+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible BR area tornadoes?

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Re: Possible BR area tornadoes?

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    I was right BTW

0450 AM TORNADO 4 N LACOMBE 30.37N 89.93W
    03/09/2011 F1 ST. TAMMANY LA NWS STORM SURVEY

TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN SOUTH OF I-12...CROSSED THE
    INTERSTATE AND THEN IMPACTED FAIRHOPE SUBDIVISION. EF1
    DAMAGE IN FAIRHOPE SUBDIVISION WITH BLOWN OUT
    WINDOWS...ROOF DAMAGE...AND BRICK VENEER DAMAGE NOTED.
    WINDS ESTIMATED 95-100 MPH...PATH LENGTH ESTIMATED 2
    MILES...PATH WIDTH ESTIMATED 50 YARDS.

0652 AM TORNADO 2 E SLIDELL 30.28N 89.74W
    03/09/2011 F2 ST. TAMMANY LA NWS STORM SURVEY

TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR PEARL DRIVE AND AZALEA LANE AND
    AND PROCEEDED NORTH-NORTHEAST FOR APPROXIMATELY 2 MILES
    TO NEAR DAVIS LANDING ROAD. APPROXIMATELY 30 HOMES
    DAMAGED IN LAKE VILLAGE SUBDIVISION. SOME HOMES HAD
    PORTIONS OF ROOFING DECK REMOVED. OTHER DAMAGE NEAR LEWIS
    STABLES...ONE HOME WITH TOTAL ROOF LOSS AND PARTIAL ROOF
    LOSS OF ANOTHER HOME. TORNADO RATED LOWER END OF
    EF2...PATH WIDTH APPROXIMATE 250 YARDS...PATH LENGTH
    APPROXIMATELY 2 MILES.

To me there are few tornado videos more impressive than this one. The Elie F5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rl-IlMpfUo

About 0:03 you can see a well built 2 story home rotate around the funnel and then get disintegrated. That foundation was cleaned along with a few others justifying its F5 rating. At 0:13 behind the top right corner of the white structure you can see a large object spinning through the air. That is a large work truck. Miraculously nobody was killed. This video reminds me of the Pampa F4 video which is another quite impressive video.

The Elie tornado was Canada's first (and only?) F5.
    Yes, and as you stated one of the few EF5/F5 that NO ONE got killed.

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

For those of you, like me, who have a natural love for this, I am including a link to our new public relation video for our Vortex 2 project going on here at the NSSL.

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/news/video/..._the_Field.swf

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    I drive from ~BR to Stennis SC every day and I drove through the damage paths of two tornadoes this AM. Actually, I say two but one isn't confirmed yet. The first was in Lacombe and I know it removed a roof. It left some tree debris on the interstate. The second was supposedly a high wind event though based on the damage I saw I suspect analysis will confim a tornado. It broke a pine tree in half and distributed the top of the tree about 100 yards down the interstate and in the median from where it was broken. I could see both halves of the tree (and it wasn't a small tree). It was worse than what I saw in Lacombe and I also read that there were some roofs lost in the vicinity.

I read a spotter indicated a "strong tornado" crossing I-59 in Picayune but I didn't hear of any real damage from the folks I know who live and drive past there.
    Good Lord, why do you drive between BR and Stennis every day? I'm talkin' to someone about an IT job in Covington and will probably commute there from BR for a while, and that seems far even...

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    Good Lord, why do you drive between BR and Stennis every day? I'm talkin' to someone about an IT job in Covington and will probably commute there from BR for a while, and that seems far even...
    BR to covington is a pretty good drive. BR to stennis is crazy. I try to avoid BR at all costs anyway though. My commute is down to half an hour now and it's pretty nice.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Why I drive from BR (actually Denham) to SSC every day ...

Let me see ... long story short. The economy sucks so my previous job was on VERY thin ice. My boss gave me a good 4-6 months lead in letting me know things COULD go south. I looked for a job aggressively nationwide. I took an equivalent paying job at SSC rather than a huge paycut / step back in my career with a local company. I left my previous job on good terms and offloading my salary has helped them stay in business. The real problem is that I am having trouble selling my home. I have two showings this week and that is a step in the right direction but the process has been daunting. Eventually it will sell and I will move much closer to my work. I can afford to carry double notes as a last resort but I am trying to avoid that until the summer. I would PREFER to sell, move and be done with it.

My drive is 90.5 miles or approximately 80 minutes each way. 45 minute commutes for people at SSC aren't uncommon so I figure its not THAT much worse.

$20 a day for gas sucks but I carry on. Given the difficulties other people I know are in I cannot complain too much. I am making my notes and I am not going crazy.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

For three years I commuted from BR to NO every day. Miles weren't as much but the traffic in NO made it worst. Good luck with selling the house.

+ Reply to Thread