View Poll Results: What Should Congress Do?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republican route - $1 increase in debt ceiling to $1 decrease in deficit

16 66.67%
  • Democrat route - ~$2 trillion in spending cuts

2 8.33%
  • Other - your suggestion

6 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: U.S. Defaulting on Debt

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: U.S. Defaulting on Debt

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    What happened in 2007?
    Maybe all of the politicos in DC were off campaigning so they didn't have time and couldn't screw it up worse that year.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

We need to slowly raise taxes and slowly cut spending. Doing only one or the other is being unrealistic.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Obama and Bush 43 are both horrible as far as spending goes. I put more blame on Bush (and I voted for him!) for getting sucked in to Bin Laden's snipe hunt and cutting taxes as sharply as he did. I put a lot of blame on the Republican party for allowing McCain to pick Palin. They damn near helped Obama unload the moving van into the White House.

Champ genpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your time genpop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    We need to slowly raise taxes and slowly cut spending. Doing only one or the other is being unrealistic.

Look at those soaring deficits during the greatest Republican president's tenure. If Reagan was president today, would the Tea party but shouting as loud as they are? NOPE

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Let's see, it goes down but it is soaring? It relatively maintains the same level until the mid-90's where it soars higher than ever... Oh, and doesn't the first two years count against the previous POTUS? So, who was POTUS before Reagan and what party was he in?

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    We still lose considerably on the interest with a "balanced" budget. That number will get larger and larger.

Too bad they aren't trustworthy, or you could just put that 5% tariff on the millionaire's and require that it goes strictly to nation debt and the interest. Nothing else.
    A million bucks isn't a million bucks. Government got us in this problem, not millionaires or any private citizen. Government can get us out by cutting government - and taxes.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by genpop View Post
    Obama extended the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy (foolishly) and where are the jobs? Trickle down economics is nothing but a phony ploy of the rich to get richer.
    Had Obama parlayed that with pro business policies, the economy would have improved. But, alas, obama is not pro business, pro capitalism, or pro American.

Champ genpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your time genpop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Had Obama parlayed that with pro business policies, the economy would have improved. But, alas, obama is not pro business, pro capitalism, or pro American.

First it was extend the costly Bush tax cuts, now you want to do away with the rules that keep businesses from killing us. Anything else you'd like to add? Maybe make businesses immune to any and all laws? Seems that's where your party is headed. The simple fact is that your rich buddies just want to sit on their money which I what I was saying would happen all along. We gave the rich huge tax cuts and it went to their bank accounts, never to be heard from again. Of course if that money had gone to the middle class and poor, it would have spurred demand which begats production.

First it was extend the costly Bush tax cuts, now you want to do away with the rules that keep businesses from killing us. Anything else you'd like to add? Maybe make businesses immune to any and all laws? Seems that's where your party is headed. The simple fact is that your rich buddies just want to sit on their money which I what I was saying would happen all along. We gave the rich huge tax cuts and it went to their bank accounts, never to be heard from again. Of course if that money had gone to the middle class and poor, it would have spurred demand which begats production.
    Business needs to hire people and expand. But, it must be done in an environment that promotes profit. Obama's policies do not give business much confidence. Business does not "kill us" as you state. Business sustains the country. What point are you trying to make? How do you think economics works? How do you think business works? How does profitable business "kill us"? Please explain.

Business needs to hire people and expand. But, it must be done in an environment that promotes profit. Obama's policies do not give business much confidence. Business does not "kill us" as you state. Business sustains the country. What point are you trying to make? How do you think economics works? How do you think business works? How does profitable business "kill us"? Please explain.

Environmental laws are ones that businesses constantly complain about yet these laws aim to protect us from pollution and contaminants in our air and water. If there were no laws restraining businesses, they'd do it at will and you'd see a sicker and less healthy population just to allow rich cats to make a buck. NOT worth it.

Environmental laws are ones that businesses constantly complain about yet these laws aim to protect us from pollution and contaminants in our air and water. If there were no laws restraining businesses, they'd do it at will and you'd see a sicker and less healthy population just to allow rich cats to make a buck. NOT worth it.
    I have been an environmental professional for over twenty years, much of it in industry. I have a very good understanding of the field. While some of the regs are based on "good science", many are not. The ones that are not are very costly and their effectiveness is unproven.

I learned very quickly the best way to have a good environment is to have a good economy. I know that you will be quick to point out the horror stories. As tragic as some may be, they are not the norm.

BTW, in my earlier post I was speaking of business environment.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

I have been an environmental professional for over twenty years, much of it in industry. I have a very good understanding of the field. While some of the regs are based on "good science", many are not. The ones that are not are very costly and their effectiveness is unproven.

I learned very quickly the best way to have a good environment is to have a good economy. I know that you will be quick to point out the horror stories. As tragic as some may be, they are not the norm.

BTW, in my earlier post I was speaking of business environment.

Yep, you may want to explain to genpop the distinction.

+ Reply to Thread