+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WAC marketing geography, potential to schools

Big Dog MTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really nice

Re: WAC marketing geography, potential to schools

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    The worst case is 0-12 right?

You can't do worse than that.

And 90 something years of football didn't change that for WKU. Maybe USA will be better than that (they can't be worse) and maybe not. Maybe UTSA will do better than that (they can't be worse) and maybe not.

There are so many other factors at play that I don't think the quick start up will make much difference between the two programs.
    That's kind of shortsighted.

What's worse going 0-12 and losing 8 of those games by less than a touchdown or going 0-12 with an average score of 45-10 and your closest game being 31-17?

Sure 0-12 is 0-12, but in which scenario do you feel better about your team the following season?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MTSUPiKapp View Post
    That's kind of shortsighted.

What's worse going 0-12 and losing 8 of those games by less than a touchdown or going 0-12 with an average score of 45-10 and your closest game being 31-17?

Sure 0-12 is 0-12, but in which scenario do you feel better about your team the following season?

It only matters how you actually do the next season.

Obviously losing 12 games by one point is better than losing 12 games by 40 each.

But if USA goes 0-12 and UTSA goes 0-12 in 2012 or 2013 or whenever, it'll be a wash. They'll cancel each other out. If USA turns around and wins 6 the next year while UTSA only wins 1, then it'll be different in that year. But by that point, it won't be about how many FCS games their program played on their way up.

Big Dog MTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really nice

It only matters how you actually do the next season.

Obviously losing 12 games by one point is better than losing 12 games by 40 each.

But if USA goes 0-12 and UTSA goes 0-12 in 2012 or 2013 or whenever, it'll be a wash. They'll cancel each other out. If USA turns around and wins 6 the next year while UTSA only wins 1, then it'll be different in that year.
    Personally I expect USA to do better than UTSA out of the gate, it's highly likely that once they're both a full recruiting cycle into FBS ball it really won't matter who was better out of the gate, but I will offer this caveat: If UTSA does as poorly in 2012 as I expect them to, it might set their program back a few years. USA has done things the right way, building slowly and winning lots of games. Both are definitely building a portion of their fanbase from sidewalk fans, the difference is, the sidewalk fans in Mobile will have three seasons to really invest in the program while they're winning more than their losing, sidewalk fans in San Antonio might have one(I'm not convinced UTSA goes better than 5-5 this season). If UTSA goes 5-5 this season against a bunch of FCS, transitional and lower division schools and then comes out next year and goes 0-12, what do you think that's going to do for their fanbase and recruiting moving forward?

But by that point, it won't be about how many FCS games their program played on their way up.
    It's not just about FCS games, USA will have played 13 FBS games(@NC State twice, @ Kent State, @ Miss State, @ Hawaii and four Sun Belt home games and four Sun Belt road games).

USA will be more prepared for their first FBS season, than UTSA will be for their second.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

It's not just about FCS games, USA will have played 13 FBS games(@NC State twice, @ Kent State, @ Miss State, @ Hawaii and four Sun Belt home games and four Sun Belt road games).

USA will be more prepared for their first FBS season, than UTSA will be for their second.
    How prepared was WKU?

How did that work out?

It didn't do them any good.

How prepared was WKU?

How did that work out?

It didn't do them any good.
    There are a few things that make WKU not a great comparison and I don't think WKU was really all that prepared to be honest.

For starters, I'd argue that unless you're an absolute top tier FCS school, start ups can be in a better position for moving up because of all the excitement around the program, however, you have to make the right moves to cultivate that excitement and I'd argue that UTSA isn't doing that, jumping in with both feet can like UTSA is very well may backfire terribly. I'd also argue that WKU moved up four or five years too late. Had WKU moved up earlier, they would have been better off out of the gate and they'd be better now than they will be four years from now.

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by DeepGreen View Post
    Disagree with the WAC "still being a better conference than the belt"; I assume you mean after this season.

I do agree that the name perception is still good. But is the name alone going to carry the conference in 2012 and beyond? With the teams that will be in place I truly question the strength of the conference, regardless of realitycheck.

Again, I respect your opinion and do not wish to get into a firefight with you. I just think it's a huge gamble for La Tech and the money donors behind the program.
    In the same spirit, I would say that I have no issues with UNT, and would actually welcome them as a conference mate... Regarding the WAC, you are right in that Tech certainly does not know what the future holds for the leauge - if it can even remain viable. However, using your "huge gamble" analogy, it is the only hand we have to play right now. We have been in the Sunbelt, so a return, by defiintion, is not a "gamble" - it is a sure thing - it is a step backwards.
    Last edited by DustyDog; 08-01-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: missing word

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

By definition, isn't staying in a conference that is itself taking gigantic steps backwards towards a level that is the same as the Sunbelt also a step backwards for Tech??

