+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Reading The Fellowship of the Ring with my boys (mostly the 7 year old.
    Finished Return of the King last night with the now 8 year old. Absolutely one of the best experiences of the (pretty difficult) last school year or so. That's a pretty tough set of books to read aloud, but man, so rewarding.

Moved on to Babe, which ought to be a little more palatable for both boys. We also still have some Bad Guys books from the library that got put on hold for a bit that we will likely break back out. Might suck big sister back into reading with Dad with Narnia or The Green Ember soon.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Finished Return of the King last night with the now 8 year old. Absolutely one of the best experiences of the (pretty difficult) last school year or so. That's a pretty tough set of books to read aloud, but man, so rewarding.
    Ride of the Rohirrim (actually that whole 2-3 chapter section) was a highlight. My version didn't sound like this, unfortunately.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i've never tried to read it out loud, but i just started re-reading the series. i used to just skip over the poems and songs, but this time i did the whole theatrical production in my head, including adding a tune to the songs. totally worth it. i hope you sang those songs for your boy...

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i've never tried to read it out loud, but i just started re-reading the series. i used to just skip over the poems and songs, but this time i did the whole theatrical production in my head, including adding a tune to the songs. totally worth it. i hope you sang those songs for your boy...
    I wouldn't call it singing per se, but I did try to make it clear when a character was singing or reciting.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Taking a short break from fiction and reading NT Wright’s Justification. Interesting argument, but I’m still not compelled.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Been on an "exploring/settling the west kick". So many books about Lewis and Clark... Lots of controversy involving Meriwether Lewis...then throwing in some Daniel Boone.

Any of you have a favorite author or views of these?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Taking a short break from fiction and reading NT Wright’s Justification. Interesting argument, but I’m still not compelled.
    When I was young, me and my father had the pleasure of eating with Dr. Wright at the MacAlister's in Monroe when he came into town for a conference.

His work on justification is interesting indeed. No question he's a preeminent New Testament Scholar. In terms of pure compelling-ness, I'm more taken with his book Surprised by Hope.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    When I was young, me and my father had the pleasure of eating with Dr. Wright at the MacAlister's in Monroe when he came into town for a conference.

His work on justification is interesting indeed. No question he's a preeminent New Testament Scholar. In terms of pure compelling-ness, I'm more taken with his book Surprised by Hope.
    That's what I've heard. I've got The Day the Revolution Began in the wings after I finish this one. In his defense, I'm hopping into the middle of a debate that is nuanced and complex (and my Greek isn't what it once was). It feels like he's overcorrecting a valid issue. Good mental stretch either way.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Been on an "exploring/settling the west kick". So many books about Lewis and Clark... Lots of controversy involving Meriwether Lewis...then throwing in some Daniel Boone.

Any of you have a favorite author or views of these?
    My parents got really into Lewis and Clark a few years back, camped along a lot of the trail. Not sure what their favorite books were, I think I've seen the Stephen Ambrose book at their house and they bought at least one while following the trail - but I found this one pretty interesting.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Marvel made a bunch of comics free on their app (Marvel Unlimited) for these troubling times.

Free issues include some vintage Spidey and Xmen. Also some of the newer reboots of Capt Marvel, Fantastic 4, etc.

Be sure to get the app on your tablet. (Comics are hard to read on a phone)

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    That's what I've heard. I've got The Day the Revolution Began in the wings after I finish this one. In his defense, I'm hopping into the middle of a debate that is nuanced and complex (and my Greek isn't what it once was). It feels like he's overcorrecting a valid issue. Good mental stretch either way.
    i've been listening to the podcast wright does with justin briarly. "overcorrecting" is a good way to describe the way i feel about a lot of the things he says. he always has really, REALLY good insight, but always has to contrast his view with the view of "many in the west". this often turns out to be somewhat of a strawman, if my experience is any guide, and he seems to bounce perhaps a little too far for the sake of contrast.

Working on The Iliad. I know the stories, but have never made it through the translated verse version despite having had it (and matching Odyssey) on the shelf for years. Kind of have to get into a rhythm on that kind of thing, it's challenging to read much of at a time for me.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

I think I'm going to start Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit. It seems daunting and the movies may have tainted it, but it seems to be "the" books to read for people like me. Think I'll move on to Neil Gaiman's work afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I think I'm going to start Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit. It seems daunting and the movies may have tainted it, but it seems to be "the" books to read for people like me. Think I'll move on to Neil Gaiman's work afterwards.
    Gaiman made me like fiction again. The Ocean at the End of the Lane May be my favorite. Neverwhere, Good Omens, and American Gods are epic.

If you can get your hands on the collected Sandman stuff, there is a ton of gold in there.

+ Reply to Thread