+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Hybrid View

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you reading currently?

Are there any bookworms on here? I've recently got on a reading kick, and am currently reading the "Sword of Shannara" trilogy hardcover (all 3 books in 1), by Terry Brooks. I'm hoping to blast through this easy reading before I go to Minneapolis for a couple weeks of work, where I can start on some other book series, since I'll be bored in the evenings.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

moby dick. i don't have a lot of free time to read, so it's taking a while. i'm 81% of the way through with it, according to the kindle.

before that is was a couple of terry pratchett's discworld books.

before that i re-read hucklberry finn and the last harry potter book.

before that it was some ray bradbury, some edgar allen poe, some douglas adams, some isaac asimov, and some emily dickinson.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    moby dick. i don't have a lot of free time to read, so it's taking a while. i'm 81% of the way through with it, according to the kindle.

before that is was a couple of terry pratchett's discworld books.

before that i re-read hucklberry finn and the last harry potter book.

before that it was some ray bradbury, some edgar allen poe, some douglas adams, some isaac asimov, and some emily dickinson.

Nerd.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Almost always historical stuff. Reading a book about the beginnings of the Manhattan Project right now, but its slanted more towards the personalities involved than the science. You forget this was a bunch of 23/24 year olds putting this thing together. Stories about wild parties, swinging, etc. Still see some of these people around town when I'm up there and its pretty cool.

Also reading a lot of Linux stuff in prep for my Red Hat certification.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    Almost always historical stuff. Reading a book about the beginnings of the Manhattan Project right now, but its slanted more towards the personalities involved than the science. You forget this was a bunch of 23/24 year olds putting this thing together. Stories about wild parties, swinging, etc. Still see some of these people around town when I'm up there and its pretty cool.

Also reading a lot of Linux stuff in prep for my Red Hat certification.

Love linux.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Nerd.
    ... says the man reading japanese historical fiction...

moby dick.
    a masterpiece. extremely long, but not a word wasted.

Champ ddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond repute ddgravy's Avatar

Read it again last summer,great book

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

You ever get around to reading The Man Who was Thursday? I think you'd like it, if you haven't already read it. Not nearly as strong a recommendation as the Hitchhiker's Guide (which I knew you would love) but still seems like something you'd enjoy.

I started the Hunger Games. Not bad so far. Premise kind of reminds me of The Long Walk.

Picked up The Great Gatsby off the bookshelf the other day on my way to the, um, "reading room." I probably liked it better than when I had to read it in high school and I can probably appreciate the writing more now, but it's never going to be one of my favorites.

Still working on the Fort Worth Cats history. The general stuff about how the minor leagues worked back in the old days and the Texas League and all that are pretty interesting. Cool picture of the Cats and Travs before a Dixie Series in 1920 in there. But all the details about who was the manager in a given year or how many RBIs the best player had or even the team's record get a little boring.

I also picked up a book I've had for a while about starting schools in Pakistan called Three Cups of Tea.
    Last edited by inudesu; 08-19-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    You ever get around to reading The Man Who was Thursday? I think you'd like it, if you haven't already read it. Not nearly as strong a recommendation as the Hitchhiker's Guide (which I knew you would love) but still seems like something you'd enjoy.

I started the Hunger Games. Not bad so far. Premise kind of reminds me of The Long Walk.

Picked up The Great Gatsby off the bookshelf the other day on my way to the, um, "reading room." I probably liked it better than when I had to read it in high school and I can probably appreciate the writing more now, but it's never going to be one of my favorites.

Still working on the Fort Worth Cats history. The general stuff about how the minor leagues worked back in the old days and the Texas League and all that are pretty interesting. Cool picture of the Cats and Travs before a Dixie Series in 1920 in there. But all the details about who was the manager in a given year or how many RBIs the best player had or even the team's record get a little boring.

I also picked up a book I've had for a while about starting schools in Pakistan called Three Cups of Tea.
    i read the man who was thursday a while back. it was pretty good. well worth reading.

the hunger games is a much faster read than melville, obviously, but it's not bad for a YA novel, so far. the story is good and the style is tolerable. it's no harry potter, but it's at least three infinities better than twilight.

moby dick.
    https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019...by-dick-quotes

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Basketball forum. Impressive.

Also, found the 10 year old trying to start War and Peace last night. I think she's chasing those AR points and word counts. I told her it's probably not going to be her thing, but I'll let her see how far she can get.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

re-reading "Deathly Hallows", prior read Drew Brees's autobiography and the "Blind Side" book. Book is better than the movie.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

The Scarlet Letter and the Environmental Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam. I'll begin reading some of Hemingway's works once I'm done with those 2 books.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    The Scarlet Letter and the Environmental Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam. I'll begin reading some of Hemingway's works once I'm done with those 2 books.
    Good luck on the exam.

+ Reply to Thread