+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tornadoes Ravage Eastern Oklahoma

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Tornadoes Ravage Eastern Oklahoma

Could have used you yesterday Hookdown, had a couple set down yesterday in the eastern part of the state. Probably wasn't the greatest time to be living in the cities of Stroud, Tushka, or Milburn. Season is starting out with a bang this year.

Attached Images Attached Images

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Re: Tornadoes Ravage Eastern Oklahoma

Tornadoes have fascinated me since I was small. My family lived in Topeka Kansas when I was small. We saw a lot of funnel clouds pass through the area. Watching the clouds churn with the knowledge that you should be taking shelter always seemed to get the adrenalin flowing. You could always tell things weren't quite right when the grass seemed to stand tall and everything looked greener than normal.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Tornadoes have fascinated me since I was small. My family lived in Topeka Kansas when I was small. We saw a lot of funnel clouds pass through the area. Watching the clouds churn with the knowledge that you should be taking shelter always seemed to get the adrenalin flowing. You could always tell things weren't quite right when the grass seemed to stand tall and everything looked greener than normal.
    You'll have to stop by and do a tour of the National Severe Storm Center next time you come through this way; being a Navy guy you'd get a real kick of our "war room". You would be surprised how much the National Weather Service and the Navy have a history together.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Air Force but got my Masters at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey. I will take you up on that if I ever get up that way. Right now I'm just praying for rain here in San Antonio. We are already on Stage 1 water restrictions down here and the summer hasn't even gotten started yet.

So why does everything look green when those funnel clouds are around?
    WWDog
    La Tech

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, where's that rain... I was getting texts from Weather.com about tornado warnings in Baton Rouge while I was in the Stone Oak area in San Antonio today, shielding my eyes from the dust being blown in the high winds coming from the north... It's awesome not dealing with daily rain, but it certainly isn't good to have water restrictions.

Also, yeah, why does everything look kinda green when a tornado's about to hit?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I have noticed it's a lot windier than I can remember. Kind of notice the wind more when you are out riding a bike. I'm no Lance Armstrong and those headwinds are a beast!

It has to be "climate change" causing all this wind. It's usually 20 mph, just about every day, with gusts at 30+ mph. Used to be 5-8 mph was the norm. Yep....the globe is changing, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    Yeah, where's that rain... I was getting texts from Weather.com about tornado warnings in Baton Rouge while I was in the Stone Oak area in San Antonio today, shielding my eyes from the dust being blown in the high winds coming from the north... It's awesome not dealing with daily rain, but it certainly isn't good to have water restrictions.

Also, yeah, why does everything look kinda green when a tornado's about to hit?

Actually, contrary to popular belief green clouds do not mean tornadoes are eminent.

Although, the origin of green clouds is still not known for sure, we have undertaken several experiments here at the NSSL to determine the origin. The general hypothesis is currently that it is caused by moisture and hail (not clear ice however) that cause refraction of the yellow sunlight.

If you really like severe storms we have actually created a primer for the public on our website.

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/primer/

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Twister View Post
    Actually, contrary to popular belief green clouds do not mean tornadoes are eminent.

Although, the origin of green clouds is still not known for sure, we have undertaken several experiments here at the NSSL to determine the origin. The general hypothesis is currently that it is caused by moisture and hail (not clear ice however) that cause refraction of the yellow sunlight.

If you really like severe storms we have actually created a primer for the public on our website.

I have a question Dr. Twister: What do you think of the Weather Channel's torcon system?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Twister View Post

I thought it might be something like the why is the sky blue question. Raley scattering being the answer.
    WWDog
    La Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    I have a question Dr. Twister: What do you think of the Weather Channel's torcon system?
    I would be a lot happier if Greg Forbes could narrow his area down a little tighter than 50 miles, that's kind of a broad area and it still doesn't guarantee an actual event. Your local weatherman at KNOE and KTVE could probably give you the same localized results if the had the same number of staff to study the approaching storm front.

Its got to be tough being Greg Forbes, he has to live in an awful big shadow when it comes to tornado forecasting. We all strive to live up to be comparable to Dr Fujita, but to have worked and studied under the man himself has got to put a lot of pressure on you.

+ Reply to Thread