retirement. I'm not sure how long you have to go to get retirement but if it is just 5 more, I would stick it out. Retirements like that are hard to come by now days.
    I would have loved to have stuck it out for 20+ years active duty, but the AF decided it didn't need my talents anymore a couple of years back during the last Reduction in Force. I actually misspoke in my first post. I have 12.5 years active duty and went reserves after I had to separate. Believe me, I'm feeling the fact that i won't get my military retirement until I turn 60. My life plan was to be retired at 45/46 and then doing whatever I wanted to do after that. My retirement will still get a big boost, just not as early as I wanted to. Oh, well. Best laid plans, right?

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgyinmiami View Post
    I would have loved to have stuck it out for 20+ years active duty, but the AF decided it didn't need my talents anymore a couple of years back during the last Reduction in Force. I actually misspoke in my first post. I have 12.5 years active duty and went reserves after I had to separate. Believe me, I'm feeling the fact that i won't get my military retirement until I turn 60. My life plan was to be retired at 45/46 and then doing whatever I wanted to do after that. My retirement will still get a big boost, just not as early as I wanted to. Oh, well. Best laid plans, right?
    Sorry to hear that. I have worked with a few communications officers in the past and all of them were top notch very bright individuals. The Air Force should keep more of them around in my opinion but it seems that a lot of them don't get the upward movement and are either RIFed or get out for greener pastures.
    WWDog
    La Tech

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Willing to bet you could get a Field Engineering position with Halliburton in the Frac Division because of that explosive experience

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

I second this search!!! My fiance and I are wanting to move to Dallas, Houston, or Austin as well, and I'm a programmer with a Computer Science degree. Baton Rouge just isn't working out at all anymore!

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    I second this search!!! My fiance and I are wanting to move to Dallas, Houston, or Austin as well, and I'm a programmer with a Computer Science degree. Baton Rouge just isn't working out at all anymore!
    Have you checked out the Tyler, TX area? Only 100 miles to Dallas and 80 miles to Shreveport. The area is growing like the proverbial weed!

Rack Space just had an article in today's San Antonio Express News that they are hiring all kinds of computer types.
    Rackspace looking to fill 100 IT positions

San Antonio is close to Austin and Rack Space is a company that has been moving up rapidly for some time now. I found a site for them below.
    www.rackertalent.com/rackerpalooza
    WWDog
    La Tech

Ktulu7 You might also look into The Denim Group here in SA for software development who teams with Rack Space for software development. I used to work with one of the principles at The Denim Group. They are another up and coming IT related company here in SA.
    WWDog
    La Tech

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

What am I going to do at Johnny's on Fridays during football? Good luck on the job search and congratulations on the fiance.

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

KTULU7 you should contact BBB member weunice. He's been working in your field in Baton Rouge for probably 15 years he may have more ideas or even a few contacts that we don't have here. He's a pretty decent guy who probably would give you pretty good advice.

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/member.php?u=1228

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for everyone's advice and whatnot. I've taken all your advice and am now just waiting to see how everything pans out. I have also been getting called by headhunters lately, and one is trying to get me into some job in Covington doing some .NET development right now. I am really wanting to move to Texas, buuuut I can't shoot down a good opportunity if it comes up, so we'll see what happens. I need the extra cash so I can pay the bills... AND donate more to LTAC!!

Thanks for everyone's advice and whatnot. I've taken all your advice and am now just waiting to see how everything pans out. I have also been getting called by headhunters lately, and one is trying to get me into some job in Covington doing some .NET development right now. I am really wanting to move to Texas, buuuut I can't shoot down a good opportunity if it comes up, so we'll see what happens. I need the extra cash so I can pay the bills... AND donate more to LTAC!!
    If you knew anything about programming embedded LabView I'd tell you to come this way, but OKC is as far away as BR

+ Reply to Thread