+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible BR area tornadoes?

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Possible BR area tornadoes?

weunice, are you watching this? I'm seeing a kinda scary environment for tornadoes in the BR metro area.

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Re: Possible BR area tornadoes?

Actually, barely a blip on our systems here at the National Severe Storm Lab here in Norman (HAHA just kidding), don't let our illegitimate in-laws down the hall spook you KTULU7, about the worst you will see is severe thunderstorms today in the morning. Now if you really want the crap scared out of you by some tornadoes come do some field work with us this summer.

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/observations/
    Last edited by Dr Twister; 03-09-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Surprisingly, that tornado that set down in Crowley was only a EF2, which although is still an awesome sight to behold is still fairly small. I had the privilege (if you want to call it that) of being in Oklahoma City back in 1999 when the big EF5 hit down town Oklahoma City. The monster had over mile wide diameter at its peak when it actually hit Oklahoma City and had a sustained wind speed of about 320 miles per hour. It was so bad that it would lead to the revised Enhanced Fujita Scale that is being used today. Its really the reason why I wanted to work were I work. The super cell that spawned it (shown below) also produced 8 other tornadoes that all it at the same time

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Twister View Post
    Actually, barely a blip on our systems here at the National Severe Storm Lab here in Norman (HAHA just kidding), don't let our illegitimate in-laws down the hall spook you KTULU7, about the worst you will see is severe thunderstorms today in the morning. Now if you really want the crap scared out of you by some tornadoes come do some field work with us this summer.

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/observations/
    Can you explain why tornadoes, with a few exceptions, rarely touch down in north central LA? It seems like every year northwest LA gets hammered and then it skips over us and regains strength in the northeastern LA area.

Champ ddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond repute ddgravy's Avatar

Surprisingly, that tornado that set down in Crowley was only a EF2, which although is still an awesome sight to behold is still fairly small. I had the privilege (if you want to call it that) of being in Oklahoma City back in 1999 when the big EF5 hit down town Oklahoma City. The monster had over mile wide diameter at its peak when it actually hit Oklahoma City and had a sustained wind speed of about 320 miles per hour. It was so bad that it would lead to the revised Enhanced Fujita Scale that is being used today. Its really the reason why I wanted to work were I work. The super cell that spawned it (shown below) also produced 8 other tornadoes that all it at the same time

That's awesome! Thanks:icon_wink:

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

You mean tornado that set down in Rayne, and living in Rayne yes their is a difference between Rayne yes their is a difference. Similiar to Bossier vs Shreveport, West Monroe vs Monroe, Ruston vs. Grambling etc...

Anyways, yeah the damage that tornado did was pretty awesome (as in awe inspiring not awesome cool) but it was very localized, literaly about 200 yards wide by 3 miles long; out side of that swath nothing.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

I drive from ~BR to Stennis SC every day and I drove through the damage paths of two tornadoes this AM. Actually, I say two but one isn't confirmed yet. The first was in Lacombe and I know it removed a roof. It left some tree debris on the interstate. The second was supposedly a high wind event though based on the damage I saw I suspect analysis will confim a tornado. It broke a pine tree in half and distributed the top of the tree about 100 yards down the interstate and in the median from where it was broken. I could see both halves of the tree (and it wasn't a small tree). It was worse than what I saw in Lacombe and I also read that there were some roofs lost in the vicinity.

I read a spotter indicated a "strong tornado" crossing I-59 in Picayune but I didn't hear of any real damage from the folks I know who live and drive past there.

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    Can you explain why tornadoes, with a few exceptions, rarely touch down in north central LA? It seems like every year northwest LA gets hammered and then it skips over us and regains strength in the northeastern LA area.
    That's an easy question, Atmospheric Science 101 in fact. Louisiana itself sits in the "corner pocket" if you will of the large influx of warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico. Tornadoes traditionally occur in frontal zones or dry lines were the warm moist air meets dry air. This occurs mainly in the United States in the great plains region dubbed Tornado Alley; however a second much small area does exist in the gulf state region called the Southern/Dixie Alley that is caused when the fronts traditionally shift south in the fall; however as you have noticed the front has shifted early this year, thus the cause for the tornado in Rayne. Because of the shifting fronts, tornadoes can occur pretty much anywhere except Antarctica.

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    I drive from ~BR to Stennis SC every day and I drove through the damage paths of two tornadoes this AM. Actually, I say two but one isn't confirmed yet. The first was in Lacombe and I know it removed a roof. It left some tree debris on the interstate. The second was supposedly a high wind event though based on the damage I saw I suspect analysis will confim a tornado. It broke a pine tree in half and distributed the top of the tree about 100 yards down the interstate and in the median from where it was broken. I could see both halves of the tree (and it wasn't a small tree). It was worse than what I saw in Lacombe and I also read that there were some roofs lost in the vicinity.

