+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I always read horror around this time of year. Any recommendations?
    I'll check it out. In general, I like the paranormal stuff. Don't know why. I guess it pairs well with the fact that my 5 year old randomly comes into our bedroom in the middle of the night and just stands in the doorway.
    You might try this one for your halloween reading. Not necessarily horror per se, but yeah, kind of. I read it last year.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    You might try this one for your halloween reading. Not necessarily horror per se, but yeah, kind of. I read it last year.
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I've been on a Bentley Little kick lately. Some of the stuff is a little raw, but it's pretty good. Stephen King is a fan, so that's how I found out bout him.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Reading The Fellowship of the Ring with my boys (mostly the 7 year old, the 4 year old either falls asleep or takes off to find some mischief). And. . . as much as I love these books (and I love them very much) I'm being reminded why it took me a few false starts in elementary school to get through the series even though I was a pretty big reader. As an older reader I appreciate the scene setting and the descriptive writing and the world building and all that. But, boy, it takes quite a bit of all that to get to the plot. It's a great story when it gets there (and of course I have the advantage of knowing how good it's going to be), but reading it aloud to a 7 year old in little bits at a time, it's made me painfully aware of just how much scene-setting there is. And we haven't even made it to the worst part yet.

Reading The Dain Curse and Oliver Twist. Bio of Dashiell Hammett on tap (The Dain Curse probably not in my top 3 of his so far).

Ironically (but not surprisingly) procrastinating the heck out of Your Future Self Will Thank You.

Working on this series with The Daughter (who's already done, but insists that I read them all too). I recommend it if you've got mid-elementary ages kids. Pretty fun.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Reading The Fellowship of the Ring with my boys (mostly the 7 year old, the 4 year old either falls asleep or takes off to find some mischief).
    If you need a short respite with your boys, check out Peter Nimble and Sophie Quire by Jonathan Auxier...both my boys (9 and 5) loved them...but probably not as much as I did.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

If you need a short respite with your boys, check out Peter Nimble and Sophie Quire by Jonathan Auxier...both my boys (9 and 5) loved them...but probably not as much as I did.
    Those look good, I'll add them to our list.

We had started The Green Ember sometime back, but it came due before we could get very far (and the Fort Worth Library must only have a couple of copies because it took forever to come available again). We were liking it, and we have it again - maybe we'll find a stopping place for LOTR and revisit The Green Ember. The older boy is motivated for Fellowship of the Ring because I told him that he could watch the movies if he/we read the books. And to be fair, I think he's hanging in there ok (maybe it's me that's like "get to the good stuff" and dreading the boring stuff I know we haven't even got to yet - looking at you Tom Bombadil).

Come to think of it, something similar happened to us with Bunnicula, which would be seasonally appropriate to pick back up.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Reading The Fellowship of the Ring with my boys (mostly the 7 year old, the 4 year old either falls asleep or takes off to find some mischief). And. . . as much as I love these books (and I love them very much) I'm being reminded why it took me a few false starts in elementary school to get through the series even though I was a pretty big reader. As an older reader I appreciate the scene setting and the descriptive writing and the world building and all that. But, boy, it takes quite a bit of all that to get to the plot. It's a great story when it gets there (and of course I have the advantage of knowing how good it's going to be), but reading it aloud to a 7 year old in little bits at a time, it's made me painfully aware of just how much scene-setting there is. And we haven't even made it to the worst part yet.
    Agree -- I found that Narnia is much better for reading aloud to that age group.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    moby dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    a masterpiece. extremely long, but not a word wasted.
    https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019...by-dick-quotes

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Basketball forum. Impressive.

Also, found the 10 year old trying to start War and Peace last night. I think she's chasing those AR points and word counts. I told her it's probably not going to be her thing, but I'll let her see how far she can get.

Anyone ever read Gene Wolfe? I'm about halfway through The Knight and it's pretty good.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone ever read Gene Wolfe? I'm about halfway through The Knight and it's pretty good.
    Gene Wolfe is the greatest English fantasy writer of the last, eh, 50 years?

That said, I've not read The Knight. But I'd like to.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Gene Wolfe is the greatest English fantasy writer of the last, eh, 50 years?

That said, I've not read The Knight. But I'd like to.
    Would recommend.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Not sure this should go here, but since all of you read a lot, I thought you might find it interesting...

I've always thought Lonesome Dove the movie followed Lonesome Dove the book closer than any other book/movie combo.

I watched an interview with Suzanne De Passe about production of the mini-series. They pointed out that Peter Bogdanovich and Larry McMurtry had written a screen play together (after "The Last Picture Show") that was to star John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Henry Fonda. John Ford advised Wayne not to do it so it went to the shelf. McMurtry then wrote the book based on the screen play.

Anyway, this is all out there on Wiki, but I had never Googled Lonesome Dove until I saw the short interview.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Not sure this should go here, but since all of you read a lot, I thought you might find it interesting...

I've always thought Lonesome Dove the movie followed Lonesome Dove the book closer than any other book/movie combo.

I watched an interview with Suzanne De Passe about production of the mini-series. They pointed out that Peter Bogdanovich and Larry McMurtry had written a screen play together (after "The Last Picture Show") that was to star John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Henry Fonda. John Ford advised Wayne not to do it so it went to the shelf. McMurtry then wrote the book based on the screen play.

Anyway, this is all out there on Wiki, but I had never Googled Lonesome Dove until I saw the short interview.
    That’s interesting. I’ve never read Lonesome Dove, but I might start the new year with it.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Lonesome Dove was one of the books I was required to read in either high school or college that I enjoyed. Another is Dune by Frank Herbert.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

That’s interesting. I’ve never read Lonesome Dove, but I might start the new year with it.
    McMurtry wrote 3 books with the Lonesome Dove characters. All are good. He also wrote Buffalo Woman that was made into a movie. I want to read the book before I see the movie.

Edit: 4 books.

Also it is Buffalo Girls

We finally got through Book 1 of Fellowship and now we're doing a little better. Little brother still falling asleep if he gets still, but bigger brother begging for one more page every time I try to cut it off for the night. Mines of Moria on deck in the next day or two.

When we get through Fellowship, I'm going to take a break to read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to them. I read it to the bigger 2 when they were around 4, so it's the littlest one's turn.

+ Reply to Thread