+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: What are you reading currently?

How to Destroy a Program in 299 Days - T. Hester
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

More of a documentary than a book though.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    How to Destroy a Program in 299 Days - T. Hester
    Wasn't there already a first edition of this by a guy named Lloyd?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    Wasn't there already a first edition of this by a guy named Lloyd?

That was the 1500 day version by J Loyd
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Just finished The 7 and 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (a recommendation from my brother).

Pretty entertaining. Agatha Christie by way of Quantum Leap. Lots of twists and turns, very engaging. Guy wakes up with no memory at a big manor house and is eventually told that he's going to relive the same day over and over (in different "host" bodies) until he can solve the mystery. Each body interacts with the others and adds new perspectives to the solution.
    Just finished this author's next book. Pretty different, the "hook" of the setting isn't quite as strong. But it was ok. The daughter read the 7 and 1/2 Deaths this year and it's been one of her recent favs, but I'm not sure I'd even recommend this one to her.

Currently reading (along with all the other ones I'm still working on) The Demolished Man. The first Hugo winner!

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Just finished this author's next book. Pretty different, the "hook" of the setting isn't quite as strong. But it was ok. The daughter read the 7 and 1/2 Deaths this year and it's been one of her recent favs, but I'm not sure I'd even recommend this one to her.

Currently reading (along with all the other ones I'm still working on) The Demolished Man. The first Hugo winner!
    I don't know how many of you have a local library that has the account, but both of those books by Turton are on the CloudLibrary App--so you can listen to them for free. I imagine my next long trip will give me a chance to "read" it.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I'm not a huge Talking Heads fan, but I started Byrne's How Music Works book and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's basically just interesting thoughtful essays on what shapes the music we listen to. Not super academic, just his thoughts and understanding (which is way more informed than most people's would be). Maybe I should watch Stop Making Sense (the commercial for the re-release was great).

I've also started the Dark Lord of Derkholm which is off to a good start. Stumbled across it on this list (it was the only one that really appealed to me, although I do like some of Steven Brust's other work).

I'm not a huge Talking Heads fan, but I started Byrne's How Music Works book and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's basically just interesting thoughtful essays on what shapes the music we listen to. Not super academic, just his thoughts and understanding (which is way more informed than most people's would be). Maybe I should watch Stop Making Sense (the commercial for the re-release was great).

I've also started the Dark Lord of Derkholm which is off to a good start. Stumbled across it on this list (it was the only one that really appealed to me, although I do like some of Steven Brust's other work).
    Dark Lord of Derkholm was great. Still working on How Music Works, but I am enjoying it. Also started a YA (or maybe Middle Grade) book I got for my middle kid that I didn't originally realize was written by the singer from The Decemberists called Wildwood.

***** Originally Posted by inudesu
    Just finished The 7 and 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (a recommendation from my brother).

Pretty entertaining. Agatha Christie by way of Quantum Leap. Lots of twists and turns, very engaging. Guy wakes up with no memory at a big manor house and is eventually told that he's going to relive the same day over and over (in different "host" bodies) until he can solve the mystery. Each body interacts with the others and adds new perspectives to the solution.****

So my daughter and I listened to this on the way to Florida this past week. We both liked it. I actually finished it after getting back to Texas. She went and bought the book so she could finish it as well. Interesting story line. A bit on the weird and macabre side, but thought the plot twists were very fun. Definitely worth a read.

I'm about halfway through Project Hail Mary. It's by Andy Weir, who wrote The Martian. Very intriguing story. As Weir tends to do, he can get a big bogged down in the science. Still, an interesting variation on a first contact story.

So my daughter and I listened to this on the way to Florida this past week. We both liked it. I actually finished it after getting back to Texas. She went and bought the book so she could finish it as well. Interesting story line. A bit on the weird and macabre side, but thought the plot twists were very fun. Definitely worth a read.

Well, yeah. You had to finish it!

With the possible exception of the Hunger Games prequel book, I think this has been my teen's favorite read this year. Lots of "I thought I told you to turn the light off an hour ago" and "But Dad just let me finish this chapter" conversations (which I'm sympathetic towards as a bit of a reader myself).

I'm about halfway through Project Hail Mary. It's by Andy Weir, who wrote The Martian. Very intriguing story. As Weir tends to do, he can get a big bogged down in the science. Still, an interesting variation on a first contact story.
    I didn't think it was as good as the Martian (despite the higher stakes) but much more in his wheelhouse than the book that came out in between (which was fine, but a different kind of story).

I think the best book I've read this year (that wasn't a re-read), that I have been recommending left and right is Everything Sad is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri. Picked it up for the tween (who also ended up liking it a lot) but I thought it was fantastic.

New book by Nayeri came out and also sounds intriguing. I ordered it and decided to buy a copy of Everything Sad is Untrue (read it from the library last year) for the shelf.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

I didn't think it was as good as the Martian (despite the higher stakes) but much more in his wheelhouse than the book that came out in between (which was fine, but a different kind of story).
    So, is that a yay or nay on recommending Project Hail Mary?

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    So, is that a yay or nay on recommending Project Hail Mary?
    Yay.

I'm a couple of hundred pages into Project Hail Mary and so far it's more like The Martian than his previous book (Artemis) was. If you liked The Martian, you'd probably like Project Hail Mary. Different types of problems, but still sort of in that vein of lots of little problems, let's figure out how to "science" them. It hasn't quite hooked me the way The Martian did (higher stakes, but weirdly less unputdownable, at least for me).

Apologies for verbing a word and making up a new one in the same post. That's indulgent.
    My thoughts.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished up Bitter Harvest: The Great Betrayal. Very interesting insights.

Now working on Age of Entitlement. Fascinating so far.

+ Reply to Thread