+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Tech to LSU System?

Varsity Bulldog SportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to all

Re: Louisiana Tech to LSU System?

December 16, 2009 New Star http://www.lanewslink.com/archives.php?id=14914

LA Tech, LSUS merger eyed
    by Stephen Largen - News Star (excerpt)
    State and local education officials said Tuesday the state's higher education review should explore the possibility of merging Louisiana Tech University and LSU-Shreveport, but it's too soon to know whether such a move would be feasible or beneficial for both schools, they said.

The suggestion of a merger came out in a Monday meeting of the Postsecondary Education Review Commission, where commission member James Wharton, chancellor emeritus of LSU's Baton Rouge campus, said he had heard a rumor that LSUS would be merged with Louisiana Tech, which would "instantly give you bigger enrollment" and more degree programs, including doctoral degrees, he said.

Tech President Dan Reneau said talk of a Tech-LSUS merger has come out "three or four" times over the last two decades, but Reneau did not say whether he would support such a move. "Those type of questions I'll leave to others," he said. "It could have pros and cons. It becomes an emotional issue."

Varsity Bulldog SportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to all
    Last edited by SportTechFan; 06-09-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    I remember when the subject was brought up after Katrina hit Louisiana and the state was looking at ways to save money. The LSU-Ruston topic made for an very interesting SGA President election in 2006 even though Dr. Reneau shot down the name change rumor weeks earlier.
    That was the first thing I thought of too when I saw the title of the thread.

LSUR! Heck no!

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

I wish this would have already happened. My daughter is going to SFA to study nursing because they have a great nursing program. She plans to go on and get her masters but not sure what dicipline yet. We would have loved for her to go to Tech but, Tech only has a 2 yr program.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

This was discussed in the late 80s/early 90s, when the state hired a firm from Boston to review it's education program and make recommendations. They recommended that LSUS be moved under the Tech umbrella, but I do NOT believe it said anything about the medical school. Those two are separate and their funding comes from separate "buckets" in Baton Rouge. I highly doubt they would allow the lsu name to be taken off of a hospital. Again, LSUS and LSUHSC are two completely separate institutions.

When the Boston firm made their recommendations, Edwin Edwards was governor and his private reply was, "Over my dead body." No way the state legislature was going to support the lsu being taken off of something at that time. Maybe they would today, and I'm all for getting LSUS, but don't hold your breath for the hospital.

I like the idea of LSUS being placed under La. Tech because of the opportunities it would open in Shreveport-Bossier, but I do not like the idea of us moving to the lsu system. Whenever they needed to cut funds in the future, Tech would always get cuts first because we would officially be the little brother in "their" system.

We do not need to move to the lsu system in order to move LSUS into the Tech "system". Also, I started this thread a few weeks ago about Jindal wanting to abolish the Board of Regents and the management boards for all four university systems in Louisiana. So, if that is going to happen, and there would only be one system, what would be the purpose of moving La. Tech?

Bottom line: I just don't trust those SOBs. The problem isn't so much lsu as it is the state legislature.

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

I don't trust them either.
    LSU would disassemble Tech piece by piece every time budget cuts came around.
    Right now, we're the jewel of the UL system. We've survived the budget cuts better than the others.
    Don't be so quick to get into bed with the enemy.

The original study in 2006 was to merge LSU HSC into LA TECH - the consultant reported no great synergies or savings. In her oral report to the University of LA system she then addressed an issue that was not part of her scope of work - basically saying that if you merged LSUS into TECH great benefits would accrue.. Mike Woods was on the U of LA System Board and called me the same afternoon to tell me what he had heard.

LSUS into TECH as part of the U of LA system makes more sense. We really have no basis for saying we could do better with HSC as LSU does.

STF

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FieldDawg View Post
    I think this move would be excellent, but keep in mind that the LSU system does not allow the tranfer of general funds to athletics.
    This is not correct. The Board of Regents does allow LSU A&M to use state support for athletics (well over double the maximum amount of any other Louisiana FBS university), but it chooses not to transfer any funds since it doesn't need to.

There is also no LSU System rule as UNO transferred over $800K to athletics in 2008-2009 and over $450K in 2007-2008. Those figures plus the student fee revenues for athletics were well under the maximum transfer amount allowed for both years.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

OK...not to sound like LFR! But, there has to be a deeper reason that LSUA&M wants to rid themselves of the burden of LSUS and the med center by passing it off to someone else. If Tech were to take on the responsibility of continuing to make them viable institutions, does the money that the LSU system uses to support the Shreveport schools stay in BR or does that money flow to TECH to keep them viable? Don't get me wrong and I'm not trying to be negative about this nor put a spin on it...but, I'm very suspicious of anything that comes out of Baton Rouge…just saying.

If it is on the up and up, then this would be great for TECH. Possibilities to move us to a Tier I Institution and get rid/separate us of the warts in Monroe and Lafayette. Moreover, we will have to keep the TECH name or all bets are off…no negotiating on this one!

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Lotsudo View Post
    OK...not to sound like LFR! But, there has to be a deeper reason that LSUA&M wants to rid themselves of the burden of LSUS and the med center by passing it off to someone else. If Tech were to take on the responsibility of continuing to make them viable institutions, does the money that the LSU system uses to support the Shreveport schools stay in BR or does that money flow to TECH to keep them viable? Don't get me wrong and I'm not trying to be negative about this nor put a spin on it...but, I'm very suspicious of anything that comes out of Baton Rouge…just saying.

If it is on the up and up, then this would be great for TECH. Possibilities to move us to a Tier I Institution and get rid/separate us of the warts in Monroe and Lafayette. Moreover, we will have to keep the TECH name or all bets are off…no negotiating on this one!
    You can only wish! (and no, this deal ain't happening; it will get some more discussion, but it might be a good deal for Tech and that is part of the reason why it won't happen)

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

This would make far too much sense for Louisiana to do actually do it...

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    You can only wish! (and no, this deal ain't happening; it will get some more discussion, but it might be a good deal for Tech and that is part of the reason why it won't happen)

Work with me!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

...To relieve the budget strain of a hospital, med school and additional 4-year campus. Tech would then take on the responsibility of funding these entities is my understanding.

lsu doesn't have the hospital do they? Thought that was a state run even though the med school studies there.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

It is part of the state run charity hospital system. Btw, an audit of big charity found $72 million annually in wasted funds.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    ...To relieve the budget strain of a hospital, med school and additional 4-year campus. Tech would then take on the responsibility of funding these entities is my understanding.

lsu doesn't have the hospital do they? Thought that was a state run even though the med school studies there.
    With services that span north Louisiana, LSUHSC Shreveport's campus family includes Schools of Medicine, Allied Health Professions and Graduate Studies, and three acute care hospitals. Anchoring our network of hospitals and clinics is Louisiana’s major university referral center - commonly referred to as the LSU Medical Center or University Hospital in Shreveport. Our other hospitals include the E.A. Conway Medical Center in Monroe and the Huey P. Long Medical Center in Pineville. LSUHSC Shreveport is home to state-designated Centers of Excellence including the Feist-Weiller Cancer Center and a Center of Excellence in Arthritis and Rheumatology. On our main campus you will also find an accredited Children’s Hospital, a regional Burn Center and a Level One Trauma Center serving communities across Northwest Louisiana, East Texas and Southwest Arkansas. Our medical center is one of only six hospitals in the nation affiliated with the world-famous St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. We are a proud member of the LSU System and our broad portfolio of biomedical research programs distinguishes our Health Sciences Center in higher education circles.

+ Reply to Thread