+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: West Monroe Baseball News

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: West Monroe Baseball News

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    Sims is a good "coach". My son played for the man for 3 years so I saw the good and the bad on the field and a little off the field. He definitely knows the game but sometimes he lets his mouth get him into trouble. When he first came to WM, coming from a bad situation at Ouachita, he immediately put his defenses up in regards to the parents, basically threatening the respective players with bench time if his parents complained. If you got on his good side and he thought you (the player) could make him look good then you appeared to get preferential treatment in playing time and other considerations. If he didn't think you could help him out then, as a player you had to bust you butt just to get on the field unless he had no other option. I saw him drive a boy off the team as a senior, telling his parents he had no talent, when Sims himself had selected the boy for the team as a sophomore, junior and senior. Most parents walked on eggshells around the man to keep their sons playing time at a maximum. He toned down the yelling and screaming during the game in his third year and kept his temper in check for the most part up through my sons graduation. He didn't appear to help those players that had college potential unless, like I mentioned earlier, you were his golden boy. When I say help, little things like mentioning signing up for the NCAA clearinghouse, which was never mentioned to my son. That had to be told to him by his future college coach.

The man hates to lose (what coach does) but he took it hard, especially if you didn't play to what he considered your potential. He has berated players (again what coach hasn't) but sometimes went over the line. I have heard that after recent loses to Nachitoches Central, he got very upset at the players and let them know it. I also heard that the parents complained. Could this have been why he was suspended for two game? I have no idea but evidently, something transposed after this incident that led to his resigning (forced?). We'll probably never know the real reasons why he resigned but this couldn't help his coaching career IMO.
    Sounds like the H.S. baseball coach we had here at Tyler Lee for 15 years or so. Dude was a total jerk!! Finally he got run off 12-13 years ago and the program has been much better off since!

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Sounds like the H.S. baseball coach we had here at Tyler Lee for 15 years or so. Dude was a total jerk!! Finally he got run off 12-13 years ago and the program has been much better off since!
    Well, everyone has opinions on coaches. If your son (or daughter) does not play much, then the coach obviously doesn't know what he's doing but if your child is a good athlete and starts continuously and the team wins (!), then the coach is great.

We stuck it out because my son did bust his butt and did earn a starting spot (he truly loves the game). Yes, sometimes, I didn't agree with the actions of the coach(es) but you do what you can to help your child, even with putting up with some unpleasantries. Granted, we all have different levels of acceptable unpleasantries.

I hate to see a program that my family was once part of get a conceived black eye in the media and in the general public's mind.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    They still have a freshman team. He just combines them with a few jv players.
    Wouldn't that then make it a JV team, thus getting rid of the freshman team?
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Wouldn't that then make it a JV team, thus getting rid of the freshman team?
    I guess you can call it what you want. I guess you could just as easily say he did away with jv. Right?

Big Dog Sw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to all Sw's Avatar

No it is not the same. There is a big difference in boys between 9th and 10th grade. If you put 10th graders on a team and call it a 9th grade team that is completely different than letting some 9th graders work in on the 10th grade team.
    I am about as close to one of the 9th grade programs as anyone else and there is no doubt when you are taking on a bunch of 10th graders.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sw View Post
    No it is not the same. There is a big difference in boys between 9th and 10th grade. If you put 10th graders on a team and call it a 9th grade team that is completely different than letting some 9th graders work in on the 10th grade team.
    I am about as close to one of the 9th grade programs as anyone else and there is no doubt when you are taking on a bunch of 10th graders.
    Not sure I understand what you're saying, but when WM plays other freshman teams only the freshmen play. Then when the jv plays, those same freshmen play as well as a few older guys. Don't really see a problem with that.

Big Dog Sw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to all Sw's Avatar

As long as only 9th graders play against 9th graders then that is fine. Only the reverse is an issue.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Not sure I understand what you're saying, but when WM plays other freshman teams only the freshmen play. Then when the jv plays, those same freshmen play as well as a few older guys. Don't really see a problem with that.
    You sure about this?

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    You sure about this?
    Yep, pretty sure. But I really wouldn't have a problem either way.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

I don't know the situation over there, but I do empathize for him. Parents are the main reason why I don't teach and coach jr high kids anymore. The complaints to the principal and parents trying to rally other parents to have you fired all because their baby was not starting or not playing enough was the final straw for me.
    Last edited by TECH88; 04-14-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Yep, pretty sure. But I really wouldn't have a problem either way.
    You mean you wouldn't have a problem with no freshman baseball?

WM has many baseball players who will never get a shot. Obviously only a few (and not always the best) will make varsity. It's probably more of a Shows call than a baseball HC call and IMO the baseball HC should focus on winning varsity baseball games anyway. We all know Shows doesn't care about anything but football.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

WM has many baseball players who will never get a shot. Obviously only a few (and not always the best) will make varsity. It's probably more of a Shows call than a baseball HC call and IMO the baseball HC should focus on winning varsity baseball games anyway. We all know Shows doesn't care about anything but football.
    So seriously, Shows can have 25 football assistants, but the baseball program can't have enough assistants to field a freshman and a JV team??? A program like West Monroe, such as many of the powers in Texas, should have TWO jv and TWO freshman teams!
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

So seriously, Shows can have 25 football assistants, but the baseball program can't have enough assistants to field a freshman and a JV team??? A program like West Monroe, such as many of the powers in Texas, should have TWO jv and TWO freshman teams!
    Preachin' to the choir here.

No, I meant having a few sophomores playing with the freshmen.

Pretty much...

+ Reply to Thread