+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Change the Baseball Program?

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Re: How Would You Change the Baseball Program?

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    Well, whatever we're doing it's not working. I know that if I had to throw all summer and during fall/winter workouts my arm's going to feel like a wet noodle too. Something's got to give.
    The problem is that when these kids go to their respective summer teams, they get out of a routine, and often become overworked. Believe it or not, Tech watches the amount of stress that pitchers in particular put on their arms through the school year. They aren't allowed to bench using a bar, but rather they do it using dumbells, to reduce the stress on the interior muscles and ligaments of the shoulder and arms. Pitchers are watched strenuously during throwing to maintain that arms are not being over-used. However, for kids coming out of high school or coming back from summer, there is no way of truly knowing the stress put on a guy's shoulder. For instance, take a guy that is signed out of a smaller high school, 2A even 3A and down, in some instances their high school coach may rely on them to throw every game or every other game, which can mean anywhere from 2 days rest to 4 days rest. Without the right kind of conditioning and throwing program, a kid can likely begin damaging their arm long before they reach Tech, add summer programs where kids are not only pitching, but often-times throwing as a position player, and arms are not in that great of shape when the rigors of a 50+ game schedule hit in college. Now you may ask yourself, "Why does it seem like the likes of LSU/Florida/CSF/ UCLA doesn't run into this problem?" Well to be blunt, they ususally get guys that are out of higher level high schools, schools that operate on a level more closely comparable to a college, or they sign kids that have had a "pitching coach" for the better part of their lives. I am open to any other explainations or expansions on this theory... just giving my insight.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    The problem is that when these kids go to their respective summer teams, they get out of a routine, and often become overworked. Believe it or not, Tech watches the amount of stress that pitchers in particular put on their arms through the school year. They aren't allowed to bench using a bar, but rather they do it using dumbells, to reduce the stress on the interior muscles and ligaments of the shoulder and arms. Pitchers are watched strenuously during throwing to maintain that arms are not being over-used. However, for kids coming out of high school or coming back from summer, there is no way of truly knowing the stress put on a guy's shoulder. For instance, take a guy that is signed out of a smaller high school, 2A even 3A and down, in some instances their high school coach may rely on them to throw every game or every other game, which can mean anywhere from 2 days rest to 4 days rest. Without the right kind of conditioning and throwing program, a kid can likely begin damaging their arm long before they reach Tech, add summer programs where kids are not only pitching, but often-times throwing as a position player, and arms are not in that great of shape when the rigors of a 50+ game schedule hit in college. Now you may ask yourself, "Why does it seem like the likes of LSU/Florida/CSF/ UCLA doesn't run into this problem?" Well to be blunt, they ususally get guys that are out of higher level high schools, schools that operate on a level more closely comparable to a college, or they sign kids that have had a "pitching coach" for the better part of their lives. I am open to any other explainations or expansions on this theory... just giving my insight.
    Look a little closer at when our injuries have occured.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    For instance, take a guy that is signed out of a smaller high school, 2A even 3A and down, in some instances their high school coach may rely on them to throw every game or every other game, which can mean anywhere from 2 days rest to 4 days rest. Without the right kind of conditioning and throwing program, a kid can likely begin damaging their arm long before they reach Tech, add summer programs where kids are not only pitching, but often-times throwing as a position player, and arms are not in that great of shape when the rigors of a 50+ game schedule hit in college.
    I think this is the major reason we always have arm problems. Most of the guys we recruit are probably over worked before they even walk on campus and then when you factor in some bad breaks and resulting injuries you get a very depleted pitching staff that has to work overtime to make up the difference. It's kind of a vicious cycle.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFight71 View Post
    I think this is the major reason we always have arm problems. Most of the guys we recruit are probably over worked before they even walk on campus and then when you factor in some bad breaks and resulting injuries you get a very depleted pitching staff that has to work overtime to make up the difference. It's kind of a vicious cycle.
    Sounds good though.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

4 game series doesn't help.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFight71 View Post
    We aren't the only college recruiting high school kids...it seems that last 5-6 years we have had more than the average amount of injuries for pitchers. Every college deals with arm issues
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Don't do a road trip like the one they just finished with 4 games at Baylor before 3 games at Rice. Play only one of them a season and no more than 3 games or go play U. Houston. Keep trying to schedule ULL, Southern Miss, etc. home and away series over every 2 years.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Be able to generate some runs and hit for better average against above average teams. I don't care what they can score against Alcorn, Grambling, Nichols, etc. This offense is struggling big time whe outside short fences at home.

Puppy Woods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter View Post
    Be able to generate some runs and hit for better average against above average teams. I don't care what they can score against Alcorn, Grambling, Nichols, etc. This offense is struggling big time whe outside short fences at home.
    Its seems like everyone, except for maybe Trelkeld, is having a worse year this year than last year. Can the new bats be making that much difference?

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Dawg View Post
    Its seems like everyone, except for maybe Trelkeld, is having a worse year this year than last year. Can the new bats be making that much difference?
    Yes. The new bats have made a drastic change to college baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6232833

Old news, but nlulm and lafayette won't play us. We should be able to win one of 3 or 4 on the road against Baylor or Rice. We got smoked.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Old news, but nlulm and lafayette won't play us. We should be able to win one of 3 or 4 on the road against Baylor or Rice. We got smoked.
    Should be able to win at least 1
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Big Dog WonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of light WonderDawg's Avatar

It is good to hear that the new bats are part of our problem. If Rice had the old bats we wouold have lost by 40. Our problem is one of two things. Poor recuiting or Poor coaching. Or possibly some of each.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDawg View Post
    It is good to hear that the new bats are part of our problem. If Rice had the old bats we wouold have lost by 40. Our problem is one of two things. Poor recuiting or Poor coaching. Or possibly some of each.
    This can be part of the arm problem as well. I play baseball and manage a team, and can tell you that some guys create their own arm problems for sure, throwing even though they're not supposed to. We could be recruiting immature guys or those that are poorly coached in high school, as has previously been alluded to. There's no excuse for most of our starters ruining their arms over the summer. If they knew what they were doing in the first place, they wouldn't be out there throwing like maniacs all summer. It's simply irresponsible. Recruiting is as much about physical athletics as it is about how smart a kid is. Those are just my two cents anyway...

Varsity Bulldog hachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her gamehachiman is on top of his/her game hachiman's Avatar

There is no exact formula to prevent arm injuries. I know guys that had bad bodies and did not take care of themselves that never had arm problems, I also know guys that worked hard and took care of their arms only to have TJ or other injuries. I personally did not take good care of my arm, one summer while in college i took the mound without stretching and only throwing a few as hard as I could in the bullpen(dumb I know) and I never had any kind of injury to my throwing arm. Most arm injuries of guys that I played with were not anybody's fault. Shit happens when you fling a ball as hard as you can in a unnatural movement time after time again.

+ Reply to Thread