+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sometimes Drudge is a histrionic prick

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Sometimes Drudge is a histrionic prick

I know Matt Drudge has an agenda, but generally I find his site to be a decent portal for tracking some of the hot news topics of the day.

I was scanning his headlines today and saw one summarized "Suicide rates rise." As a psychologist I was intrigued, because I know the military has been waiting on updated epidemiologic studies against which to compare suicide rates in the military.

The article, however, was referencing a study that commented on the suicide rate in 1932 being significantly higher than in 2000 (the point being that the rate was higher during a time of economic hardship).

What a douche.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Sometimes Drudge is a histrionic prick

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I know Matt Drudge has an agenda, but generally I find his site to be a decent portal for tracking some of the hot news topics of the day.

I was scanning his headlines today and saw one summarized "Suicide rates rise." As a psychologist I was intrigued, because I know the military has been waiting on updated epidemiologic studies against which to compare suicide rates in the military.

The article, however, was referencing a study that commented on the suicide rate in 1932 being significantly higher than in 2000 (the point being that the rate was higher during a time of economic hardship).

What a douche.
    Keep in mind these are not his articles but other folks. Drudge is probably 99% on top of the news he posts and does try to be 'Fair and Balanced".
    Here's the article that he posted. It's by Bloomberg and was posted today by them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...udy-finds.html

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Keep in mind these are not his articles but other folks. Drudge is probably 99% on top of the news he posts and does try to be 'Fair and Balanced".
    Here's the article that he posted. It's by Bloomberg and was posted today by them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...udy-finds.html
    And Bloomberg's headline was accurate. Drudge's "teaser" title was irresponsible. He posted the phrase "suicide rates rise" in a grouping of articles about the economic downturn. If he had done his "flashback" thing with it, at least that would not imply that this is new news. He was clearly implying that current suicide rates are rising, when the article says no such thing.

Like I said, I generally like his site, and it is the first place I check for headlines, as the major world stories are usually addressed. But when he does crap like this it pisses me off in a big way.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    And Bloomberg's headline was accurate. Drudge's "teaser" title was irresponsible. He posted the phrase "suicide rates rise" in a grouping of articles about the economic downturn. If he had done his "flashback" thing with it, at least that would not imply that this is new news. He was clearly implying that current suicide rates are rising, when the article says no such thing.

Like I said, I generally like his site, and it is the first place I check for headlines, as the major world stories are usually addressed. But when he does crap like this it pisses me off in a big way.
    Suit yourself but that doesn't happen often. A tad picky I would say considering the crap biased reporting and American leftist media has turned into. It's really hard to be mad at him when he's one of the very few that's not afraid to put the real news out there (both sides) for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Suit yourself but that doesn't happen often. A tad picky I would say considering the crap biased reporting and American leftist media has turned into. It's really hard to be mad at him when he's one of the very few that's not afraid to put the real news out there (both sides) for all to see.
    I don't think it's picky to ask someone not to lie on their news website.

For example, if I started a thread with the title, "Louisiana Tech President Found Dead" with a first post describing my trip to a cemetery where I came across George Bond's grave, I would catch all kinds of grief, and rightfully so.

Drudge's headline teasers are almost always a bit histrionic, but that is fine, it's his niche, like being smarmy is Jon Stewart's. But to be flagrantly misleading erodes his credibility.

Obviously I like his site, or I wouldn't be upset about being misled (and insulted) in this manner. Heck, I sometimes click on the damn ads just to help out his bottom line.

FYI for you guys. The Drudge Report is quickly becoming "the news source" of choice on the net. Drudge links to

STUDY: DRUDGE Drives More News Traffic than TWITTER or FACEBOOK...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...-facebook.html

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I too view Drudge multiple times each day. He has a unique way of presenting headlines, and his pictures are a hoot. However, the criticism appears to be valid. The headline was misleading. This isn't the first time either. I can't give specific examples, but I have on more than one occasion read a headline that was totally misleading. I will continue to view the site, but if he misleads too often, it might begin to hurt him.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

+ Reply to Thread