+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Regents Cut 100 Degrees

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Regents Cut 100 Degrees

What degrees were eliminated at Tech?

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Regents Cut 100 Degrees

http://regents.louisiana.gov/assets/..._Completer.pdf (go to pages 14-16 for Tech)

The only unexpected loss for Tech are the BS-Geography, AS-Health Information Technology, and EDD-Curriculum & Instruction degree programs. The other consolidation & termination moves are initially requested by Tech officials (many of the educational programs that were initally targeted by the Board of Regents).

The BS-Nanosystems Engineering, BS-Geographic Information Science, BS-Math, Physics, Chemistry programs were saved.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

ULM will lose its BS-Chemistry, MA-Substance Abuse Counseling, MS-Pharmaceutical Sciences programs. ULM's BS-Mathematics program will be combined another degree program.

Grambling will terminate the BA-French, Spanish programs as well as the EDD-Educational Leadership & Curriculum & Instruction programs.

Southern-Shreveport will terminate the AS-Chemistry, & AS-Mathematics programs.

Southern-New Orleans will terminate the BA-Sociology degree program.

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    http://regents.louisiana.gov/assets/..._Completer.pdf (go to pages 14-16 for Tech)

The only unexpected loss for Tech are the BS-Geography, AS-Health Information Technology, and EDD-Curriculum & Instruction degree programs. The other consolidation & termination moves are initially requested by Tech officials (many of the educational programs that were initally targeted by the Board of Regents).

The BS-Nanosystems Engineering, BS-Geographic Information Science, BS-Math, Physics, Chemistry programs were saved.
    The primary reason for the AS-Health Information Technology program being cut had to be due to it only be a 2-year program. No dollars will be saved by cutting the program and there will be a small loss of revenue from a grant and possibly from tution. They currently have 20+ students in the program unfortunately they had a slump in graduates during the review years. The fact that Southern in Shreveport also has a AS program was a consideration.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

ULM will lose its BS-Chemistry, MA-Substance Abuse Counseling, MS-Pharmaceutical Sciences programs. ULM's BS-Mathematics program will be combined another degree program.

Grambling will terminate the BA-French, Spanish programs as well as the EDD-Educational Leadership & Curriculum & Instruction programs.

Southern-Shreveport will terminate the AS-Chemistry, & AS-Mathematics programs.

Southern-New Orleans will terminate the BA-Sociology degree program.
    Curious, was that a big blow to them? Isn't that their big program, like Engineering is to us? Or is that degree not intregal in becoming or advancing as Pharmacist?

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Curious, was that a big blow to them? Isn't that their big program, like Engineering is to us? Or is that degree not intregal in becoming or advancing as Pharmacist?

I was wondering the same thing. Glad to see the GIS degree not getting cut at Tech. GIS is exploding in the oil and gas industry. Wish Tech had the old Geology and Petroleum Engineering back..

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    No, their PharmD is not affected. I'm not exactly sure what that degree was for, or how its loss will affect them.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPieBlue View Post
    The primary reason for the AS-Health Information Technology program being cut had to be due to it only be a 2-year program. No dollars will be saved by cutting the program and there will be a small loss of revenue from a grant and possibly from tution. They currently have 20+ students in the program unfortunately they had a slump in graduates during the review years. The fact that Southern in Shreveport also has a AS program was a consideration.
    I am sure Southern Shreveport's program is top notch, so this is understandable...

Champ kw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDog View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Glad to see the GIS degree not getting cut at Tech. GIS is exploding in the oil and gas industry. Wish Tech had the old Geology and Petroleum Engineering back..
    This is great! It would have sucked to have a degree that Tech didn't even offer anymore, and with the current GIS teachers the program is finally moving in the right direction.

I work in the oil and gas industry also, but GIS has many applications and North LA is finally becoming aware of the potential of GIS (Thanks mostly to the work of Lincoln Parish GIS and our tax assessor)

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    No, their PharmD is not affected. I'm not exactly sure what that degree was for, or how its loss will affect them.
    The MS degrees are research oriented degrees, while the PharmD degree is a professional degree. Medical schools have the same type of programs, you can get advanced degrees in medical sciences such as anatomy, pathology, etc.

Varsity Bulldog techboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her game

The only unexpected loss for Tech are the BS-Geography, AS-Health Information Technology, and EDD-Curriculum & Instruction degree programs.
    This sucks, I have a degree that Tech doesn't offer anymore...

Champ kw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by techboy09 View Post
    But you have a GIS minor right?

Varsity Bulldog techboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by kw2292 View Post
    But you have a GIS minor right?
    Never got the minor, was two classes short I believe.

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by techboy09 View Post
    Probably not the only person on this board that has suffered this in the past. Just trying to think of all the degrees that have a a strong need now a days and the geniuses in Baton Rouge have cut over the years.

Lets see:

Computer Engineering
    Petroleum Engineering
    Geology
    Geography
    Agricultural Engineering

I mean I'm sorry but someone correct me if I'm wrong but we are all graduates of Louisiana TECH University, thus we are a school that is geared toward putting out technical graduates. My point being why aren't we saving money by eliminating the liberal arts majors. Don't get me wrong I respect the few of you that have these degrees, but it seems to me like we are shooting ourselves in the foot by trying to be so comprehensive in the degrees we offer.

Sneeky thing is the regents recommend terminating the geology program at Tech and keeping the other one open in the region....guess who has the other program...ULM. So why may you ask is ULM getting to keep their program......because about 80 percent of their Geology department majors are Atmospheric Science path. Now speaking from personal experience, having an engineering degree from Tech and an atmopheric Science degree from ULM, I can tell you the programs would be better served by putting them both at Louisiana Tech because of the research potential between the two.

+ Reply to Thread