+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Re: NBA Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    No you said: "Mike Bibby, and Mario Chalmers are also capable of putting up huge numbers."

But to your point Bibby is shooting 22% over 12 post-season games this year and 25% overall FG shooting. Like you said regular season and playoffs are different. He also only averaging 1 assist per game during the postseason. I realize the offense runs through Wade and Lebron but YOU could average more than 1 assist per game on a team with Lebron, Wade and Bosh. He's been ineffective during the postseason.
    Context clues. If everything before and after that were referencing shooting 3s then maybe that is as well.

I don't see what averages matter in this case. Keep in mind games where he plays 4 minutes count just as much as games that he plays 35 minutes. He is in a 3 way split for PT with Mario Chalmers and the option of having Wade or LeBron run point.

But still Bibby, Mike Miller, James Jones, and even Mario Chalmers are capable of knocking down several 3s a game. However unlike Dallas, Miami doesn't live or die by the 3. They focus on physical D and attacking the basket. When they are not taking many 3s then those guys get loss opportunity to prove what makes them so special.

BTW I'm still waiting for you to explain what holes the Bulls and Heat have on their roster.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    It's also funny that you said the physical play in the East would be too much for anyone in the West except the Lakers and Spurs after the Mavs obliterated a Lakers team that was very physical with them.

I'm not being non-sensical. Like I said you are envisioning the Mavericks from 2006 who were mentally weak, didn't play physical and played poor defense. There are only 2 players remaining from that team on the entire roster. And this roster is focused on defense, being more physical, mentally tough and has a much, much higher basketball IQ. I also think Carlisle could coach circles around Spoelstra. The only reason I label them the favorites is they have 2 of the best 3 players in the game and another good player. If Caron Butler wasn't hurt I might say the Mavs would be favorites. That injury likely killed the Mavs chances at winning the Finals.
    When you're star player is Dirk, you can't be labeled as a defensive minded team. They've done a good job of building a roster around them but let's be honest here, the physical play of the Laker series is nothing. Those were cheap shots. The Heat Bulls series is showing the kind of grind that would force guys like Dirk into early retirement.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    Context clues. If everything before and after that were referencing shooting 3s then maybe that is as well. -didn't see that "context clue" as I thought we were disussing perimeter shooting which includes a lot more than than 3 point shooting. You turned permiter shooting into 3 point shooting.

I don't see what averages matter in this case. Keep in mind games where he plays 4 minutes count just as much as games that he plays 35 minutes. He is in a 3 way split for PT with Mario Chalmers and the option of having Wade or LeBron run point. Whatever dude. They are weak at the PG. If Bibby was still such a strong player, the Heat wouldn't have gotten him for nothing. He wouldn't have been bought out and he wouldn't be playing for his 3rd team this year.

But still Bibby, Mike Miller, James Jones, and even Mario Chalmers are capable of knocking down several 3s a game. However unlike Dallas, Miami doesn't live or die by the 3. They focus on physical D and attacking the basket. When they are not taking many 3s then those guys get loss opportunity to prove what makes them so special. Mario Chalmers, Mike Bibby and Mike Miller aren't "Special" WOW what a low bar you have for that word.

BTW I'm still waiting for you to explain what holes the Bulls and Heat have on their roster. Your still waiting? Uh you never asked?

First off I think the Bulls and Heat are great teams and both very capable of winning the title. I already told you I think the Heat should be favorites. That's not our argument. But you are talking about them dominating the finals. So take what I am saying in its context.

The Bulls are obviously a very strong defensive team but really need another scoring option. They are very weak at the two and if Rose has an off night they lose. When Dirk/Lebron/Wade has an off night the Mavs and Heat still win. Bench is not impressive either from an offensive standpoint.

As for Miami short of the Big 3 the entire team is a hole. The Center position basically doesn't exist. PG is weak as well and they totally lack a 6th man type of player off the bench. They also still go through stretches where the chemistry just isn't there. Even the most avid Heat fan realizes they have huge holes. Experts on ESPN/TNT/NBA channel etc.. talk about it all the time. If you don't believe this you are a bigger fan of LeBron and the Heat than I ever will be of the Mavericks. The thing about the Heat is that Lebron and Wade and to a lesser extent Bosh are soo good they make up for that.

Oh and while we are at it, I think their HC is a hole as well.
    Last edited by Bigdog13; 05-22-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

When you're star player is Dirk, you can't be labeled as a defensive minded team. They've done a good job of building a roster around them but let's be honest here, the physical play of the Laker series is nothing. Those were cheap shots. The Heat Bulls series is showing the kind of grind that would force guys like Dirk into early retirement.
    Not true. Number one Dirk is not weak defensively. He is an average defender. His toughness is way underrated. And you can definitely be a defensive minded team if the other players are defensive oriented. 3 of their starters play very good defense. And when not playing the CP3/Rose quick type of PG Kidd plays good defense as well. He did a very good job on Kobe in the Lakers series.

