+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blake Johnson, welcome to the Tech Family!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Thumbs Up Blake Johnson, welcome to the Tech Family!

Brady Aymond, The Lafayette Advertiser: Johnson signs with La. Tech

"Mainly, they put the best offer on the table," Johnson said. "When we went for my visit, the campus was really nice and my family enjoyed the coaches and the atmosphere. But it basically came down to their offer being the best. LSU didn't have any scholarships, but they wanted me to walk-on," Johnson said. "Ole Miss wanted me to go to a juco for a year then pick me up a year later."

"Louisiana Tech is the top engineering school in Louisiana," Johnson said. "That really helped in my decision. I also like that they have a quarter system up there and that really helps with the baseball schedule. Mechanical Engineering is tough, and I'll be able to schedule around the baseball season because of the quarter system."

"When we went visit, we watched the game against Fresno State and we actually sat with Jeb's parents," Johnson said. "Jeb was always there when I had questions, but he never really tried to push me into going to Tech. It was the same thing with Jacob DeRouen. I've talked to him a lot in the last couple of months, just asking questions and finding out more about the school. Both of them love Tech so I know I'm going to like it too."

Big Dog NavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to all

Re: Blake Johnson, welcome to the Tech Family!

"Louisiana Tech is the top engineering school in Louisiana," Johnson said.

--- Couldn't have put that better myself!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

KATC 3 Sports: TV 3 Player of the Week: Acadiana's Blake Johnson (April 7, 2010)

Brady Aymond, The Lafayette Advertiser: Johnson, Bergeron try to grab elusive baseball state title (May 13, 2011)

It all starts with Blake Johnson.

As Acadiana's leadoff hitter, Johnson usually sets the tone right off the bat and a star-studded lineup behind him usually makes the first inning an uncomfortable one for the opposing pitcher. "I think it's huge when we score in the first inning," said Johnson, who has hit .421 with 12 doubles, a triple and three homers this year. "And as the leadoff hitter, it's your job to do whatever it takes to get on base. You just want to set the tone and really get into the pitcher's head."

"You have great hitters coming right behind me every time," Johnson said. "So when I'm on base, there's no doubt in my mind that I'm going to reach home plate. A lot of times, I'll take second base and that puts even more pressure on them with Cord, Stryker and Ryan coming up with a runner in scoring position. And then Chance (Vincent), who is our leading RBI guy, is behind them and it puts a lot of pressure on the pitcher to have to face that kind of lineup with someone on base."

Blake is to the right.

As a wide receiver on the Acadiana football team, Blake won a state championship in football this year.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to have this guy on our team, but we got him because we were the only school offering him some level of scholarship. We were the most affordable school for him.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    Glad to have this guy on our team, but we got him because we were the only school offering him some level of scholarship. We were the most affordable school for him.
    He didn't say we were the only school offering some level of scholarship. I'm sure he had other scholarship offers. He was offered to be a preferred walk-on at LSU, a perennial national title contender. Tech's offer was better than walking on at those SEC schools, but I'm sure he had Southland and Sun Belt scholarship offers. He put Tech in a category with LSU and Ole Miss, not with crappy schools like ULL and McNeese. Separation. Elite.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

A baseball player going for Mechanical Engineering? I like him already.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    He didn't say we were the only school offering some level of scholarship. I'm sure he had other scholarship offers. He was offered to be a preferred walk-on at LSU, a perennial national title contender. Tech's offer was better than walking on at those SEC schools, but I'm sure he had Southland and Sun Belt scholarship offers. He put Tech in a category with LSU and Ole Miss, not with crappy schools like ULL and McNeese. Separation. Elite.
    You are correct. He cut those out early, most offering more than what Tech did; young man knew education he wanted and degree program. Article mentioned just two name schools for write up. LSU had been in contact with him a lot since April. Ole Miss picked up on him in recruiting junior Stryker Trahan (Top 3 state prospects for next year and high draft prospect). Blake runs very well and will probably take over CF before next season is over.

Just a note of interest, several top Louisiana HS prospects for 2012 and south Louisiana committed out of state and not to LSU as predominately in past. Then after that you see LSU HC sacrifice one of assistant coaches. What's up with LSU as most of what will be future years will now finally be more of new HC recruits. Will be interesting to follow.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Without doubt, I am happy he is playing at Tech, but the article reads like we were the only school that offered a scholarship. He may have received offers from other lower division schools, but the author didn't care to mention them. A scholarship from Tech is better than no scholarhsip from Ole Miss or LSU.

+ Reply to Thread