+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TECH has a candidate for Governor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: TECH has a candidate for Governor

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    This is a real question because I really don't know and really have no way of knowing. How is it affecting the local schools?
    Maybe this is what he is talking about.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/27606010/detail.html

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

Ouch!
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

This is happening in Texas as well and probably all around the country.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I've always wondered how much the minimum benefits were related to salary. I know many bus drivers, other employees, and even a few teachers who work primarily for the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    This is happening in Texas as well and probably all around the country.
    I understand why it is happening in certain districts in Louisiana, but Texas operates off property taxes right? What is the problem in places like Marshall? Bad investments?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I will tell you what you get here in Claiborne Parish IF you wish to spend the money to run for Police Jury....

$600 per month and $0.51 per mile from your residence to 507 West Main Street for committee meetings and scheduled Jury meetings -

If you are lucky enough to have your peers elect you President your get a WHOPPING $700 per month -

Benefits - the Jury will pick up 80% of employee only health insurance coverage and you are eligible to participate in PERS which is a required 9.5% and at $600 gross per month - if you are LUCKY enough to be elected 5 times and get in 20 years of service maybe you can draw $400 per month in retirement

There are NO other benefits - no cell phones, no per diems, no "rec" funds

I'm the highest paid employee in Claiborne Parish at the Police Jury level and I make a whopping $66K a year to pick up the phone 90% of the time to hear how you are NOT doing a good job and what a sorry piece of shit the parish is in general

Luckily the Jury reimburse me $31 a month to cover half the cost of my cell phone bill - I don't have a parish vehicle nor an expense account

In Claiborne Parish, the Police Jury has NEVER rolled forward a millage and has only sought renewals of existing millages and hasn't introduced a new tax since the late 80's which was a 1% sales tax in the unicorporated areas of the parish to provide once a week curbside trash pickup to the residents of the parish

I do it and the others I know, do it because they love the job and for the most part the people -

No one in Claiborne, Bienville, Jackson, Union, Webster or Lincoln is getting rich serving on the Police Jury or the School Board

The elected officials who make the money in the parish are the Sheriff, Clerk of Court, Tax Assessor and District Attorney -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Not talking about you, 77, but now it seems to me that most school board elections are popularity contests with the contestants seeking an extra paycheck and some pretty good benefits ??
    For the most part - especially in the rural parishes a big public misconception....

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    How many meetings per year does the average school board member attend in Claiborne Parish ??
    Probably on average of 2 sometimes 3 a month taking into consideration committee meetings and such...

BTW - 77 can correct me if I'm wrong - but I think they are compensated at $400 per month compared to a Police Jurors $600 per month

I know on the Police Jury side about 70% of my 10 jurors make every committee meeting and reguar scehduled/special called meeting each month in addition to numerous other functions their attendance is requested at

And remember in the rural parishes - the parish tries to offer good "benefits" to workers/teachers so they can be "somewhat" competitive with other neighboring parishes and some of the private providers since we can't match them dollar per dollar wage wise -

On the jury side - our truck driver/operator wages are about 70% to 75% below market but we sweeten the deal with better retirement options (if you stick out the long haul 15 yrs +), comparable/better health benefits, steady hours and holiday's time off...

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I understand why it is happening in certain districts in Louisiana, but Texas operates off property taxes right? What is the problem in places like Marshall? Bad investments?
    Property taxes is a very large part for sure. And of course property values have come down. But I'm not sure per Marshall per say.

You are also not taking in the fact the number of hours you spend weekly at church, at the grocery store, at the house or at the ball park explaining decisions, answering complaints, listening to gripes etc etc etc etc

And if you are a juror - you have on average of a little over 70 miles of roads in your district that you should be riding once or twice a month to look at for damaged culverts, pot holes, down signs etc - to verify that the superintendent in your area is doing their job - which you are not reimbursed for

And FYI the largest mileage reimbursement check each month for my jurors is alittle of $24 which will not even buy 6 gallons of gas

Just remember it cost only $60? to file the papers a run for school board or the police jury or any other public office if you feel you could do a better job and trim costs

You also have to file a public disclosure form each year listing your other sources of income that becomes a matter of public record - and depending on the size of the district your represent it can be quite indepth

Believe me when I say - that 90% of the time that the governing board's salary and related benefits are one of the LOWEST if not the LOWEST costs associated with that district -

I can't speak for all juries but my TOTAL budget - all phases of government - is less than $7 million annually, we have less than 50 total employees and over 750 miles of public roads we have to keep up and mow right of ways on - in addition to providing the sheriff's office, the court house, health unit, library, clerk of court, tax assessor, office of community service, DA's office, etc etc etc

You do the math - then get informed and get involved - KNOW where your tax dollars are going in your parish before making blind assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post

It is a source of a lot of restless nights and feeling bad for people whose lives are being affected.
    You describe a public servant. Politicians don't lose any sleep except over campaign funding.

+ Reply to Thread