+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Re: What are you reading currently?

On a history note, I'm about done with The Quartet by Joseph Ellis. It's basically about the development of the Constitution -- especially the role that Washington, Jay, Madison and Hamilton played in bringing it about. Not groundbreaking but interesting.

In case you're wondering about the pace, about 2000 miles in a car in the last couple of weeks.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Thanks I’ve been looking for something on this. I’ve always been fascinated by the stories surrounding Quanna Parker. I’m now listening to a series about the early days of the Texas Rangers who played a major role in ridding Texas of the Comanche
    To be completely honest, I hadn't ever heard of Quannah Parker before. I found this book super interesting and educating.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

I'm trying to bounce back and forth between fiction and non-fiction. I'm moving onto some fantasy.

Brandon Sanderson - Elantris

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    To be completely honest, I hadn't ever heard of Quannah Parker before. I found this book super interesting and educating.
    All my family is from Texas. Two of my Great Grand Parents were from Mexia/Limestone County. We visited family there when I was growing up and went to Ft Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    All my family is from Texas. Two of my Great Grand Parents were from Mexia/Limestone County. We visited family there when I was growing up and went to Ft Parker.
    I heard Joe Rogan mention the book on his podcast a while back and he actually did an episode with the author.

Kinda along the same vein, he recently recommended this book that I think I will try for my next non-fiction:

A Land So Strange by Andrés Reséndez

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    I heard Joe Rogan mention the book on his podcast a while back and he actually did an episode with the author.

I heard him say that. It is a hot book right now.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

I have a historical fiction thing from the point of view of St. Augustine's ex on deck.
    Confessions of X was fine. Didn't change my world or anything, just fine.

This weekend I grabbed some books off the shelf that have bookmarks somewhere in the middle. Some of those bookmarks have been in there for a really long time. We'll see if we can knock a couple out and add them to the "completed" list.
    Working hard on that Iliad. Read the first (really short) chapter of Anna Karenina. Haven't yet re-opened The Storm Tossed Family (but it's on the bedside table).

I did order the sequel to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (which I love) but I haven't started it yet. And I read a novella called The Angel Knew Papa and the Dog which I liked. And 2 (very different) graphic novels I recommend very much (one a recommendation from the daughter, the other I ordered for the older of my boys who loved it). When Stars are Scattered (the former) is an account of life in a refugee camp for a young Somali boy. The very much lighter tone of The Dragon Lord saga is blurbed as Lord of the Rings meets Calvin and Hobbes (which is about as on the nose as you could get for my middle kid's tastes) and was pretty good. I just wish it resolved a whole story within the collection. If you're going to package a graphic novel, you can have a cliff-hanger, but I'd like a beginning, middle, and end as well please.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I guess while I'm linking to the Rabbit Room website, I'll recommend something I should have mentioned before Mother's Day (I gave it to my Mom a year ago and she loved it).

Every Moment Holy is a book of prayers for everyday kinds of things. A Liturgy for the Ritual of Morning Coffee. A Liturgy for the Preparation of a Meal. A Liturgy Before Beginning a Book. That kind of thing. The prayers (and art) are really well done. Makes a great gift (sorry for not posting a month ago). But you know, a lot of Dads would like it too.

Working hard on that Iliad.
    Finished that sucker this week! I've only mentioned it a dozen times in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Gene Wolfe is the greatest English fantasy writer of the last, eh, 50 years?
    Reading a collection of Gene Wolfe short stories. Very good so far.

Still trying to strike a balance between the books already on the shelf that need to be read and all the bright shiny books in my library wish list.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Just read two history stories. Rick Atkinson's An Army at Dawn is about the American army fighting in N. Africa. Interesting story that I wasn't all that aware of (other than playing Allied General). Only problem for me was that it seemed deep in the details. That might appeal to some, but I'm not that big of a military details nut. The book is actually the first in a series of three. I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to read the other two.

The book I liked better was Band of Brothers. I found that a bit surprising since I'd watched the HBO series and knew a lot of what happened. Still, Ambrose is a good story-teller. He seems to get the level of detail about right, imo. Even if you've watched the series, I would tend to recommend this one. Probably going to try at least some of the rest of his stuff.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

The VRBO we’re in has a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird. Haven’t been able to put it down…shamefully realizing I didn’t actually read it when it was assigned in High School.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I pretty much only read non-fiction history. Not to say I won't again pick up a novel, but right now with limited time for reading I focus on my favorite genre. After completing the mammoth 1,500-page volumes on Napoleon I needed a bit of a rest, so am just reading articles in Military Heritage Magazine right now. Just finished an interesting article on the Marines in WWI. After Belleau Wood they took a ridge from the Germans the French had tried for 3 years to capture. Good stuff!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    The VRBO we’re in has a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird. Haven’t been able to put it down…shamefully realizing I didn’t actually read it when it was assigned in High School.
    Cliff's Notes saved my entire educational career.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I think we read that in 8th grade. Need to read it again.

I finished Elantris by Sanderson and loved it. I'm moving onto the Mistborn series.

+ Reply to Thread