+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Season, Dawgs!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Good Season, Dawgs!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Next season is year no. 10 for Sim. If Sim goes an entire decade without a conference title or NCAA tournament appearance, I think his time is up.
    Have you forgotten how much our AD doesn't care about baseball? We don't need that guy making a baseball hire.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Have you forgotten how much our AD doesn't care about baseball? We don't need that guy making a baseball hire.
    I think that we will be WAC Champions next season and Sim will get a 3-year extension.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    I'm leaning toward maddawg on this. I don't get this either. How much scholarship % are Threlkeld and Jefferson currently getting. Are they close to a full ride now? Threlkeld is from LA (LA HS graduate) so is he also getting TOPS? (Have no idea of his scholastic standing). Both Threlkeld and Jefferson, IMHO, had better years last year than this year (bats had something to do with Threlkeld and I don't remember Jefferson having as many wild pitches last year than this year even though he did win 2 more games this year, 6-4, than last year, 4-4). Don't get me wrong, both are exceptional athletes but it takes more than those two to win games.

Yes, , I'd love for some of those walk-ons to get some $ (even a little!) and actually I've heard that one has "earned" a 'ship for next year but keeping the team content and happy (a positive "family" experience) seems like the way to go. Spreading the wealth around surely couldn't hurt even if it's only a little wealth.
    You are asking those questions to the wrong people.

Threlkeld has made 130 consecutive starts. Do we even have a back-up third baseman? Sim moved Breazeale to the 'pen. Jefferson was our ace (even though he wasn't our Friday night starter) and a first team All-WAC selection. Of course it takes more than those two guys to win games; it takes the entire team. However, I think we can replace our coaches, our left fielder, and our first baseman with more than capable guys, but I don't think we can replace our third baseman or our weekend starting pitchers. I guess Stefan should be mentioned with those two.

Good news about our walk-ons earning scholarship money! I know Joey Ford was a walk-on who earned a 'ship.

I think the happier we keep Jefferson, the happier all of us will be.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I think the happier we keep Jefferson, the happier all of us will be.
    This isn't about keeping him happy. 1/2 or 3/4 of a 'ship isn't goin to be a deal breaker for him. Why give it to him? Like SIm, you keep giving reasons that don't make sense.

Sim's excuse for doing it made as much sense as putting Gebhart in the bottom of the lineup.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I'm glad someone else knows that and this guy's past. Has even encouraged coaches outside football and basketball to look and take better financial offers because Tech is broke and money not going to them. While I might know that in my mind, I would not have said it to a coach. This is type guy that would anounce a national search, but looking to cut budget even more to drop behind other programs and make a token hire. He really doesn't care, but would not say it publicly or to big donors. Take us years to recover some, but still behind several Southland, SunBelt schools pay and recruiting budgets. Forget WAC and CUSA, we need to get ahead financially to few programs in two conferences mentioned.

Just have to weather through it until football and basketball draw more fans like they are supposed to and more revenue. Then would take a different AD to ever do the right thing. BVD did cause the gutting of baseball that started early 90s so don't blame him, but he is not one to fix it either. So hang in for now.

Varsity Bulldog Monroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter View Post
    I'm glad someone else knows that and this guy's past. Has even encouraged coaches outside football and basketball to look and take better financial offers because Tech is broke and money not going to them. While I might know that in my mind, I would not have said it to a coach. This is type guy that would anounce a national search, but looking to cut budget even more to drop behind other programs and make a token hire. He really doesn't care, but would not say it publicly or to big donors. Take us years to recover some, but still behind several Southland, SunBelt schools pay and recruiting budgets. Forget WAC and CUSA, we need to get ahead financially to few programs in two conferences mentioned.

Just have to weather through it until football and basketball draw more fans like they are supposed to and more revenue. Then would take a different AD to ever do the right thing. BVD did cause the gutting of baseball that started early 90s so don't blame him, but he is not one to fix it either. So hang in for now.
    I think Sim doing a good job. Walk on or non-shcolorship very common in baseball. would like 2 see him recruit more of N LA player. If we give him one more year and don't do well, we have to go to new staff and new HC. At very least LA Tech should be 2nd best in state. We are way past Bertman era at LSU and should be taking advantage of baseball recruiting stuation in state of LA. As former player under Patterson era, we are starting to settle for mediocrity and this is not acceptable. Hope we can get this back turned in write direction.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe Dawg View Post
    I think Sim doing a good job. Walk on or non-shcolorship very common in baseball. would like 2 see him recruit more of N LA player. If we give him one more year and don't do well, we have to go to new staff and new HC. At very least LA Tech should be 2nd best in state. We are way past Bertman era at LSU and should be taking advantage of baseball recruiting stuation in state of LA. As former player under Patterson era, we are starting to settle for mediocrity and this is not acceptable. Hope we can get this back turned in write direction.
    Recruit more N LA guys? Really? Most games 7 of 9 starters are N LA guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    Recruit more N LA guys? Really? Most games 7 of 9 starters are N LA guys.
    Yessir, 21 guys within a 2-hour drive of Ruston.

