+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Return of Small Ball

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

The Return of Small Ball

After 27 games, the DAWGS have 10 HR's. Will Alvis is the team leader with 5. I haven't done a lot of research but I suspect that most teams have experienced a major reduction in HR's because of the new bat.

In the games I've watched there has a noticeable shift in coaching strategy. We are getting away from depending on the long ball, to playing small ball. We are doing things to advance runners and trying to manufacture runs.

Yesterday there was an unsuccessful attempt to steal home. In two different innings, we had runners on first and third with less than 2 out and the runner at first broke to 2nd. The first time the runner at 3rd scored on the throw to second but the next time the runner at 3rd was thrown out by the infielder who cutoff the ball and fired it to the catcher.

I remember a couple of sacrifice attempts. One was a pop foul caught by the first baseman but the other one worked.

We also seem to be attempting more steals. Even big Alex Williams stole 2nd base without a throw by the catcher.

I'm enjoying the return to the basics of baseball very much. I wonder if our conference opponents are adjusting to the change in the bat by playing better small ball.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Re: The Return of Small Ball

I like it. It's the way baseball was meant to be played. All that's left now is bringing back wooden bats.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

It's probably for the best, but I gotta admit I like watching the homers fly out, as long as they are off of the bats of the good guys.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    I like it. It's the way baseball was meant to be played. All that's left now is bringing back wooden bats.
    That won't happen... financially irresponsible. Colleges just don't have the cash to keep replinishing bats after others are broken.

+ Reply to Thread