+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Thanks. Cool story!

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

As mentioned before I don't read much fiction on the whole "Civil War" era because the truth is so much more interesting. Recently I read the biography of John Shaw. Absolutely fascinating and riveting accounting of an interesting life. A few highlights:

Shaw was born in Scotland and served in the British Army in India. He did not take to soldiering so when his enlistment was up he immigrated to America, entering at Mobile, Alabama. Eventually he made his way to Louisiana where he bought a small farm...one that came with an added treasure: SALT! His land was just north and west of Alexandria in what is now Rapides Parish, near Bayou Rapides. Actually near the Town of Boyce. He made a bunch of money selling his salt, as well as his crops. In 1861 he was 38 years old, so when the "Civil War" broke out he did not join the rush to enlist. He had had his fill of being a soldier anyway. In March 1864 the Yankees entered the area, part of the Red River Campaign. Now at 41, he watched in disgust as the Yankees burned plantations, "stole slaves" (that's how plantation owners viewed it), and generally harassed the local white population. His plantation, Elmira, sat several miles up a road, off of the main road. The Yankee cavalry, in a hurry and also being harassed by Confederate cavalry, skipped his place. By late April the Yanks were in full retreat, after the battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. They did more destruction and this time, Yank cavalry did go up his road and appeared at his place. Shaw's slaves told him to go hide in the woods and let them handle it. Armed with shotguns and pitch forks a group of slaves met the Yanks on the road. The Yanks urged the slaves to go with them. But they refused. With General Taylor's Confederate Army closing in, the Yank cavalry didn't have time to argue about it.

Disturbed by the wanton destruction wrought by the Yanks, John Shaw decided he needed to join the Confederate Army. At age 41 he enlisted in a battalion of cavalry being raised in Alexandria. This unit was folded into the remnants of the depleted 3rd and 4th Louisiana Cavalry Regiments and joined Colonel John Scott's 1st Louisiana Cavalry Brigade. This brigade was sent across the Mississippi River to support Confederate operations there, and eventually joined the army of General Nathan Bedford Forrest. By May, 1865, the war lost, Forrest joined others and surrendered his army. But not all Confederate soldiers were ready to quit yet. John Shaw joined a small group who planned to travel to East Texas where Confederate forces were still holding out, specifically in "The Thicket." Shaw and a friend wanted to check on their families and their homes first. While he was at his plantation Elmira, someone gave him up. The next morning a Yankee cavalry patrol arrived and arrested him. They took him to the jail in Alexandria. He was asked to simply sign the surrender papers, swear allegiance to the United States, and he could go home. Shaw refused. Weeks later a new Yankee general arrived in Alexandria. This general was forming an army to march into Texas and put an end to the on-going resistance there. By now it was late June, 1865. This general visited the jail where Shaw, and several dozen others, were being held and still refusing to surrender. This general? One Brigadier General George Armstrong Custer. Yes, that Custer. While Custer and his army was still in Alexandria gathering supplies, word came the last of the Confederates had agreed to surrender in Texas. Custer showed the documentation to Shaw and the others...who now realized it was futile. Shaw signed the papers and returned to Elmira the next day.

In the months after the war, central Louisiana, like the rest of the South was devastated. Shaw's salt was in demand and he got richer selling it. He lived to the ripe old age of 91, dying in 1914.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Picked up anything good lately?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I found a copy of Wheels of Heaven, which is a pulp scifi written by a professor at NSU many years ago. No mention of Tech so far but some of the evil empire. Despite that, it's intriguing so far. My father told me it was the book that most shaped his worldview (other than the Bible), and so I've been meaning to read it for many years.

And I picked back up Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. I am getting way more out of it the third time through.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Recently finished Lorna Doone (it was better than I expected, much funnier than I thought it would be, but still a very long, pretty old book that drags at times).

Currently reading Eight Men Out, Annihilation, and Awaiting the King. Mixing in the occasional random graphic novel when I need something faster/easier to read. I've been very impressed by the Marvel Stars Wars ones. The ever growing bed-side stack that I can't seem to get to has The Storm-Tossed Family, Your Future Self Will Thank You, Anna Karenina, and a Raymond Chandler novel (along with several others).

Working on Bunnicula with my kids. We started The Green Ember, but had to return it to the library before we got very far (we were liking it, I may just buy it rather than wait for it to come back available). Wrapped up From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler on audiobook that we mostly listened to on a road trip, and we've got My Side of the Mountain on deck. Plus, lots and lots of pictures books or early reader type books mixed in.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Recently finished Lorna Doone (it was better than I expected, much funnier than I thought it would be, but still a very long, pretty old book that drags at times).

Currently reading Eight Men Out, Annihilation, and Awaiting the King. Mixing in the occasional random graphic novel when I need something faster/easier to read. I've been very impressed by the Marvel Stars Wars ones. The ever growing bed-side stack that I can't seem to get to has The Storm-Tossed Family, Your Future Self Will Thank You, Anna Karenina, and a Raymond Chandler novel (along with several others).

Working on Bunnicula with my kids. We started The Green Ember, but had to return it to the library before we got very far (we were liking it, I may just buy it rather than wait for it to come back available). Wrapped up From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler on audiobook that we mostly listened to on a road trip, and we've got My Side of the Mountain on deck. Plus, lots and lots of pictures books or early reader type books mixed in.
    Anna Karenina was a painfully slow read for me. Way too many pages dedicated to scene setting to maintain my interest.

I am starting on Factfulness.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I'm reading comic books. And I dont care what anyone thinks.

The recent Marvel reboots of several Star Wars comics have been really, really fun.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I'm reading comic books. And I dont care what anyone thinks.

The recent Marvel reboots of several Star Wars comics have been really, really fun.
    Dr. Aphra was pretty good. And the Darth Vader series where she first appeared. Most Impressive.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Dr. Aphra was pretty good. And the Darth Vader series where she first appeared. Most Impressive.
    Dr Aphra has succeeded Cortana as my curvy interstellar crush.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Art in the Blood, and as of right now I just bought Thrawn: Treason

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Art in the Blood, and as of right now I just bought Thrawn: Treason
    Thrawn is one smooth cat.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm re-reading "Atlas Shrugged".

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

All three of the new Thrawn books have been very good. Timothy Zahn is a great sci-fi writer and has always been one of the best of the Star Wars authors.

I will tell you what I have been pleasantly surprised with are the two Mycroft Holmes books written by Kareem. The 5 issue comic was very good as well. Neat twist on Irene Adler in the comic. The third book is coming out in September, A young Sherlock (teenager) was in the second and is supposed to be in the third.

I am also awaiting the next Longmire book in September. Lots of reading that month lol.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

michener - caribbean
    craig - reasonable faith
    dostoevski - crime and punishment

+ Reply to Thread