North Louisiana
    Gebhardt, Monroe
    Threlkeld, Monroe
    Williams, Vick
    Ford, Bossier City
    Ewing, Shreveport
    Hedges, Shreveport
    Johnson, Ruston
    Gordey, Bossier City
    White, West Monroe
    Hughes, Monroe
    Carlisle, Shreveport
    Breazeale, Alexandria
    Burch, Monroe
    Meyers, Monroe
    Anderson, Shreveport
    Gillam, Bossier City
    Gilley, Benton
    Antony, Ruston

South Louisiana
    Stefan, Lafayette
    LeBreton, New Orleans
    Picciola, Destrehan
    Menou, Lake Charles
    Derouen, Lafayette

Northeast Texas
    Petersen, Hallsville (Shreveport market)
    Dudley, Texarkana (Shreveport market)
    Bayliss, Marshall (Shreveport market)
    Sadberry, Holliday
    Fletcher, Red Oak
    Kimbell, Mesquite

Southeast Texas
    Roliard, Spring
    Barrett, Spring
    W. Alvis, Jasper
    S. Alvis, Jasper
    Terrasas, Santa Fe
    Fairbanks, Richmond
    Ferguson, Austin

Glad to have them
    Jefferson, Ohio
    Qualls, Missouri
    Gilmore, Colorado

It doesn't matter where these guys are from because now they are all Bulldogs.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 06-06-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I think that we will be WAC Champions next season and Sim will get a 3-year extension.
    Hmmm...

Who will compose WAC baseball next year? What schools?

Sorry, I've lost track of the comings/goings and when it all goes into effect.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

North Louisiana
    Gebhardt, Monroe
    Threlkeld, Monroe
    Williams, Vick
    Ford, Bossier City
    Ewing, Shreveport
    Hedges, Shreveport
    Johnson, Ruston
    Gordey, Bossier City
    White, West Monroe
    Hughes, Monroe
    Carlisle, Shreveport
    Breazeale, Alexandria
    Burch, Monroe
    Meyers, Monroe
    Anderson, Shreveport
    Gillam, Bossier City
    Gilley, Benton
    Antony, Ruston

South Louisiana
    Stefan, Lafayette
    LeBreton, New Orleans
    Picciola, Destrehan
    Menou, Lake Charles
    Derouen, Lafayette

Northeast Texas
    Sadberry, Holliday
    Fletcher, Red Oak
    Kimbell, Mesquite

Southeast Texas
    Roliard, Spring
    Barrett, Spring
    W. Alvis, Jasper
    S. Alvis, Jasper
    Terrasas, Santa Fe
    Fairbanks, Richmond
    Ferguson, Austin

Glad to have them
    Jefferson, Ohio
    Qualls, Missouri
    Gilmore, Colorado

Well there is the problem right there. We need more Arkansans.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Hmmm...

Who will compose WAC baseball next year? What schools?

Sorry, I've lost track of the comings/goings and when it all goes into effect.
    Same teams again next year.

Fresno State, Hawai'i, Nevava, and San Jose State will all lose a lot of production. New Mexico State and Tech should each return the majority of their production. I didn't bother looking up Sac State. They suck, and I don't know why they are in our conference.

We have a lot of returning talent assuming our guys return for the senior seasons. Our entire infield and weekend rotation should remain intact, and that includes 3 all-WAC performers and 4 guys that could get drafted this week. Throw in Tech's single season saves leader, our first team all-WAC outfielder, our walk-on WAC Pitcher of Week, speed in the outfield, a pretty good pitcher who just got eligible, and the transfer from Arkansas. We will be pretty good next season assuming the injury bug doesn't hit. This team is hungry and will be working hard this summer to get better so they can win the WAC next season. Believe it Dawg80.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter View Post
    BVD did cause the gutting of baseball that started early 90s so don't blame him, but he is not one to fix it either. So hang in for now.
    That's the bottom line. And we still don't know if he's is or isn't the one to fix it. He's had better fish to fry and has not been here very long.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Same teams again next year.

Fresno State, Hawai'i, Nevava, and San Jose State will all lose a lot of production. New Mexico State and Tech should each return the majority of their production. I didn't bother looking up Sac State. They suck, and I don't know why they are in our conference.

We have a lot of returning talent assuming our guys return for the senior seasons. Our entire infield and weekend rotation should remain intact, and that includes 3 all-WAC performers and 4 guys that could get drafted this week. Throw in Tech's single season saves leader, our first team all-WAC outfielder, our walk-on WAC Pitcher of Week, speed in the outfield, a pretty good pitcher who just got eligible, and the transfer from Arkansas. We will be pretty good next season assuming the injury bug doesn't hit. This team is hungry and will be working hard this summer to get better so they can win the WAC next season. Believe it Dawg80.
    Oh Lord! I believe! On to Omaha, baby!

Seriously, that works for me. Win the WAC and go to the NCAA playoffs! Count me in!

Varsity Bulldog Monroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMonroe Dawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

North Louisiana
    Gebhardt, Monroe
    Threlkeld, Monroe
    Williams, Vick
    Ford, Bossier City
    Ewing, Shreveport
    Hedges, Shreveport
    Johnson, Ruston
    Gordey, Bossier City
    White, West Monroe
    Hughes, Monroe
    Carlisle, Shreveport
    Breazeale, Alexandria
    Burch, Monroe
    Meyers, Monroe
    Anderson, Shreveport
    Gillam, Bossier City
    Gilley, Benton
    Antony, Ruston

South Louisiana
    Stefan, Lafayette
    LeBreton, New Orleans
    Picciola, Destrehan
    Menou, Lake Charles
    Derouen, Lafayette

Northeast Texas
    Sadberry, Holliday
    Fletcher, Red Oak
    Kimbell, Mesquite

Southeast Texas
    Roliard, Spring
    Barrett, Spring
    W. Alvis, Jasper
    S. Alvis, Jasper
    Terrasas, Santa Fe
    Fairbanks, Richmond
    Ferguson, Austin

Glad to have them
    Jefferson, Ohio
    Qualls, Missouri
    Gilmore, Colorado

Once again, I am Sim fan and he has done a lot of good things for our program. I want to see him consistantly succeed and get us back where we were with the success we had in the 80's. He has done a good job with N LA, but I still feel there are several that we let get away. A lot of this has to do with winning and the perception these kids have of La Tech baseball. This will not happen overnight, but can be done.

+ Reply to Thread