And your comments on the Lakers series make me think you just watched highlights on ESPN. The Lakers tried to grind it out with the Mavs throughout. And the Mavs handled it just fine as the Lakers couldn't get to 100 once in that series. (neither could Portland) When you D up on the defending champs like that you deserve a lot more respect than you are giving them. It wasn't just the cheap shots you saw on ESPN.

And they don't play the type of grind anymore that force guys into retirement. I grew up going to several games each month at the old Chicago Stadium watching Eastern Conferences teams battle. (my uncles had season tickets and used to take me) I saw Artis Gilmore bleed from fouls that players would be tossed for now. I saw Jordan and Pippen take regular fouls that would be flagrant 2's now. Trust me NOTHING going on in that series is gonna scare anyone. They are playing good, hard, tough defense. But your not witnessing something special. The NBA doesn't allow the type of series you are speaking of to even happen anymore.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

You must not watch the Heat that much. Wade isn't a perimeter guy. Miller has been hot and cold this year but James Jones, Mike Bibby, and Mario Chalmers are also capable of putting up huge numbers. And LeBron is a much better perimeter guy that Wade.

Also I don't think the Bulls have much on the perimeter either. They have Korver who is streaky like Miller. Deng can have a good night as can Rose but none of those guys are playing to shoot 3s. Both eastern teams can hit 3s but they don't rely on it to fuel their offense. Guys like Dirk and Durant will have fits trying to consistently score on either of these defenses.

The finals will be won on defense. Mavs shoot 53% against a bad OKC D. Heat shoot 47% against the best D in the NBA. The physical play in the east is just too much for any team in the west not named the Spurs or Lakers.

Capable and likely to do so are two different things. Nearly any 2 or 3 in the NBA is capable of putting up big numbers and shooting well in the NBA. However, the Mavs have 3 guys who are absolute knock down shooters. If your defense lapses, they will make you pay (like I said, sometimes 4 because Kidd is 50/50). Chalmers and Bibby arent even near 50/50. Chalmers has shown up to play in about 2 or 3 of the playoff games, and Mike Bibby has yet to make any impact. Seriously, I would take Kidd over either of those two, much less Peja, Dirk, or Terry. To think that a team as paper thin as the Heat will crush anyone with little doubt is hard for me to believe. I knew the Heat would have success because superstars show up in the playoffs, but their lack of depth will keep them from crushing anyone left in the playoffs.

As far as physical play, I think the West teams have enough beef down low to compete physically. I actually think that is the Heat's biggest weakness and it was shown in game 1. Luckily, Spoelstra probably crawled up and down Wade and Lebron about supporting the rebounding effort and Udonis Haslem arose from the grave because we all know Bosh just isnt tough enough down low on his own. I do think Wade and Lebron will give both Mavs or OKC fits with their physical play, but you can say that about them against any team.

One trump card the Mavs and OKC do have is a tall scorer that is hard to defend. I dont see anyone on Bulls/Heat who are big/athletic/smart enough to cover Dirk/Durant except for Lebron, but they will not wear him out by making him cover him. Collison has done very well against Dirk with his physicality and smarts and Marion did okay against Durant in game 2. I just dont know who will do that for the Heat/Bulls.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Context clues. If everything before and after that were referencing shooting 3s then maybe that is as well.

I don't see what averages matter in this case. Keep in mind games where he plays 4 minutes count just as much as games that he plays 35 minutes. He is in a 3 way split for PT with Mario Chalmers and the option of having Wade or LeBron run point.

But still Bibby, Mike Miller, James Jones, and even Mario Chalmers are capable of knocking down several 3s a game. However unlike Dallas, Miami doesn't live or die by the 3. They focus on physical D and attacking the basket. When they are not taking many 3s then those guys get loss opportunity to prove what makes them so special.

BTW I'm still waiting for you to explain what holes the Bulls and Heat have on their roster.

Once again, capable and likely are two different things. Jones has been the only guy that has had any consistency in these playoffs and he hasnt been a huge game changer. Mike Miller and Bibby have been nearly non-existent. Chalmers has had a few games where he did well and basically non-existent outside of that. He has been like Marion for the Mavs.

