Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
Wow, that really puts my reading of LoTR to shame. I've been trying to get through it for over a year now. I only just got to Frodo and Sam's perspective in 6th book (or second half of book 4, however you look at it) in the last month, but haven't picked it back up since they started marching with Sauron's army.

I'm not hating it. Enjoy a few things of it. Just a lot of unnecessary and unrelated detail. Weirder that it's my "style" of story telling (when I storytell), but it's much easier being the storyteller than the listener. I see that now. haha

I think the issue may be that I'm reading a digital book instead of paperback. Been thinking I need to buy paperback version of books from now on (and buy books I already have again). Digital books are very convenient, especially while traveling, but there's definitely something missing with not being able to hold an actual book in my hand. Probably why Dune is still my #1 book.
Finally finished LoTR. I enjoyed it for the most part. But my statement still stands: lot of unnecessary and unrelated detail. I can see why it became so popular, just not sure it deserves its status as one of the greatest.

I also managed to read Starship Troopers. I liked it, but it also had some unnecessary and unrelated detail.

Not sure what to read next. Have lots in my reading list that I tend to randomly add to:
They Called Us Enemy
Star Wars: Bloodline
Star Wars: Queen's Shadow
Star Wars: Thrawn
The Count of Monte Cristo
Circle of Treason
The Decline and Falls of the Roman Empire
SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome

Percy Jackson series
A Tale of Two Cities
Norse Mythology
(Gaiman)
The Smartest Guys in the Room
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

And then a few others posted here have piqued my interest.