+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

roadtrip to indiana and back got me through paradise lost, the hiding place (last read it in middle school), some poirot mystery short stories, the metamorphosis, the curious case of benjamin button, bartleby the scrivener, and half of the sandman audio drama.

currently working on wayne grudem's systematic theology, and i plan to get back and finish the silmarillion before i watch the rings of power series.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    roadtrip to indiana and back got me through paradise lost, the hiding place (last read it in middle school), some poirot mystery short stories, the metamorphosis, the curious case of benjamin button, bartleby the scrivener, and half of the sandman audio drama.

currently working on wayne grudem's systematic theology, and i plan to get back and finish the silmarillion before i watch the rings of power series.
    Wow, that really puts my reading of LoTR to shame. I've been trying to get through it for over a year now. I only just got to Frodo and Sam's perspective in 6th book (or second half of book 4, however you look at it) in the last month, but haven't picked it back up since they started marching with Sauron's army.

I'm not hating it. Enjoy a few things of it. Just a lot of unnecessary and unrelated detail. Weirder that it's my "style" of story telling (when I storytell), but it's much easier being the storyteller than the listener. I see that now. haha

I think the issue may be that I'm reading a digital book instead of paperback. Been thinking I need to buy paperback version of books from now on (and buy books I already have again). Digital books are very convenient, especially while traveling, but there's definitely something missing with not being able to hold an actual book in my hand. Probably why Dune is still my #1 book.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

I recently listened to Malcolm Gladwell's book Talking to Strangers. It's very interesting. He talks about some of the research around why we have a difficult time recognizing when someone is telling the truth or lying. And why that sometimes leads to catastrophic results. He's a bit weak on solutions, but it's interesting seeing some of the reasons. Among other things, he gives a much more nuanced understanding of some of the conflicts between police and motorists that have proved deadly.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

i just read the first chapter of the silmarillion. all i can say is wow.

I'm not a huge tv guy, but I'm pretty excited about this:

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I'm not a huge tv guy, but I'm pretty excited about this:

i'm not terribly disappointed in it so far. no spoilers, but i'm really interested in the plot and trying to ignore where things don't exactly fit tolkien's world. my main complaints:
    1) galadriel is a little bit of a mary sue
    2) some of the dialogue and sub-plots are really poorly written
    3) the dwarf maids don't have enough facial hair

i'm not terribly disappointed in it so far. no spoilers, but i'm really interested in the plot and trying to ignore where things don't exactly fit tolkien's world. my main complaints:
    1) galadriel is a little bit of a mary sue
    2) some of the dialogue and sub-plots are really poorly written
    3) the dwarf maids don't have enough facial hair
    anybody else seen it? finished the first season and thoroughly enjoyed it. i stand by my original criticisms, especially number 2.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

anybody else seen it? finished the first season and thoroughly enjoyed it. i stand by my original criticisms, especially number 2.
    I think I have two more episodes left -

It's passable
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I think we watched the first three but haven't been able to make it back to finish it off. The bookends aren't into it (one is not interested, too cool I guess and the other got a little creeped out) but the middle kid is all in. It's been fun to nerd out and "well, actually" and "oh, that's from this or that" with him.

Did you ever finish the Silmarilian?

As to books, I'm reading a kind of late western by the author of Forest Gump that's ok so far. It's called El Paso. Finally finished All That's Good and really liked it. Started 3 Big Questions that Change Every Teenager this week (oldest turned 13 last week). Also working on another non-fiction book about the history of treating trauma. Pretty well known I think, it's called The Body Keeps the Score and has been out for a little while now.

Read The Whale Rider recently (haven't seen the movie yet but I think it's streaming). I'm trying to get the daughter to read it. Finally wrapped North! or be Eaten this week (it was great, we're on to book three - The Monster in the Hollows). This is the bedtime read-aloud, so they take some time. Middle kid just finished A Wish in the Dark and wants me to read it (looks good). First grader enjoyed this one a lot.

I need to re-order Midnight's Children but I think I'll sneak another Discworld book in there somewhere first.

I thought I'd been in a bit of a reading slump but writing it out like this makes me think maybe not (or we're coming out of the slump).

Did you ever finish the Silmarilian?
    i was hoping i could avoid that question and just let everyone assume i did, since i went ahead and watched rings of power. i have not got back to it, but i'm wishing i had before i watched.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

i was hoping i could avoid that question and just let everyone assume i did, since i went ahead and watched rings of power. i have not got back to it, but i'm wishing i had before i watched.
    I don't think there's much correlation between the show and the story -- especially since they don't actually have the rights to the main story.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    I don't think there's much correlation between the show and the story -- especially since they don't actually have the rights to the main story.
    no, i recognized that early on, but it would have been helpful to have the lore in my mind of what happened in the first age before the events of the series. (and of the second age so that i could be properly angry at the way amazon butchered it)

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Anybody read "Killers of the Flower Moon" about the Osage Murders?

Just listened to an "Infamous America" podcast about the Osage murders. Crazy stuff that went on in the early 1900s.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Anybody read "Killers of the Flower Moon" about the Osage Murders?

Just listened to an "Infamous America" podcast about the Osage murders. Crazy stuff that went on in the early 1900s.
    I haven't read it, but I did hear that Scorsese is making a movie of it.

Still going on all these, and they're all pretty good so far.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I haven't read it, but I did hear that Scorsese is making a movie of it.
    Yes I heard. I’ll pass on his woke masterpiece.

+ Reply to Thread