+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vehicle mechanics

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

vehicle mechanics

I work on my own vehicles when I can.

I've never replaced a CV Axle. I'm told it is pretty easy. Anybody have words of wisdom?

'06 Kia Optima (btw, never buy a Kia).

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: vehicle mechanics

I know it involves some hammering (maybe with some special tools) to remove the joint from the knuckle. That's probably the most difficult part, prying those two apart.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Never done it, but it seems like it would be pretty straightforward.

Remove tire, remove axle nut, remove suspension support arm, turn rotor outward, disconnect axle from rotor, disconnect axle from transmission, and then reverse the steps for installation of new axle. Disconnecting the axle from the transmission could be the hardest part, but if you had something that could grip the "collar" of the axle next to the transmission (like a clamp or vice) joint you could tap the clamp/vice to overcome the bearing. I am sure you want to be careful not to mess up the splines in the process, so be gentle with disconnecting/connecting to the transmission.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Varsity Bulldog jellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the rough jellidawg's Avatar

Dad and I changed them on both of my sisters' cars. One was a Corolla and the other was a Subaru. Thinking back, they were pretty much the same. It just took time and a little patience. For some reason, I am thinking that we changed the front struts while we were at it because we had to take them off as well to remove the old CV axle. That was the only special tool that I remember us having to have were spring compressors.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Never done it, but it seems like it would be pretty straightforward.

Remove tire, remove axle nut, remove suspension support arm, turn rotor outward, disconnect axle from rotor, disconnect axle from transmission, and then reverse the steps for installation of new axle. Disconnecting the axle from the transmission could be the hardest part, but if you had something that could grip the "collar" of the axle next to the transmission (like a clamp or vice) joint you could tap the clamp/vice to overcome the bearing. I am sure you want to be careful not to mess up the splines in the process, so be gentle with disconnecting/connecting to the transmission.

Yep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lgwF8mdQwlw

+ Reply to Thread