+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting building in Vernon

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting building in Vernon

Does anyone know what this building is?

It's in Vernon, LA. Off of McConnell Rd, off of LA146. I used to drive by it when I worked on a few rigs out that way. It's a two story concrete shell. I believe it has writing above the windows, but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've seen it. The grounds are still maintained, and they've built a dock over the pond. The whole thing is fenced in. Below is a link to google maps, showing the location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=vernon...11362&t=h&z=17

I'll try to get pics of it if I get down that way. If you look a little northwest of it, that rig was Rowan 35, a big PITA for me for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Interesting building in Vernon

Not sure, old building that burned down?

Also, I zoomed out a little...I assume those square plots are gas fields?

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

It looks like a building in progress, but very slow. Those are well sites, lots of them.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Could be a common point for the pipelines so they may be building a compressor station.

It's nothing like that, I'll have to snap a picture. The best way to describe it is a lodge, or temple of some sort.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    It's nothing like that, I'll have to snap a picture. The best way to describe it is a lodge, or temple of some sort.
    It's an ancient site where, to this day, chigger fans in vomit-stained yellow robes ritually sacrifice bulldog puppies to appease their cruel god, Corndogulous.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

you're all wrong, its Fort Vernon used during the Civil War. Vernon was the site for a major victory for the south under General Cain Watson's command. Well, its either that or it used to be the site if the Titty Twister from "Dusk Till Dawn".

Here's a few pictures I took today. There's a sign leading to it now that says "Robert & Aggie McConnell Memorial Park"

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Here's a few pictures I took today. There's a sign leading to it now that says "Robert & Aggie McConnell Memorial Park"
    weird...

Yes, I know, not so strange, but interesting. I'm guessing that they're planning to eventually cover it. I like weird history, and would love to know who they were, or maybe this is just a family with a lot of free time that likes to build stuff.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know, not so strange, but interesting. I'm guessing that they're planning to eventually cover it. I like weird history, and would love to know who they were, or maybe this is just a family with a lot of free time that likes to build stuff.
    I viewed the location using historical imagery dating back to 1998 with Google Earth. The structure has been there as is since at least 1998 with the adjacent pavilion and no covering over the memorial park shell.

I found some information on Robert & Aggie McConnell from the 1900 Census records from Jackson Parish, LA. Turns out that Robert & Aggie McConnell and their 8 living children were a black family who lived and worked on their farm in Ward 4 during the Census.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...04120181_00690
    Last edited by TechAlum05; 05-18-2011 at 09:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread