View Poll Results: What Should Congress Do?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republican route - $1 increase in debt ceiling to $1 decrease in deficit

16 66.67%
  • Democrat route - ~$2 trillion in spending cuts

2 8.33%
  • Other - your suggestion

6 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Defaulting on Debt

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

U.S. Defaulting on Debt

What do you think Congress should do to avoid allowing the U.S. to default on debt? Forgive me if this seems half-baked, but I wanted to know some educated opinions and needed a study break.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Re: U.S. Defaulting on Debt

No increase in the debt ceiling without a balanced budget for 2012.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

All they need to do is cut spending by the amount of the increase in the debt ceiling. If the Republicans fold on this we are looking at the formation of a 3rd party.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Saw something today that said that the "debt ceiling" is unconstitutional because of the 14th Amendment. Makes cents to me.

The US is liable for all lawful debt authorized by Congress. The sky is the limit.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Default on the debt. Balance the budget and live within our means. Make sure you have plenty of ammo. Its going to get ugly when the food stamps and welfare checks stop coming.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    Saw something today that said that the "debt ceiling" is unconstitutional because of the 14th Amendment. Makes cents to me.

The US is liable for all lawful debt authorized by Congress. The sky is the limit.
    The left is very good at using the Constitution against Americans. If they are going to go that far, I think we should see if the Federal Reserve System is Constitutional or not.

"Congress created the Federal Reserve, yet it had no constitutional authority to do so. We forget that those powers not explicitly granted to Congress by the Constitution are inherently denied to Congress – and thus the authority to establish a central bank never was given." Ron Paul

http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/...-constitution/

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    Default on the debt. Balance the budget and live within our means. Make sure you have plenty of ammo. Its going to get ugly when the food stamps and welfare checks stop coming.
    I kind of agree. It's like we are on an airplane and the engines have stopped working. Do we take a nose dive (default on debt) or do we have a soft firey landing into the side of a mountain (increase the debt limit). I say lets get it over with and start rebuilding from scratch. I'm worried about the riots though. Government dependents will make the US look like Greece.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    All they need to do is cut spending by the amount of the increase in the debt ceiling. If the Republicans fold on this we are looking at the formation of a 3rd party.
    Good, bi-partisanship is an outdated political practice.

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    Are you serious? Defaulting on debt would crash the Earth's economy, let alone America's. Case in point, Greece. Until the Greek government decided to accept further funds to keep the country from defaulting, world stock trade was continually dropping in fear of a global depression and economic collapse. That's just Greece. America? Forget about it.

Champ genpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your time genpop's Avatar

I kind of agree. It's like we are on an airplane and the engines have stopped working. Do we take a nose dive (default on debt) or do we have a soft firey landing into the side of a mountain (increase the debt limit). I say lets get it over with and start rebuilding from scratch. I'm worried about the riots though. Government dependents will make the US look like Greece.

May I remind you of the necessary and proper clause....

Quote Originally Posted by genpop View Post
    May I remind you of the necessary and proper clause....
    Let's try it again. It has obviously caused harm to the country, as Jefferson warned it would.

Champ genpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your time genpop's Avatar

Let's try it again. It has obviously caused harm to the country, as Jefferson warned it would.

Damn, just because he was a founding father meant he was right about EVERYTHING? Without the necessary and proper clause the constitution would be a useless outdated document.

Damn, just because he was a founding father meant he was right about EVERYTHING? Without the necessary and proper clause the constitution would be a useless outdated document.
    I'm not talking about the clause, I'm talking about how it was used to justify the Federal Reserve. It's a matter of opinion and the opinion of the day was that it applied to banking. Maybe opinions have changed since the ruling.

I'm not talking about the clause, I'm talking about how it was used to justify the Federal Reserve. It's a matter of opinion and the opinion of the day was that it applied to banking. Maybe opinions have changed since the ruling.
    I suggest you and that Guiss guy look at some of the ridiculous thing that you post. You guys are experts on how to run a country yet if you were deemed that task, your country would be the most miserable hellhole on the planet. You'd be changing things at a whim and there would never be any continuity and stability.

I suggest you and that Guiss guy look at some of the ridiculous thing that you post. You guys are experts on how to run a country yet if you were deemed that task, your country would be the most miserable hellhole on the planet. You'd be changing things at a whim and there would never be any continuity and stability.
    I'm no expert at all... especially legal / constitutional issues, but I am a thinker and I don't think the Federal Reserve has served this country well.

I'm no expert at all... especially legal / constitutional issues, but I am a thinker and I don't think the Federal Reserve has served this country well.

World's number one economy for how many years??? Nuff said. Isn't it great that we can argue over petty things like this while people in Ethiopia are literally foraging for food?

+ Reply to Thread