+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: What are you reading currently?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I'm not a huge Talking Heads fan, but I started Byrne's How Music Works book and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's basically just interesting thoughtful essays on what shapes the music we listen to. Not super academic, just his thoughts and understanding (which is way more informed than most people's would be).
    Dragged in the middle a little but overall I liked a lot of it. It was helpful to have my phone and spotify handy to listen to bands as he mentioned them.

Big stack of books to read next to the bed. Really enjoying the two I've started - The Many Assassinations of Samir, the Seller of Dreams ( a new one, middle grade or YA focused) and Passage of Arms (an old one, written in 1950s I think). Both writers that I've enjoyed a lot, although very different in style (to say the least).

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Dragged in the middle a little but overall I liked a lot of it. It was helpful to have my phone and spotify handy to listen to bands as he mentioned them.

Big stack of books to read next to the bed. Really enjoying the two I've started - The Many Assassinations of Samir, the Seller of Dreams ( a new one, middle grade or YA focused) and Passage of Arms (an old one, written in 1950s I think). Both writers that I've enjoyed a lot, although very different in style (to say the least).
    Liked both a lot.

I can't remember how I got started on Eric Ambler (probably a throwaway reference in a forward or somewhere down a wikipedia wormhole) but he really helped invent the thriller genre. I've enjoyed several of his books at this point (even if I occasionally have to look up some of his cultural or even political references - one issue with a spy novel written in the '50s is that obviously the global political climate has changed, just a lot).

Also read a very modern Arthurian novella and started Snow Country.

We also finished the Wingfeather Saga last week.

Took us quite a while (it was - a lot - to read aloud), but worth every second. Might stick to shorter, stand-alone works for a while.

Got some books for Christmas that I'm looking forward to. All biographies - Scott Drew, Bono, and one Joe Aillet (who y'all may have heard of).
    Just getting to the Aillet Bio. It's a quick read, he's certainly someone we can be proud of. Pretty incredible ongoing legacy.

started Midnight's Children
    Finally able to revisit this (got distracted by all those other books and it came due back to the library and then just pushed down the queue by other books). Pretty good so far.

Also working on a newish book about Cleopatra's daughter (who seems to have had a pretty interesting and very cross-cultural life). Greek princess in Egypt, captive in Rome, queen of a northern Africa kingdom. Just started, and of course there isn't a ton of information about her so I think there will be lots of speculation in the bio, but my curiosity is piqued.

My pattern lately has seemed to be one older (like, mid-century or so) book along with something really new (like '22 or '23). Not on purpose, probably coincidental, but a trend I've noticed this summer. Not a terrible situation by any means, the books have been pretty good, on the whole.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I mentioned this before, but am reading through the Bible. 1 chapter per day since Covid lockdowns began. Will be finishing on July 31. A group of guys wanted the challenge and the accountability of doing it together. Has had a great impact on us all. If you haven’t, you should.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I've read the tea leaves...it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Not sure I mentioned this before, but am reading through the Bible. 1 chapter per day since Covid lockdowns began. Will be finishing on July 31. A group of guys wanted the challenge and the accountability of doing it together. Has had a great impact on us all. If you haven’t, you should.
    Start over on August 1. The busier you are, the more you need to take the time.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Start over on August 1. The busier you are, the more you need to take the time.
    If you're going to do that, you might try a Reader Bible for the next time.

Much easier for big chunks in my experience, with the added new perspective from sometimes reading the books in a different order. Headers, verse notations, cross-references, and even the book order aren't necessarily inspired (in my view) so even though it can feel weird, it's freeing. It's less helpful to carry to church on a Sunday morning and not ideal for in-depth study, but if you're reading through in a year or something like that? Worth checking out. I have the NIV one (The Books of the Bible) and have found it pretty good for a "read through a book" or "read through the whole thing" version.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

For what I think is the fourth time (aloud, no telling on overall) I am reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I think I read the series aloud to each of my three when they were roughly 4-5 years olf, but then they've each understood/enjoyed it more the next time when I was theoretically reading to the next younger sibling. Youngest didn't remember us reading it when he was little, so by golly, we're starting again. I am not at all displeased with an excuse to read it again (as if anyone thought I would be). He's getting less and less interested in being read to as his own reading gets stronger. That's the goal, of course, but it's bittersweet.

For myself, just finished Kipling's Kim for the millionth time. Before that was the Hunger Games prequel and Holes (at the suggestion of the older two) and The Vaster Wilds. Before that I think was Landscape with Invisible Hand (soon to be a movie). Currently almost done with the audiobook of The Narnian and just started Farewell to a River. Chipping away at the Bono bio. Read the first part of Grand Theft Horse. Probably quite a few more between July and now, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

On deck, Starter Villain and probably The Sorcerer of Pyongyang. And maybe the Scott Drew bio.

+ Reply to Thread