Your assertion that they dont live and die by the three is probably because those guys cant shoot them that well. Mike Miller is a good three point shooter as a whole, but has struggled this year. Bibby was good a decade ago. Chalmers is inconsistent. Jones is the only guy that has shown any consistency with decent three point shooting. They dont live and die by the three because they know they would die.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. You have fallen off your rocker.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

First, I am not a Mavs homer. But, anyone who paid attention to the Mavs-Heat finals a few years back knows that the referees gave Wade some superstar free throws that cost the Mavs that series. I've never seen so many puss foul calls in my life, all of which seemed to have Wade at the charity stripe. If you think the Mavs couldn't play with, or beat, the Bulls/Heat then you haven't followed the NBA very closely this season/playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Capable and likely to do so are two different things. Nearly any 2 or 3 in the NBA is capable of putting up big numbers and shooting well in the NBA. However, the Mavs have 3 guys who are absolute knock down shooters. If your defense lapses, they will make you pay (like I said, sometimes 4 because Kidd is 50/50). Chalmers and Bibby arent even near 50/50. Chalmers has shown up to play in about 2 or 3 of the playoff games, and Mike Bibby has yet to make any impact. Seriously, I would take Kidd over either of those two, much less Peja, Dirk, or Terry. To think that a team as paper thin as the Heat will crush anyone with little doubt is hard for me to believe. I knew the Heat would have success because superstars show up in the playoffs, but their lack of depth will keep them from crushing anyone left in the playoffs.

As far as physical play, I think the West teams have enough beef down low to compete physically. I actually think that is the Heat's biggest weakness and it was shown in game 1. Luckily, Spoelstra probably crawled up and down Wade and Lebron about supporting the rebounding effort and Udonis Haslem arose from the grave because we all know Bosh just isnt tough enough down low on his own. I do think Wade and Lebron will give both Mavs or OKC fits with their physical play, but you can say that about them against any team.

One trump card the Mavs and OKC do have is a tall scorer that is hard to defend. I dont see anyone on Bulls/Heat who are big/athletic/smart enough to cover Dirk/Durant except for Lebron, but they will not wear him out by making him cover him. Collison has done very well against Dirk with his physicality and smarts and Marion did okay against Durant in game 2. I just dont know who will do that for the Heat/Bulls.
    Where to begin...

1- You say Heat shooters are below the level of Mav shooters. Well that depends on a matter of perspective. Let's compare regular season 3 point percentage.
    Bibby- 44% (4.4 attempts per game)
    James Jones 42.9% (3.9 attempts per game)
    Mike Miller 36.4% (2.9 attempts per game)
    Mario Chalmers 35.9% (3.3 attempts per game)
    Eddie House 38.9 % (3.1 attempts per game)

Arguing Bibby, James Jones, and Mike Miller as not 3 of the premier shooters in the game is assinine. Mario Chalmers and Eddie House are very capable of holding their own.

Peja 41.9% (4.1 attempts per game)
    Jason Kidd 34% (4.9 attempts per game)
    Jason Terry 36.2% (4.3 attempts per game)
    Stevenson 37.8% (3.5 attempts per game)
    JJ Barea 34.9% (2.3 attempts per game)

Show me how Dallas is a better shooting team other than they are shooting more than Miami in the playoffs.

2- Lack of depth. This is probably the biggest misnomer I've heard about the Heat this year. They've got a solid rotation of guys at all 5 positions. Don't construe the fact that the "Big 3" are taking over the scoring as a sign that no one else can score. Remember the Heat scrubs still waxxed the Toronto starters in the last game of the year. And also keep in mind that the Heat have been without their 4th best player most of the year.

3- Toughness. Don't kid yourself. There is a vast difference between the style of play in the ECF and WCF. And I don't mean simply in the low post. I mean everyone is expending a lot of energy moving the ball anywhere. This might actually be the West's best chance if the ECF goes 7 games as the winner will likely need some rest. No western series has been physical by eastern standards. Many people are making a false assumption that cheap shots by the Lakers shows how play is physical in West. Do you not see how wide open the offenses have been? Heat just held the Bulls to 10 points in the 4th quarter at Chicago. Talk to me when OKC or Dallas shows they can do that.

3b- Center position. Maybe you've been asleep. I dunno. Joel Anthony and Haslem are currently playing great. Joel reminds me very much of Perkins and Haslem is his own animal. He's a game changer when he's healthy.

3c- Bosh. Why do people think that a PF that can hit a mid range shot is soft? There is a huge difference in level of defense that Bosh and Dirk play. Don't forget what Bosh did to KG in a few games last series and how he has kept Boozer quiet this series.