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    By definition, isn't staying in a conference that is itself taking gigantic steps backwards towards a level that is the same as the Sunbelt also a step backwards for Tech??
    Yes. We are taking a step backwards in any scenario other than CUSA.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    Yes. We are taking a step backwards in any scenario other than CUSA.
    Haven't been on the board since I posted this morning. My statement about the WAC still being a better conference was based on Sagarin's ratings that Reality posted a while back. Not just drinking the "blue" water. :icon_wink:

In any case, I agree with T_Won's above statement. We aren't going forward until we get an invite. We aren't going to get an invite until CUSA has an opening and CUSA is not going to have an opening until there is more movement.

In my opinion, it would be stupid and pre-mature to jump into another conference that is about on the same level until we know our chances. Just think of it this way - we get an invite to the belt (highly unlikely from Waters), we accept, and the next month CUSA has an opening. No way are they considering us in that case. Plus, we would have just spent money on a step down or (at the very most) lateral move in competition. The only advantage would be geography and that would be negated by perception of us in the same conference with the ul twins. So, it makes no sense (as many on here keep saying - including myself) to make any move at this point.

The only thing that we should be doing is lobbying hard for CUSA and, actually, MWC right now. We should be doing that and keeping an eye on what is going on with the B12 and Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Haven't been on the board since I posted this morning. My statement about the WAC still being a better conference was based on Sagarin's ratings...************ ********** ******************* ******************* ****************************** *********** ************* ************ ****************** ********************** ************* ***************** ************** ***********************
    Edited at the point the post became irrelevant...

Champ genpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your time genpop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    How do you know?

The WAC will not be better. On par, maybe,with the belt but definitely not better. We are going to quickly find that out when ESPN put ALL of the WAC's games in the least desirable spots...Tuesday nights, wed nights, ESPn classic an so forth. Nobody wants to see Texas St. vs Louisiana Tech. Sorry but that is just the truth. La.Tech is just simply not a valuabe commodity to reputable conferences right now. The Mountain West never gave us any type of consideration and CUSA has ALREADY passed on us. Of course we could change that but the only thing that will help is for the school to be ranked in the top 25 at season's end. Probably not going to happen.

Champ genpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your timegenpop Ultimate jerk and not worth your time genpop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Haven't been on the board since I posted this morning. My statement about the WAC still being a better conference was based on Sagarin's ratings that Reality posted a while back. Not just drinking the "blue" water. :icon_wink:

In any case, I agree with T_Won's above statement. We aren't going forward until we get an invite. We aren't going to get an invite until CUSA has an opening and CUSA is not going to have an opening until there is more movement.

In my opinion, it would be stupid and pre-mature to jump into another conference that is about on the same level until we know our chances. Just think of it this way - we get an invite to the belt (highly unlikely from Waters), we accept, and the next month CUSA has an opening.
    No way are they considering us in that case.
    Plus, we would have just spent money on a step down or (at the very most) lateral move in competition. The only advantage would be geography and that would be negated by perception of us in the same conference with the ul twins. So, it makes no sense (as many on here keep saying - including myself) to make any move at this point.

The only thing that we should be doing is lobbying hard for CUSA and, actually, MWC right now. We should be doing that and keeping an eye on what is going on with the B12 and Big East.

Why not? If they want us then it shouldn't matter if we were in the Southland.

Personally I expect USA to do better than UTSA out of the gate, it's highly likely that once they're both a full recruiting cycle into FBS ball it really won't matter who was better out of the gate, but I will offer this caveat: If UTSA does as poorly in 2012 as I expect them to, it might set their program back a few years. USA has done things the right way, building slowly and winning lots of games. Both are definitely building a portion of their fanbase from sidewalk fans, the difference is, the sidewalk fans in Mobile will have three seasons to really invest in the program while they're winning more than their losing, sidewalk fans in San Antonio might have one(I'm not convinced UTSA goes better than 5-5 this season). If UTSA goes 5-5 this season against a bunch of FCS, transitional and lower division schools and then comes out next year and goes 0-12, what do you think that's going to do for their fanbase and recruiting moving forward?

One thing that is assured (we both may agree) the nation as a whole won't give a damn about either.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Edited at the point the post became irrelevant...
    Just because you don't like where Sagarin's numbers put the Belt does not make his ratings irrelevant. They are very relevant in that they are the numbers used to determine the BC$ financial distribution to non-AQ conferences each season.

+ Reply to Thread