+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oakes for Tech Hall of Fame

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Oakes for Tech Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Actually - like most things with the passage of time and the understanding of how Tech does business (for the most part it has NOT changed like some people think it has) - I think Jim's tenure is viewed in a different light, even his last few years, than it was four years ago...

I know this for a fact - Dooley nor Bruce love TECH the way Jim LOVES Tech...

90% of the onus for our past shortcomings and current woes rest squarely on the shoulders of our current president
    Agreed....

Jim's tenure lasted 7-9 years too long. Hindsight says that getting a new AD between when Tech got the WAC inviation in 1999 and when it actually joined in 2001 would have been the right time. Not nearly enough was done to ride the momentum of that move, and again the blame rides the express elevator to the 16th Floor.

Varsity Bulldog Cactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really nice Cactus Rob's Avatar

Everyone seems to love to hate something or someone... bottom line... if Oakes didn't put us in the WAC, we would be in the Sun Belt (a place that everyone loves to hate) or worse than that, we would be independent and still broke as a joke. Oakes is a HOFer!

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

I'm still hoping to see "Rebel" Oakes in the Tech Athletic Hall of Fame one day. I've researched him for a nomination to the HOF but the linked article is the most complete biography to date on Tech's first ever professional player: http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/37539897

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    When I saw this thread title, I was thinking it was referring to Jim Oakes.
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
    I'm still hoping to see "Rebel" Oakes in the Tech Athletic Hall of Fame one day. I've researched him for a nomination to the HOF but the linked article is the most complete biography to date on Tech's first ever professional player: http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/37539897
    Good stuff!

Big Dog BullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the rough BullPupN'46's Avatar

Thanks to John D. jr another BPN'46. Most interesting article and well worthy of considering for HoF..

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

I’ve been advocating for Ennis T. Oakes to be inducted into the Louisiana Tech Athletic Hall of Fame for several years. As Tech is currently seeking nominations for the 2021 class for the Hall of Fame, I'm hoping this is the year he gets in!

It's time. After all, he was Tech’s first athlete to play professionally. He was a highly respected Major League Baseball player and manager. Later in life he was an oil man and brought in the first well in the rich Lisbon Oil & Gas Field in Claiborne Parish. Oakes made many Claiborne Parish landowners wealthy by drilling on their land.

Oakes grew up in the Arizona Community in Claiborne Parish. The family moved to Ruston in the early 1900s so the children could attend Louisiana Tech, then called Louisiana Industrial Institute.

Recently I discovered another Tech grad, prolific Louisiana author Sam Mims, wrote a book about Oakes in 1940 called "Oil is Where You Find It." Mims and Oakes were students together during Tech’s early days. Before Tech ever allocated any funds for athletics, Oakes and Mims teamed up to raise funds for equipment. They put on a football game charging 5 cents admission to watch the “Oakites” play the "Miminites.”

Oakes went on to play baseball while Mims joined the Marines during WWI, then became a lawyer and wrote books. To learn of a book that gives Oakes’s life story was a thrill but now I have much more material to use to write about this man. Maybe it will help obtain the recognition he deserves in the Tech Hall of Fame as a student leader, exceptional student athlete, professional player and businessman.

Oakes was nicknamed "Rebel" by northern ball players who kidded him about his accent and Southern roots. The sports reporters quickly took up the moniker.

In 2020, a photo of Oakes was placed on the cover of "Historic Claiborne 2020," a book on the history of Claiborne Parish by the local history club.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I’ve been advocating for Ennis T. Oakes to be inducted into the Louisiana Tech Athletic Hall of Fame for several years. As Tech is currently seeking nominations for the 2021 class for the Hall of Fame, I'm hoping this is the year he gets in!

It's time. After all, he was Tech’s first athlete to play professionally. He was a highly respected Major League Baseball player and manager. Later in life he was an oil man and brought in the first well in the rich Lisbon Oil & Gas Field in Claiborne Parish. Oakes made many Claiborne Parish landowners wealthy by drilling on their land.

Oakes grew up in the Arizona Community in Claiborne Parish. The family moved to Ruston in the early 1900s so the children could attend Louisiana Tech, then called Louisiana Industrial Institute.

Recently I discovered another Tech grad, prolific Louisiana author Sam Mims, wrote a book about Oakes in 1940 called "Oil is Where You Find It." Mims and Oakes were students together during Tech’s early days. Before Tech ever allocated any funds for athletics, Oakes and Mims teamed up to raise funds for equipment. They put on a football game charging 5 cents admission to watch the “Oakites” play the "Miminites.”

Oakes went on to play baseball while Mims joined the Marines during WWI, then became a lawyer and wrote books. To learn of a book that gives Oakes’s life story was a thrill but now I have much more material to use to write about this man. Maybe it will help obtain the recognition he deserves in the Tech Hall of Fame as a student leader, exceptional student athlete, professional player and businessman.

Oakes was nicknamed "Rebel" by northern ball players who kidded him about his accent and Southern roots. The sports reporters quickly took up the moniker.

In 2020, a photo of Oakes was placed on the cover of "Historic Claiborne 2020," a book on the history of Claiborne Parish by the local history club.
    I know where folks can get a copy of that book if they want one - only $20
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Very interesting info. Thanks for posting it. And yes, "Rebel" Oakes sounds very qualified for the Louisiana Tech Athletic Hall of Fame.

One sidebar question: Is former LA Tech Athletic Director Jim Oakes --a native of Homer in Claiborne Parish-- related to Ennis T. "Rebel" Oakes?

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Very interesting info. Thanks for posting it. And yes, "Rebel" Oakes sounds very qualified for the Louisiana Tech Athletic Hall of Fame.

One sidebar question: Is former LA Tech Athletic Director Jim Oakes --a native of Homer in Claiborne Parish-- related to Ennis T. "Rebel" Oakes?
    Jim is distant relative. Maybe like great great nephew.

Varsity Bulldog techfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nice techfreak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

HD on post #15 of this thread A.G. pretty much confirms Jim's relation to Rebel.
    BTW, I did not realize that this thread is nearly 10 years old. Now that the book and recent article has been discovered, I hope that there is enough to get him into the Tech HOF.

+ Reply to Thread