4- Dirk/Durant. You're kidding right? LeBron would cover Durant and Bosh would cover Dirk. The problem for most teams trying to guard Dirk is this. They are having to use smaller guys. Bosh is a 6'11 guy that can move well enough outside the paint to guard Dirk. The Heat actually stack up really well in guys with enough size and mobility. I think this is a realtive strength for them over either team. Not sure for the Bulls though if they are to win. I don't see any reason why Taj Gibson or Boozer wouldn't give Dirk fits either.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris29 View Post
    LOL. You have fallen off your rocker.
    Obviously that statement is a bit of an exaggeration as play this physical is a mostly playoff thing in the East. But Dirk would stand no chance of making an NBA finals in East with his weak self.

Haslem is "currently playing great?" That is his lone game in the playoffs. I'll wait to see if he can repeat that performance or even come close to matching his stats in game 2.

Bottom line is its wide open. I may not know when the world is coming to an end, but I do know that you aren't one of the final four teams if you aren't playing defense. We could point out strengths and weaknesses all day, but in the playoffs, champions overcome weaknesses and mismatches. That's why I think the Hornets will win it all.

Juice, you cant argue playoffs and regular season are different then compare regular season stats. The Dallas guys are shooting and making shots in the PLAYOFFS, the Heat guys arent even making an impact on the game. You cant change the scope to fit your argument. Sure, maybe the Heat guys were shooting well against the dregs of the league in the regular season, but now it is nut cutting time. The Dallas guys are shooting like they did in the regular season and the Heat guys are barely making it into the box score.

Once again, I dont see Lebron covering Durant or Dirk because of foul trouble. Okay, so Bosh comes out and covers Dirk, who is going to rebound for the Heat? Who is going to match Chandler? OKC had trouble last nigth with Collison on Dirk because OKC couldnt get a body on Chandler and he had 15 or so rebounds, many of them on the offensive side. Gibson isnt basketball savvy enought o cover Dirk/Durant, he would foul out in 15 minutes. You didnt just say Boozer, did you? That guy is terrible on D.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

I'm still waiting for you to explain what holes the Bulls and Heat have on their roster.
    Seriously? The Miami Heat are relying on guys that you've mentioned: Mike Bibby, James Jones and Mario Chalmers. These guys are deep bench guys on average NBA teams, not contributors on an NBA contender. The Heat are essentially a three-man team. They get very little contribution from the point (unless Wade or LeBron are running it) or from the center positions.

As far as the Bulls' deficiencies, Keith Bogans is not an NBA starter. The Bulls are very weak at the two. Boozer has been so inconsistent, and you're not getting any offense from Noah or Gibson, outside of cleaning up on the offensive glass.

Both of those teams do have MAJOR holes. They just have some of the best players in the world (Wade and James for the Heat, Rose for the Bulls) to help cover up some of those deficiencies. I actually think the Mavs are the most well-rounded team remaining in the playoffs, but that doesn't guarantee they'll win the title.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Seriously? The Miami Heat are relying on guys that you've mentioned: Mike Bibby, James Jones and Mario Chalmers. These guys are deep bench guys on average NBA teams, not contributors on an NBA contender. The Heat are essentially a three-man team. They get very little contribution from the point (unless Wade or LeBron are running it) or from the center positions.

As far as the Bulls' deficiencies, Keith Bogans is not an NBA starter. The Bulls are very weak at the two. Boozer has been so inconsistent, and you're not getting any offense from Noah or Gibson, outside of cleaning up on the offensive glass.

Both of those teams do have MAJOR holes. They just have some of the best players in the world (Wade and James for the Heat, Rose for the Bulls) to help cover up some of those deficiencies. I actually think the Mavs are the most well-rounded team remaining in the playoffs, but that doesn't guarantee they'll win the title.

Agreed. I think Dallas has the most well rounded team. One thing I will never understand about Tyson Chandler, though. He is athletic, has a nice touch on his free throws, but he isnt taking a shot unless it is a dunk or right underneath the basket.

I think it is anybody's game, though. The Heat have two guys that can take any game over and a third at an all star level. The Bulls have Rose with a nice set of support at other positions sans the 2. OKC has Durant, and they are hard to beat when Westbrook plays to his potential. Harden has impressed me a lot in these playoffs, and I love the Marvin Gay beard.

OKC is kind of the forgotten team in this thread. With the offensive skills of Durant and Westbrook, and the way Harden has stepped up, they have as good a shot at the title as the other three teams.

On a personal note, I will be happy with any team other than the Heat. Lebron's arrogance has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I hope he retires at an old age without a ring. And my dislike for the self-proclaimed King James is due to his cockiness and "the decision" last summer, not his actual decision to sign with the Heat.

+ Reply to Thread