+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

If any of y'all have kids that you're trying to get to read that might respond well to this kind of thing (or bookworm kids that might just enjoy it), I still have some others from previous years ranging from middle-schoolish like this one to pre-K where you'd be doing the actual reading).

I'd be happy to share (for 2021 I brought back the 80s kid book-it vibes and offered to buy Personal Pans if they'd complete it, including friends). It's pretty fun (if you're wired for this sort of scavenger hunt type thing).

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i just read the first chapter of the silmarillion. all i can say is wow.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i just read the first chapter of the silmarillion. all i can say is wow.
    You kind of have to power through the first chapters. I recently reread just the Beren and Luthien chapter.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    You kind of have to power through the first chapters. I recently reread just the Beren and Luthien chapter.
    what i meant was i don't have the words to describe how good it was or why. i almost feel like if i try to describe/explain it, it would lose some of its power in my mind.

what i meant was i don't have the words to describe how good it was or why. i almost feel like if i try to describe/explain it, it would lose some of its power in my mind.
    Gotcha. Glad you liked it.

https://www.deviantart.com/anubis100...le-V-286564442

cool

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Dune.

Holy cow!

I've been putting it off for years. But decided I wanted to read at first book before seeing the movie. And damn. DAMN.

This some above-average sci-fi.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Dune.

Holy cow!

I've been putting it off for years. But decided I wanted to read at first book before seeing the movie. And damn. DAMN.

Welcome to the club.

Dune.

Holy cow!

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Welcome to the club.
    The daughter was asking about me ordering it for her from library. This something that would be ok for a 12 year old? I guess I could bite the bullet and finally read it myself.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

The daughter was asking about me ordering it for her from library. This something that would be ok for a 12 year old? I guess I could bite the bullet and finally read it myself.
    One of the bad guys is described as having sex with a young boy and then murdering him. It's a relatively graphic scene as I recall--and it happens early to show just how bad the dude is. Other than that, it's not very graphic and I don't think the language is pretty rough. Think I was about 15 when I first read it. That was the only scene that really stuck with me as bad.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

The worst violence (incl. the scene mentioned above) is largely "off-screen". But definitely there. And a communal drug trip (hive mind stuff) is a key plot point. Also polygamy is a running theme. Traditional sci-fi tropes like telepathy and time-traveling consciousness are described by some characters as witchcraft.

Our girls are the same age. If mine asked about it, I'd want to give her a heads up about some of that material.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    One of the bad guys is described as having sex with a young boy and then murdering him. It's a relatively graphic scene as I recall--and it happens early to show just how bad the dude is. Other than that, it's not very graphic and I don't think the language is pretty rough. Think I was about 15 when I first read it. That was the only scene that really stuck with me as bad.
    The worst violence (incl. the scene mentioned above) is largely "off-screen". But definitely there. And a communal drug trip (hive mind stuff) is a key plot point. Also polygamy is a running theme. Traditional sci-fi tropes like telepathy and time-traveling consciousness are described by some characters as witchcraft.

Our girls are the same age. If mine asked about it, I'd want to give her a heads up about some of that material.
    Hmm. I'm sure she's just asking because she's seen the movie trailers with actors she knows. If she brings it up again we'll talk about it.

Thanks.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.
    Talk about a kick in the ass in how creative folks overcome that demon Resistance.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Been reading A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear and enjoying it so far. Clever writing and a compelling story. Turns out, fire departments and Game and Fish agencies are probably worth public funding.

Wingfeather 2 (North! or be Eaten which is a great title for a book) is what I'm reading out loud to the boys. So far I like it better than the first one (stage is set, now we get to some action). Nice short chapters also help with the read aloud at bedtime part. It's going to take us a while, but that's ok.

As usual, lots of books on deck - I'm really trying to read some books that I already own before buying more or getting new ones from the library.

The big kids are currently busy with "battle of the books" selections, but it's been fun to watch both of them get really into stuff lately. Daughter is almost done with the Hunger Games trilogy. Middle kid/older boy has discovered Percy Jackson. Little guy is excited about the Bad Guys movie opening soon (a favorite series of his).

+ Reply to Thread