+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Quran Burning

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

Re: Quran Burning

Quote Originally Posted by Yarfunkle View Post
    You must forget that in America most citizens have the knowledge not to go harm people because they express contradictory opinions.

You must forget that there are people in this world who HATE US simply because we offer a different way of life. They cannot be reasoned with. Talking with them and trying to understand them is not the answer for some. Some radicals believe that you MUST be Muslim or one of two things happen, They make you a slave, or they kill you. Period. No other choices.

How is that for knowledge?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I'm not deciding who is "more Christian" nor splitting hairs with it. I'm grouping it all in together because that is how it should be. Denying those, the Crusades, or anything else done by Christians because they don't jive with current beliefs on what is Christianity doesn't change that they are done by Christians. There is a reason they are associated with Christiniaty and not individuals or in spite.
    The problem is that there are different definitions of Christian.

To much of the world, if you are American, you are "Christian." So whatever the U.S. government does, Christians do.

Some pollsters allow you to self-associate. If you say you are Christian, they count you.

Some adhere to a (probably variable depending on who is asking) basic association with traditional, orthodox, historical Christian belief.

Quite a few churches would rule out anyone who doesn't meet some doctrinal or practical standard (not baptized, not immersed, not member of that church, not adhering to a creed or confession or statement of faith, etc.)

And this isn't just some retroactive thing. I'm pretty sure the Eastern Orthodox Christians weren't too crazy about the 4th crusade. You think they didn't condemn it as "unchristian?" Of course they did.

Protestants got burned in the Inquisition. I'm pretty sure they didn't think it was all that Christ-like an activity.

Just because an act was done by a Christian, doesn't make it a Christian act. Just because it was done by a church doesn't make it a Christian act. And just because you claim to be a Christian (or a church, or the church) doesn't make that the case either.

There is nothing wrong or unusual or surprising about a modern (or historical) Christian condemning past (or current) acts perpetuated by others claiming to represent Christianity as wrong or unrepresentative.
    Last edited by inudesu; 04-26-2011 at 09:43 AM.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I agree. But I'm not naming acts perpetuated by individuals such as OKC bombing r the abortion clinic bombings, but by the establishment itself.
    What establishment?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    It's called our Judeo-Christian values and belief system Yarfunkle.
    I'd wager it's more related to our general enlightenment. With more knowledge comes more power.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I'd wager it's more related to our general enlightenment. With more knowledge comes more power.
    Denile......

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

To much of the world, if you are American, you are "Christian." So whatever the U.S. government does, Christians do.

Some pollsters allow you to self-associate. If you say you are Christian, they count you.

Some adhere to a (probably variable depending on who is asking) basic association with traditional, orthodox, historical Christian belief.

Quite a few churches would rule out anyone who doesn't meet some doctrinal or practical standard (not baptized, not immersed, not member of that church, not adhering to a creed or confession or statement of faith, etc.)

And this isn't just some retroactive thing. I'm pretty sure the Eastern Orthodox Christians weren't too crazy about the 4th crusade. You think they didn't comdemn it as "unchristian?" Of course they did.

Protestants got burned in the Inquisition. I'm pretty sure they didn't think it was all that Christ-like an activity.

Just because an act was done by a Christian, doesn't make it a Christian act. Just because it was done by a church doesn't make it a Christian act. And just because you claim to be a Christian (or a church, or the church) doesn't make that the case either.

There is nothing wrong or unusual or surprising about a modern (or historical) Christian condemning past (or current) acts perpetuated by others claiming to represent Christianity as wrong or unrepresentative.
    And some , like Obama, think they are a Christian just by attending "Christian" church or walking through a door to one. Franklin Graham, on a recent Sunday show, alluded to this after speaking with Obama.

Thanks for detailing that out for JuBru! I didn't have the patience.

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Denile......
    Is a river in Egypt.

And no, it's not denial. What's one of the main differences in Christians today as opposed to Christians in the dark ages?

Knowledge/enlightenment.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

And this isn't just some retroactive thing. I'm pretty sure the Eastern Orthodox Christians weren't too crazy about the 4th crusade. You think they didn't condemn it as "unchristian?" Of course they did.

That's not how it works, and you know it. These acts are associated as Christian acts. Them not being Christ-like doesn't change them being done in the name of Christ for Christianity. Adding a little disclaimer doesn't change them being associated. In doing so, you are making the statement that Christians have done no wrong, ever.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    What establishment?
    Pick any sect, but Christianity itself. The major one, for most of Christian history, is the Roman Catholic church obviously. But Protestants have done their fair share of atrocities as well (example: Salem Witch Trials). I am not separating too much between them all because they all, in essense, share the same beliefs (the practice of those beliefs is the main difference, imo).

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

That's not how it works, and you know it. These acts are associated as Christian acts. Them not being Christ-like doesn't change them being done in the name of Christ for Christianity. Adding a little disclaimer doesn't change them being associated. In doing so, you are making the statement that Christians have done no wrong, ever.
    That absolutely is how it works. Even before the word Christian was a word, different people have claimed that they represented Christ despite the fact that their actions were directly contradictory of Christ's words and of the actions of other people claiming to be followers of Christ.

Not only do I not have to accept that they all represent Christianity, to do so would be impossible because we're often talking about two directly opposing views. All I can do is try to develop my own view of what the teaching of Christ is and what previous actions best exemplify that.

I'm not trying to absolve other Christians (or "Christians") of wrongs that they've done. I'm not trying to say that you have to be perfect to be a Christian. I don't think that every bad thing ever done was done by a non-Christian. I'm not even saying that others have (and do) sometimes seen the actions of a given person (or group) and (wrongly, in my view - like you're doing here) tried to make those actions representative of the faith.

If all you are saying is that sometimes people want to make the Crusades, Inquisition, and so forth representative of normal Christian faith then I think you're right.

But I think they are wrong.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Is a river in Egypt.

And no, it's not denial. What's one of the main differences in Christians today as opposed to Christians in the dark ages?

Knowledge/enlightenment.
    Couldn't you just as easily say reformation? Show me where the Christians of the dark ages were acting in accordance with the Scripture and you'll have an argument. If they are acting contrary to the Scripture and contrary to Christ, I can only logically conclude that they were not following the tenants of Christianity when they did what they did.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Is a river in Egypt.

Knowledge/enlightenment.
    That's how far off based you are on this one.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yarfunkle
    Is a river in Egypt.

Knowledge/enlightenment.

.....and what's the difference in muslims today as opposed to the dark ages....... not much.

+ Reply to Thread