I read a spotter indicated a "strong tornado" crossing I-59 in Picayune but I didn't hear of any real damage from the folks I know who live and drive past there.

Someone was nice enough to post this National Geographic video on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehdIKf23Wnc

Gotta love Van Halen!!!!!

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    You mean tornado that set down in Rayne, and living in Rayne yes their is a difference between Rayne yes their is a difference. Similiar to Bossier vs Shreveport, West Monroe vs Monroe, Ruston vs. Grambling etc...

Anyways, yeah the damage that tornado did was pretty awesome (as in awe inspiring not awesome cool) but it was very localized, literaly about 200 yards wide by 3 miles long; out side of that swath nothing.
    I was down there Monday and Tuesday inspecting all of the Housing Authority homes that were damaged. Alot of people got very lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    I was down there Monday and Tuesday inspecting all of the Housing Authority homes that were damaged. Alot of people got very lucky!

Just out of curiosity Trey, how bad is the actually structural damage. The few pictures that we have received here show a few permanent buildings with their roofs damaged.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiosity Trey, how bad is the actually structural damage. The few pictures that we have received here show a few permanent buildings with their roofs damaged.
    Not bad....I inspected 2 homes where the roofs were entirely blown off and structures twisted enough that they will have to be bulldozed. Primarily cosmetic type damages......a lot of missing shingles, several front porches were ripped off..........2X4s stuck in several roof tops. There were only 10 or 15 windows broken, which was quite surprising.

The tornado kind of skipped through town instead of blazing a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    Not bad....I inspected 2 homes where the roofs were entirely blown off and structures twisted enough that they will have to be bulldozed. Primarily cosmetic type damages......a lot of missing shingles, several front porches were ripped off..........2X4s stuck in several roof tops. There were only 10 or 15 windows broken, which was quite surprising.

The tornado kind of skipped through town instead of blazing a trail.
    That's actually kind of typical for that classification of tornado. In my profession, I've seen them tear through neighborhoods and all of a sudden jump a house and leave it practically untouched, then set down again a hundred feet later and resume the mass destruction.

Varsity Bulldog Nuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the rough Nuke Dawg's Avatar

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ss...s_north_s.html

A story and pictures of the tornado in Slidell yesterday morning. I went out to get the paper about 6:30, not yet raining, and noticed the "green" sky and knew something was up. If you are at all familiar with Slidell, this area would be very near the intersections of I-10, 12, and 59.

Nuke

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Someone was nice enough to post this National Geographic video on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehdIKf23Wnc

Gotta love Van Halen!!!!!
    I was right BTW

0450 AM TORNADO 4 N LACOMBE 30.37N 89.93W
    03/09/2011 F1 ST. TAMMANY LA NWS STORM SURVEY

TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN SOUTH OF I-12...CROSSED THE
    INTERSTATE AND THEN IMPACTED FAIRHOPE SUBDIVISION. EF1
    DAMAGE IN FAIRHOPE SUBDIVISION WITH BLOWN OUT
    WINDOWS...ROOF DAMAGE...AND BRICK VENEER DAMAGE NOTED.
    WINDS ESTIMATED 95-100 MPH...PATH LENGTH ESTIMATED 2
    MILES...PATH WIDTH ESTIMATED 50 YARDS.

0652 AM TORNADO 2 E SLIDELL 30.28N 89.74W
    03/09/2011 F2 ST. TAMMANY LA NWS STORM SURVEY

TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR PEARL DRIVE AND AZALEA LANE AND
    AND PROCEEDED NORTH-NORTHEAST FOR APPROXIMATELY 2 MILES
    TO NEAR DAVIS LANDING ROAD. APPROXIMATELY 30 HOMES
    DAMAGED IN LAKE VILLAGE SUBDIVISION. SOME HOMES HAD
    PORTIONS OF ROOFING DECK REMOVED. OTHER DAMAGE NEAR LEWIS
    STABLES...ONE HOME WITH TOTAL ROOF LOSS AND PARTIAL ROOF
    LOSS OF ANOTHER HOME. TORNADO RATED LOWER END OF
    EF2...PATH WIDTH APPROXIMATE 250 YARDS...PATH LENGTH
    APPROXIMATELY 2 MILES.

To me there are few tornado videos more impressive than this one. The Elie F5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rl-IlMpfUo

About 0:03 you can see a well built 2 story home rotate around the funnel and then get disintegrated. That foundation was cleaned along with a few others justifying its F5 rating. At 0:13 behind the top right corner of the white structure you can see a large object spinning through the air. That is a large work truck. Miraculously nobody was killed. This video reminds me of the Pampa F4 video which is another quite impressive video.

The Elie tornado was Canada's first (and only?) F5.

+ Reply to Thread