+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Americans should care about the royal wedding...

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Why Americans should care about the royal wedding...

Link

Interesting. I've never thought about it that way.

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

Re: Why Americans should care about the royal wedding...

I agree entirely.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

That about sums it up. I couldn't understand all the hype.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... I can't figure it out either.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Yep, how dare Anericans enjoy such pageantry and a chance to forget all the problems that ill the world for a brief moment to just enjoy life.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I don't understand why GB supports those welfare recipient royals, the way they do. Cut 'em off the public dole.

And all that silliness, OMG! What is really funny is how the libtard media fall all over themselves. They will impune a CEO of a private company, who has worked his/her way up with earning an MBA, climbing the corp ladder, etc...but see no issue with folks being set for life on the backs of taxpayers, just because of their family ties. Remind me again about the argument made by the libtards re: the inheritance tax.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Yep, how dare Anericans enjoy such pageantry and a chance to forget all the problems that ill the world for a brief moment to just enjoy life.
    Sure, but couldn't that also be done through any wedding? Or by taking a walk at the park? Or any other number of free activities? I think the topic is discussed because people don't understand why this particular event so interesting.

Do people care because they are told they should? Maybe people like to think of the Disney fantasy coming to life. Personally, I would feel better about the story if this was something attained rather than something people were born into.

Say what you want about President GWB getting elected because of his dad, he still had to be elected.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't watch it and didn't want to watch it. The coverage was driving me crazy. I did watch one summary of it and I did that for historical significance. It is such a throwback to another time in so many ways. That held some interest for me. Other than that, I just didn't get it. The summary show was good enough for me. England really does nothing for me and I love the link above.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

We told them what we thought about that nonsense 230 years ago.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

That was a very long read, but it was spot on.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    Sure, but couldn't that also be done through any wedding? Or by taking a walk at the park? Or any other number of free activities? I think the topic is discussed because people don't understand why this particular event so interesting.

Do people care because they are told they should? Maybe people like to think of the Disney fantasy coming to life. Personally, I would feel better about the story if this was something attained rather than something people were born into.

Say what you want about President GWB getting elected because of his dad, he still had to be elected.
    No it can't. A regular wedding, walk in the park, etc can not compare to something like this. Everyone loves pageantry, and no one does it bigger or better than England. No one. Most Americans are enamored by England already, and big events there are always attention grabbers, and not because we are "told" they are important. I think this particular event is important to many because everyone, no matter how much they deny it, wish that was them. They want the money, the titles, the properties, the clothes, everything that involves being of royalty, especially the power (though they have almost none). We may be a modern society, but we want to live in ancient social circles.

Part of it really was the "fairy tale" of a "commoner" becoming a royal (she's not a princess). So it technically is something she attained. However, it irked me a little though, that it wasn't really made known just how well off she had been her whole life. Her parents and family have humble beginnings, but are millionaires. Probably one of the real reasons so many royals were okay with this. Not all were, but what are they going to do?

Like chanpion110 said, it had historical significance. That truly is about it. Certainly only reason for my interest besides knowing a few people that were part of the ceremony and wanting to see them.

How does bush come into this?

dawg80, the royals aren't on "welfare".

Champ Salvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant future Salvatore Assante's Avatar

dawg80, the royals aren't on "welfare".
    What would you call it then? They sure don't work for a living.

Actually, yes they do. Only Queen Elizabeth II, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles, and Camilla don't work, they're professional diplomats/ambassadors really. The rest of the family hold jobs of some sort in various capacities. I'll just quote RealityCheck from another thread about where they're money comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Clearly no homework was done before making that set of statements.

38.2 million pounds was spent from British public funds on its official head of state for 2009-2010.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ju...-three-million

British tourism officials claim that the royals generate up to 500 million pounds in tourism dollars each year. Even if this claim is ten times too high, it still exceeds the official cost total.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...s-2039227.html

And the royal wedding is claimed to have the potential to provide an additional 2 billion pound boost to British tourism.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ap...-tourism-boost

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Actually, yes they do. Only Queen Elizabeth II, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles, and Camilla don't work, they're professional diplomats/ambassadors really. The rest of the family hold jobs of some sort in various capacities. I'll just quote RealityCheck from another thread about where they're money comes from.
    I thought about that, but had never seen an economic analysis of it. Much like Disney World "attracts" people from around the world to central Florida, so too, I suppose, the royals are a tourist curiosity, and as such, serve a purpose in generating tourism which equals hard currency.

But, personally, I'd rather visit the Grand Canyon. (which I have, twice....still a big hole in the ground.)

Okay....I'll concede that point. But....what about the libtard media falling all over themselves? Still doesn't mesh with the "soak the rich" mentality of the libs, does it?

Can't really explain that. Everything I think up comes to the same roadblock.

+ Reply to Thread