+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Searching!!!

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Re: Job Searching!!!

Hate to say it but the Tech Career Services really isn't a big help for all of you either. I still can't believe they charge companies money to come in for career days.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Twister View Post
    Hate to say it but the Tech Career Services really isn't a big help for all of you either. I still can't believe they charge companies money to come in for career days.
    Pretty useless when I was there. Of course, I was a Finance major, so no surprise. I got an interview and job offer through a professor, though.

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Pretty useless when I was there. Of course, I was a Finance major, so no surprise. I got an interview and job offer through a professor, though.

You think you feel bad, at least it was a Tech professor. I got my graduate grant (which eventually allowed me to get a full time position) here because I knew Dr Cofer ..yes the former ULM president ... called Dr. Kimpel who was the director of the NSSL at the time and recommended me. I had met the man when I was an undergraduate and when I was getting my second undergrad in Atmospheric Science at ULM he used to always catch me on campus and want to know how I was doing. Then when I went to grad school and told him what I wanted to do he helped me out. Tech Engineering wouldn't do s**t to help me out and a guy from the college down the road helped me out.......OUCH

Varsity Bulldog dfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

I have a Tech degree, an EIT, and I work as a laborer in a warehouse. I don't get any interviews or phone calls.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Currently, I'm far along in the interviewing process for a Japanese-owned company's office in Covington (almost Mandeville, really)... It still sucks to be trapped in Southeast Louisiana, but hey, the job could still be the big improvement I need. I'm still spamming Texas jobs until I do get hired somewhere, Covington or wherever. Gotta make the moneyz! It's definitely true that simply having a degree doesn't necessarily get you a "real" job easily...

Quote Originally Posted by dfwdog View Post
    I have a Tech degree, an EIT, and I work as a laborer in a warehouse. I don't get any interviews or phone calls.
    EIT and PE really don't mean anything anymore unless you are going to work for an engineering firm. Having the ability to pass the tests just means you have the ability to pass the fundamentals, but doesn't say anything about the ability to apply them. Also depends on what your degree is in, with todays economy and job market it is NOT the time to be graduated with a non traditional specialization engineering degree such as biomed or nano.

As I mentioned earlier to KTUL you may want to consider having your resume done professionally. Companies are using scanners more and more and if the resume doesn't cut the 30 sec scan you're cutting yourself short.

Varsity Bulldog dfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedfwdog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

As I mentioned earlier to KTUL you may want to consider having your resume done professionally. Companies are using scanners more and more and if the resume doesn't cut the 30 sec scan you're cutting yourself short.
    If that doesn't get me a job. Do they give you your money back? I don't have a sugar-coated resume, so I may be out of luck, I can't get a descent paying job to save my life.

If that doesn't get me a job. Do they give you your money back? I don't have a sugar-coated resume, so I may be out of luck, I can't get a descent paying job to save my life.

Some of the companies DO have a money back guarantee. Just out of curiosity, what is your degree in??

It not considered sugar coating, but you have to remember a company's scanner doesn't READ a resume they scan over it looking for a certain words. They have a set alogorithim that if your resume does not have XYZ key words, it pretty much doesn't get forwarded on.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think another thing to consider is the relative competitiveness of the market you're trying to get hired in. You may wanna start hunting in an area that isn't as popular as well, if you're really desperate to get a job. I'd be doing that if I were unemployed or doing warehouse work. Since I have a job (albeit not a great one), I have the luxury of trolling where I wanna move, but everyone wants to live there, so it's difficult. It's just a thought, but again, what do I know? I haven't had real success in my career yet, so I could be wrong, haha.

I tried with Halliburton last night, anyone here work for them? In Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    I think another thing to consider is the relative competitiveness of the market you're trying to get hired in. You may wanna start hunting in an area that isn't as popular as well, if you're really desperate to get a job. I'd be doing that if I were unemployed or doing warehouse work. Since I have a job (albeit not a great one), I have the luxury of trolling where I wanna move, but everyone wants to live there, so it's difficult. It's just a thought, but again, what do I know? I haven't had real success in my career yet, so I could be wrong, haha.

I tried with Halliburton last night, anyone here work for them? In Houston?
    I used to know their head of the Houston Field Engineering Division, but I haven't talked to her in a couple of years so I don't know if she still is there.

Problem you are going to run into is you live in their Gulf State Region and that division is out of Lafayette so your application will automatically get forwarded to them and they tend to do their first interviews in Feb with their call back about now. You may want to call down to their field office in Lafayette and talk to one of their recruiters, couldn't hurt if you tried.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

As I mentioned earlier to KTUL you may want to consider having your resume done professionally.
    YES! I used to always listen to Tulane campus radio when I was in HS. They were really into the "Manchster" bands those days -- the Cure, Echo, New Order, etc. I still dig that brooding, post-punk Brit-pop sound.

If not for KTUL, I probably would never have gotten involved with KLPI -- which, as you may know, was a major part of my Tech experience.

Oh -- and good luck with your job search guys. Holler at me if you ever consider coming to the "dark side" (eg. public sector).

And ktulu -- you can do alot worse than Mandeville/Covington. Dont hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    YES! I used to always listen to Tulane campus radio when I was in HS. They were really into the "Manchster" bands those days -- the Cure, Echo, New Order, etc. I still dig that brooding, post-punk Brit-pop sound.

If not for KTUL, I probably would never have gotten involved with KLPI -- which, as you may know, was a major part of my Tech experience.

Oh -- and good luck with your job search guys. Holler at me if you ever consider coming to the "dark side" (eg. public sector).

And ktulu -- you can do alot worse than Mandeville/Covington. Dont hate.
    Yeah, well if I HAVE to live in this corner of Louisiana, Mandeville/Covington ain't bad at least. I'm just looking to get away from this area in general, 'cause I've been here long enough. There's also not a whole hell of a lot of job opportunity for me around here, so when a job goes south, it's a problem. Oh well, we'll see how it goes! A great job can also make you feel a lot better about an area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    Yeah, well if I HAVE to live in this corner of Louisiana, Mandeville/Covington ain't bad at least. I'm just looking to get away from this area in general, 'cause I've been here long enough. There's also not a whole hell of a lot of job opportunity for me around here, so when a job goes south, it's a problem. Oh well, we'll see how it goes! A great job can also make you feel a lot better about an area.
    Come on up here to the OKC. People are just as friendly and you don't have that blood pressure popping Greater New Orleans traffic....however twice the population of New Orleans but a very low population density.

Heck if it wasn't for the occasional tornado things are great...... I'd be out of a job, but things would be great.

+ Reply to Thread