+ Reply to Thread

Thread: West is now a Free Agent

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

West is now a Free Agent

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6707803

Some New Orleans news. I'm really starting to get worried about this club. I hope the NBA can keep them in NOLA.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: West is now a Free Agent

If you wanted a sure sign that Chris Paul will leave after next season, this is it.

They might as well save everyone some time and move the team to Seattle.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    If you wanted a sure sign that Chris Paul will leave after next season, this is it.

They might as well save everyone some time and move the team to Seattle.
    Well the best thing for NO would be if this is just him trying to get more money out of the Hornets right now. The problem is, if you look at his quotes that doesn't seem to be the case. If he does leave, look for CP3 to start getting more public with trade demands. I didn't think West would do this before the lockout. If OKC has money, and I think they do, I think that would be a great place for him to go. It could push them over the top. They would have Durant, Harden, Westbrook and West as legit scorers. Ibaka would be great coming off of the bench with Harden. That would be a very tough team.

On the flip side for me, if I were a G.M. I wouldn't be giving big money to someone coming off of season ending knee surgery regardless of what his doctor says. I'd wanna see him play for half a season first.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6707803

Some New Orleans news. I'm really starting to get worried about this club. I hope the NBA can keep them in NOLA.
    Considering the population loss and the lack of big money these days, I'd be surprised if they stay. New Orleans just isn't very big anymore and it lacks the corporate wealth of even some of the similar sized cities. Of course, I really thought the Saints were gone too, and they surprised me by even committing to a longer team stay.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

If he does leave, look for CP3 to start getting more public with trade demands.
    CP3 was criticized VERY heavily last season when he spoke publicly about the posibility of leaving when he becomes a free agent, so I doubt that he will be too outspoken. But, I agree that he will be looking for the door. He will just do it quietly while waiting for his contract to expire.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc
    Considering the population loss and the lack of big money these days, I'd be surprised if they stay. New Orleans just isn't very big anymore and it lacks the corporate wealth of even some of the similar sized cities. Of course, I really thought the Saints were gone too, and they surprised me by even committing to a longer team stay.
    I was surprised when the Hornets moved there in the first place. I never thought that New Orleans could support two pro teams (even before the storm) and it has always been a Saints first town.

Atlanta just lost their hockey team to Winnepeg, after losing the Flames to Calgary in 1980. Now New Orleans is on the verge of losing the Hornets after already losing the Jazz to Utah. I think there are some places where things just won't work, and it appears that hockey in ATL and the NBA in NO are two of those things.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Now New Orleans is on the verge of losing the Hornets after already losing the Jazz to Utah. I think there are some places where things just won't work, and it appears that hockey in ATL and the NBA in NO are two of those things.
    It might be the best thing to ever happen to Tulane basketball.

HD

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

C Now New Orleans is on the verge of losing the Hornets after already losing the Jazz to Utah. I think there are some places where things just won't work, and it appears that hockey in ATL and the NBA in NO are two of those things.
    IIRC, though, the Jazz left primarily because the owner lived out there--they were doing pretty well financially at the time, I think. With the demographic change, though, it's going to be tough for NO.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    IIRC, though, the Jazz left primarily because the owner lived out there--they were doing pretty well financially at the time, I think. With the demographic change, though, it's going to be tough for NO.
    Don't like that he took the name with him. I think in some cases cities should be able to keep the name. Because of Karl and Paul I will always have a soft spot for that team but the Utah Jazz is just stupid. New Orleans should have that name.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Don't like that he took the name with him. I think in some cases cities should be able to keep the name. Because of Karl and Paul I will always have a soft spot for that team but the Utah Jazz is just stupid. New Orleans should have that name.
    The NBA is terrible about this. Unless you have a pretty generic name to begin with (like Hornets, I guess) you shouldn't be able to take the name.

Lakers, Jazz, Grizzlies - all should have found new names.

So many teams have great names that fit their cities - Rockets, Mavericks, Spurs, Nuggets, Heat, Nets (because of all the other NY/NJ second tier 'ets teams). It's so stupid to take names that fit really well in one place and move them to another (especially when they don't make any sense in the new city).

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    The NBA is terrible about this. Unless you have a pretty generic name to begin with (like Hornets, I guess) you shouldn't be able to take the name.

Lakers, Jazz, Grizzlies - all should have found new names.

So many teams have great names that fit their cities - Rockets, Mavericks, Spurs, Nuggets, Heat, Nets (because of all the other NY/NJ second tier 'ets teams). It's so stupid to take names that fit really well in one place and move them to another (especially when they don't make any sense in the new city).
    Yep, totally agree. Seattle has the Supersonics name still. (due to the Aerospace industry) That is a good thing.

Agree with you guys about the name completely. Really thought it was dumb that they took the name Jazz--it's not like it was associated with great success or something. I can sort of understand the Lakers wanting to keep the name, but even at that--the Pacific Ocean ain't a lake. A new name would have been appropriate.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Always drama with NBA players. I still bet they sign him and all is well in Da Big Easy for at least 1-2 more years. We need a more committed owner.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

I also think West re-signs.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    We need a more committed owner.
    Heck, we just need an owner. The Hornets could not be in a worse spot right now. Their best player wants out, their second best player just opted out, and they are entering the lockout as the only team that is owned by the NBA. If I were a player, I would be looking elsewhere too. Since the NBA owns the team, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the league use the Hornets as "contraction" bait.

Small market teams will most likely get a break with the new CBA (whenever that is signed), and someone will probably buy the team then. But, it might be someone who wants to move the team to Seattle. The folks in Seattle really want a team.

Here is an article that talks about franchise names and how important they are. They specifically mention the Utah Jazz as a name that doesn't fit, along with some other teams we have talked about in this thread.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...say-big-bucks/
    Last edited by StrayDawg; 06-30-2011 at 10:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread