+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Re: What are you reading currently?

I just finished a book called Angels in the Sky by Robert Gandt. It's about the volunteers who went to fly for the new Israeli air force in 1948 when the various arab countries invaded the newly created Israel. It's a rather interesting story though the author was a bit too detail oriented. Still, this was a group of mostly WW2 vets who came to Israel to help them survive. Some were Jews who believed in the cause, some were just chasing adventure, some were soldiers of fortune -- but they became the start of the Israeli air force. Ironically, their first set of fighters were Messerschmidts they bought from Czechoslovakia. So you have Jews from what would become one of America's main allies flying German airplanes bought from a communist country.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Just finished Lewis’s Space Trilogy. Superior to Narnia in every way…and I like Narnia.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Just finished Lewis’s Space Trilogy. Superior to Narnia in every way…and I like Narnia.
    I wish That Hideous Strength weren't non-fiction

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I like the Space Trilogy, but it's no Narnia.

You might enjoy this.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

I wouldn't go that far, but I think Perelandra's understanding of temptation may actually be greater than Screwtape's.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but I think Perelandra's understanding of temptation may actually be greater than Screwtape's.
    Whoa -- that's a high bar.

I may have to check this out now.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Whoa -- that's a high bar.

I may have to check this out now.
    They start a little slow, but there's a big payoff.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Thrawn Ascendancy- Lesser Evil. Its the final book in the latest trilogy by Timothy Zahn

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i had a long solo road trip last weekend and decided to listen to stephen king's the stand. well, i started it anyway. i'm about halfway through it now. it's my first stephen king book and i have a few observations:
    1) apparently this is the extended edition and it's 47 hours long. my road trip wasn't quite that long. i could have done with the original shorter version.
    2) i was going to complain about all of the out-of-date talking styles for 1990 until i realized it was written in 1978. if you're going to give cool people dialogue 12 years in the future, make up some new phrases -- don't use whatever the hip cats are saying today.
    3) king is a really good storyteller.
    4) it's a little annoying when he puts maine colloquialisms in the mouths of people from arkansas and nebraska, like "towny" and "dooryard".
    5) a lot of authors write their own personalities in to certain characters. in this case, i'm pretty sure harrold is the author.
    6) it's interesting how he nailed the government's tendency to aggressively control the information available to the public in a pandemic and cover any signs of their own potential culpability. also the tendency to just try anything to show that you're doing something, and then stick with that plan even after it's proven not to work.

Just listened to Nathaniel Philbrick's In the Hurricane's Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown. Philbrick is a really good story-teller. I knew most of the story here, but still found the book hard to stop. He did a nice job of addressing the last year or two of the war, how the southern campaign flowed, Washington's frustrations, and the relationship of the French and Americans and how all that interplayed to set the stage for Yorktown. He clearly respects Washington, but despite the title, it's not hero worship. He gives a picture of Washington's errors in thinking and planning along with the "genius".

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I think the best book I've read this year (that wasn't a re-read), that I have been recommending left and right is Everything Sad is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri. Picked it up for the tween (who also ended up liking it a lot) but I thought it was fantastic.

A sprawling, evocative, and groundbreaking autobiographical novel told in the unforgettable and hilarious voice of a young Iranian refugee. It is a powerfully layered novel that poses the questions: Who owns the truth? Who speaks it? Who believes it?

“A patchwork story is the shame of the refugee,” Nayeri writes early in the novel. In an Oklahoman middle school, Khosrou (whom everyone calls Daniel) stands in front of a skeptical audience of classmates, telling the tales of his family’s history, stretching back years, decades, and centuries. At the core is Daniel’s story of how they became refugees—starting with his mother’s vocal embrace of Christianity in a country that made such a thing a capital offense, and continuing through their midnight flight from the secret police, bribing their way onto a plane-to-anywhere. Anywhere becomes the sad, cement refugee camps of Italy, and then finally asylum in the U.S.

Implementing a distinct literary style and challenging western narrative structures, Nayeri deftly weaves through stories of the long and beautiful history of his family in Iran, adding a richness of ancient tales and Persian folklore. Like Scheherazade of One Thousand and One Nights, Daniel spins a tale to save his own life: to stake his claim to the truth.

I've also recently knocked out a few Discworlds, re-read Slaughterhouse Five, started Midnight's Children (checked it out just days before the recent attack), and I'm working on All That's Good (which I've had for a while).

After a summer "bedtimes are too late/unpredictable" hiatus, we also resumed reading Wingfeather book 2, the awesomely named North! or be Eaten. TV series is scheduled to come out soon, so we want to get through the books.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I think the best book I've read this year (that wasn't a re-read), that I have been recommending left and right is Everything Sad is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri. Picked it up for the tween (who also ended up liking it a lot) but I thought it was fantastic.
    You three in particular (and maybe your kids, if old enough) need to look for this and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Took a break from The Godfather because some guys wanted to start reading the Bible cover to cover. Almost thru the Bible and I did finish The Godfather.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

we'll give it a look

+ Reply to Thread