+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officiating

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Officiating

Before I begin let me say that the refs are not the reason we lost. However I do think they played a big role in our failure to get in a rhythm early. Right or wrong, the low post was allowed to play very physical tonight.

But how the hell can you blow a called 5th foul on a player and then several minutes later expect it to remedy your mistake by taking the player out then? I don't know if there is a set procedure for handling this situation if it arises. But a lot of this could've been solved by the refs not trying to rush the play to continue.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Re: Officiating

That was very odd. They didn't lose it for us though, we were totally and completely "out manned." We need to find us some big girls some where, some how if we ever want to compete at a higher level than we are now.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Rutgers had those 2 massive girls inside to go along with a few "AJ-like" players. We clearly were lacking the size to compete.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The refs sucked. They can't even count to five. Funny thing is, the Rutgers player knew she had fouled out....apparently she can count to five...and started to leave the court twice. But her teammates held her back, then when it was obvious the official scorer had blown it, the Rutgers coaching staff motioned for her to remain out there.

Therefore, Rutgers played (about 10 mins) with an ineligible player. I'd say they should have to forfeit, but I don't want to see the Techsters get drilled by aTm! So, forget it!

As for the physical play, #52 for them committed 6 fouls, all in the 1st half and made it to halftime with NO fouls, officially. Refs sucked.

But, we would have lost anyway. Maybe by only 10-12 pts, but we would have still lost.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The refs sucked. They can't even count to five. Funny thing is, the Rutgers player knew she had fouled out....apparently she can count to five...and started to leave the court twice. But her teammates held her back, then when it was obvious the official scorer had blown it, the Rutgers coaching staff motioned for her to remain out there.
    It's not the responsibility of the three refs on the floor to keep up with the fouls of each individual player in the game. Not only isn't it their responsibility, it's practically impossible to do. The official scorer, which in this case should have been an NCAA official, should have been on top of that.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    It's not the responsibility of the three refs on the floor to keep up with the fouls of each individual player in the game. Not only isn't it their responsibility, it's practically impossible to do. The official scorer, which in this case should have been an NCAA official, should have been on top of that.
    The jumbotron even had the fouls right. It felt like Spoon was trying to figure out what was happening and the refs were just trying to speed up the game action.

Big Dog Snapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    Before I begin let me say that the refs are not the reason we lost. However I do think they played a big role in our failure to get in a rhythm early. Right or wrong, the low post was allowed to play very physical tonight.

But how the hell can you blow a called 5th foul on a player and then several minutes later expect it to remedy your mistake by taking the player out then? I don't know if there is a set procedure for handling this situation if it arises. But a lot of this could've been solved by the refs not trying to rush the play to continue.
    Other than the 5th foul screw up, which was no factor in the outcome of the game; and, from the perspective of watching from TV, I thought the game was well called. Rutgers was very good, deeper talent, well coached and better than we are. To play at the top level we will have to have more height, a deeper bench and better preparation on a known defensive scheme.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

How long did she play with the 5 fouls? That was messed up! Sadly, it didn't matter...

I'm scared to think that it may have been TECH officials at the scorer's table because we were the host team. Was it TECH officials who didn't catch it, or was there an official not affiliated with us in charge of this?

They were also really, really slow updating the score after each basket was made, and they had trouble keeping up with which players were in or out of the game on the individual fouls/points section of the board.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    Rutgers had those 2 massive girls inside to go along with a few "AJ-like" players. We clearly were lacking the size to compete.
    Yep, which is something I said at the very beginning of the season. We needed Anderson to be a consistent contributor on this team for us to be competitive. Too bad she got very, very little playing time this season. It wasn't like we had an off night tonight. We simply didn't have the horses to be competitive.

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdawg View Post
    Other than the 5th foul screw up, which was no factor in the outcome of the game; and, from the perspective of watching from TV, I thought the game was well called. Rutgers was very good, deeper talent, well coached and better than we are. To play at the top level we will have to have more height, a deeper bench and better preparation on a known defensive scheme.
    And Rutgers is not even at the elite level like A&M.

Did anyone else notice how long it took the score change on several occassions, I was wondering if there was a delay or maybe the scores table was extremely slow

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I know that. Hell, I used to ref basketball. I also knew when a player had been called multiple times for fouls and would monitor the foul situation, often going to the official scorer and asking "how many is that on #____" and sometimes, as a ref, I would whisper to a player "you've got 4 fouls, be careful." If I thought a player was getting close to 5, I'd ask the official scorer, especially if I was there to record another one on that player.

But, absolutely NO WAY would a player be allowed to continue with 5 fouls. This was supposed to be a selected crew by the NCAA. They were not good and they embarrassed themselves with a major gaffe. Did they alter the outcome? Of course not, but they were inconsistent and allowed the thugs from the Big East...which, BTW, if you watch college basketball you hear all the time the BE allows physical play, more than other conferences....to mug our girls. That #52 committed 6 fouls in the 1st Half alone, and went to halftime with ZERO fouls called on her. It did affect the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdawg View Post
    Well when the 5th foul occurred we were down by like 20 with like what 8-10 minutes left? When they corrected it we were down by like 25-28 with 3 minutes left. It probably wouldn't have made a difference. But losing one of their post presence 5-7 minutes earlier would've opened up a lot more on their D which could've made it a closer game.

As far as the other calls, my biggest issue is consistency. If a foul is a foul it should be called on both sides of the court and in both halves. Rutgers ended the night with 21 fouls I believe. And I'm pretty sure about 15 of those came in the 2nd half. Rutgers really wasn't playing any different in either half.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    How long did she play with the 5 fouls? That was messed up! Sadly, it didn't matter...

I'm scared to think that it may have been TECH officials at the scorer's table because we were the host team. Was it TECH officials who didn't catch it, or was there an official not affiliated with us in charge of this?

They were also really, really slow updating the score after each basket was made, and they had trouble keeping up with which players were in or out of the game on the individual fouls/points section of the board.
    Sam Speed is our official scorer, right? Cause I saw him sitting over by the Hoop Troop.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

We got the crap beaten out of us by the fourth placed team in the Big East. We made a good step in the right direction this year, just keep focusing on the next step.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

She was still on the court for several minutes after the 5th foul. There was some confusion after the foul was initially called, but after a brief conference with the scorers, she stayed in the game until she was yanked a few minutes later.

+ Reply to Thread