+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    finished lord of the rings (second time through -- third if you count listening to the audio version) and decided as soon as i finished to order the silmarillion. i don't think i'll read it right away. right now, i'm working on the deep things of God and the bounty trilogy.
    I put the Silmarillion off for years because I was scarred by The Book of Lost Tales - which looked/sounded so cool (but is so, so boring). The Lost Tales are basically early versions of the Silmarillion. Then I stumbled across this blog, read a few posts and decided to hold off on reading more until I'd read the actual work -and . . . I really mostly liked it better than I thought I would. Well worth reading.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    finished lord of the rings (second time through -- third if you count listening to the audio version) and decided as soon as i finished to order the silmarillion. i don't think i'll read it right away. right now, i'm working on the deep things of God and the bounty trilogy.
    I happen to follow Sanders on twitter and noticed that you can hear him on this podcast talking about the Trinity, might save you the trouble of reading his book.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I happen to follow Sanders on twitter and noticed that you can hear him on this podcast talking about the Trinity, might save you the trouble of reading his book.
    i follow him on twitter also. i bought his book when i saw him at the lanier theological library talking about the trinity in the old testament.

Varsity Bulldog RowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the roughRowdyDawg is a jewel in the rough RowdyDawg's Avatar

Currently reading Space Station Down by Ben Bova and Doug Beason. Shameless plug: Doug Beason is my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyDawg View Post
    Currently reading Space Station Down by Ben Bova and Doug Beason. Shameless plug: Doug Beason is my brother.
    Cool!

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Just finished up "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

My current read(listen):

"All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Just finished up "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch.

I really liked that one. I know I read at least one sequel which I also remember liking.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I really liked that one. I know I read at least one sequel which I also remember liking.
    I really liked it too. It was a pretty neat story.

I picked up the next one, "Red Seas Under Red Skies," but I needed a break from fantasy. I haven't read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    I really liked it too. It was a pretty neat story.

I picked up the next one, "Red Seas Under Red Skies," but I needed a break from fantasy. I haven't read it yet.
    Yeah, I've got to space that kind of thing out some. Fantasy in general, but particularly the twisty-turny complex scheme/emotional stakes thing in these. I like it, but not too much in a row. When you get back to it, I remember liking Red Seas Under Red Skies as well.

Ordered Johnny Tremain for my bigger kids as a book I remembered liking a lot as a kid. Eventually got them to agree to at least read the first chapter or so because I think they'll like it, but on the condition that if they do I can't say "I knew it, I told you so!"

Meanwhile I picked it up to leaf through and got hooked myself. So far it's holding up pretty well, and I still think they'd like it if they give it a chance.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Gentlemen Bastards books were pretty good, especially if you like heist stories. The later stories were much weaker than Lies though.

A friend just loaned me Gardens of the Moon. It's a bit different from the fantasy I'd normally read but I'm enjoying it well enough so far.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    The Gentlemen Bastards books were pretty good, especially if you like heist stories. The later stories were much weaker than Lies though.

A friend just loaned me Gardens of the Moon. It's a bit different from the fantasy I'd normally read but I'm enjoying it well enough so far.
    You know Gardens is book 1 of 10 right? It's a good series. The books tend to skip around a bit though time and 1-2 aren't as good as the others, but it's a fun adventure story for the most part.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Just thought about a series to recommend. Dennis Taylor is the author. The first book is We Are Legion (We Are Bob). Semi-comedy SF. Tells a cool story. Was a trilogy. Just noticed there's now a fourth one. The trilogy is a well contained story, though.

As far as I can tell, only available through Amazon. I listened on Audible. I have never seen the paperbacks in a store.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    You know Gardens is book 1 of 10 right? It's a good series. The books tend to skip around a bit though time and 1-2 aren't as good as the others, but it's a fun adventure story for the most part.
    Yes lol I'm aware. Quite a brave step.

Unpopular opinion: rather read those 10 than the Wheel of Time again.

+ Reply to Thread