+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ULM Students Decide Sports Activity Fees

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: ULM Students Decide Sports Activity Fees

We max out "Direct Institutional Support" with zero showing up in student fees. However, I'm pretty sure some student fees are there. Somebody else needs to explain the book keeping.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    And can someone check my math?
    The article states that ulm students currently contribute $22/semester towards athletics. At an undergraduate enrolment of 6,007 students, $22 x 6,007 students x 2 semesters = $264,308, NOT the $2.3M Tabby stated in the article.

Please explain.
    Your math is right. Basically, the article's fuzzy math would make Al Gore blush.

1. The Audit of the ULM Athletic Department states that student fees generated $362,045 for the 2009-10 school year. (see link in Message #11 for the Audit Report)

2. The student fee applies to all students, not just the undergraduate students that the article implies. ULM had 9,004 students in Fall 2009 and 8,185 students in Spring 2010. BTW, the number of undergrads in 2009-2010 was 8,148 in Fall 2009 & 7,302 in Spring 2010, not the 6,007 students as the article indicates. If every student paid the $22/semester fee, the total student fees would equal $378,158 which is close to the amount stated in the ULM AD AUdit.

http://www.ulm.edu/upa/09Factbook/ULM09FactBook.pdf (see pages 51-52 of 2009 ULM Factbook)

3. The $2.3 million Tabby stated in the article is the amount of money ULM pays out in athletic student aid to the ULM student athletes. It is not a revenue stream. The LSU grad who wrote the article does not know the difference between revenue and expenses.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    We max out "Direct Institutional Support" with zero showing up in student fees. However, I'm pretty sure some student fees are there. Somebody else needs to explain the book keeping.
    The "Get More" referendum of 2004 passed with greater than 70% of the vote and included a provision for a $10 per quarter student fee for athletics. The entire package was for a $25 per quarter fee with the other $15 going toward student organizations. This fee cannot be found on Tech's Expense Sheet.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

tld2999
    9:39 AM on April 7, 2011
    Are these people nuts? This is the first I've heard of this and I'm a ULM student. I pay enough for tuition and books, the last thing I need is another $120 added to my bill for something that I could care less about. I'm there for an education not for the sports.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Guess we know why the nlulm AD wanted to appear before TNS editorial board on Wednesday.

. . . . plus only 3 posts on their open board about this.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    According to the rules governing the UL System, student fees cannot be used for operating funds but can be used to retire debt for athletic facilities. Some of those at Tech will be dedicated to the QFE.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Guess we know why the nlulm AD wanted to appear before TNS editorial board on Wednesday.
    Yep.

Tabby may be over working herself. She is doing a great job of getting abundant sports info written on the war hocks, but she should leave the numbers stuff to the business folks at TNS. Do they still have any business folks (besides Hilburn) employed?

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    According to the rules governing the UL System, student fees cannot be used for operating funds but can be used to retire debt for athletic facilities. Some of those at Tech will be dedicated to the QFE.
    I don't think it's the UL System. I'm pretty sure it's the Louisiana Board of Regents. Students fees can be used for operating funds, but they count against the school's transfer of direct institutional support to athletics, which cannot exceed 3% of the school's general budget. ULM is the only Louisiana school that has student fees for athletics because they cannot afford to transfer the 3% max. If a fee is passed to fund a specific project, then it is not considered part of the athletic budget, and thus, does not limit the transfer of funds to athletics.

I don't think it's the UL System. I'm pretty sure it's the Louisiana Board of Regents. Students fees can be used for operating funds, but they count against the school's transfer of direct institutional support to athletics, which cannot exceed 3% of the school's general budget. ULM is the only Louisiana school that has student fees for athletics because they cannot afford to transfer the 3% max. If a fee is passed to fund a specific project, then it is not considered part of the athletic budget, and thus, does not limit the transfer of funds to athletics.
    Please include this in your letter to the editor.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

If it's for a specific project then in my mind that means it's for a specific period, an ongoing or permanent fee would be against the BoR's regulation correct?

Varsity Bulldog FieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really nice FieldDawg's Avatar

Here goes copy of the board of regent policy on the use of state funds for athletics.

http://www.laregentsarchive.com/pdfs...e/policies.pdf

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    I think they may be trying to find a way to pay for that video board.

Varsity Bulldog FieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really niceFieldDawg is just really nice FieldDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post

that could be it, because I saw somwhere were they were having trouble getting sponsors for the board

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Looking at those comments doesn't look like the students are behind this...

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

I don't think there's any doubt this is ALL about the video board and score boards.

ULM - champions of grasping at straws

and the Cleveland Browns...

+ Reply to Thread