+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

At the moment I'm reading a Discworld City-Watch book called Snuff. It's quite good. Before that I re-read Kim (always amazing) and a book of short stories by Ursula K. Le Guin (so-so).

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    At the moment I'm reading a Discworld City-Watch book called Snuff.
    i love terry pratchett's stories, but his writing is not very polished. still fun to read.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i love terry pratchett's stories, but his writing is not very polished. still fun to read.
    Just revisited Good Omens this week...one of my favorites (if you don’t take it too seriously).

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Just revisited Good Omens this week...one of my favorites (if you don’t take it too seriously).
    does anyone take terry pratchett seriously?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

does anyone take terry pratchett seriously?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...erry-pratchett

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I was late finally getting to him, but I've liked the city-watch books I've read. Really fun tone.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Listened to a few things lately -- some of them from recommendations here. Liked The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Kind of odd story, but entertaining. Loved The Lies of Loch Lamora. That's a well done book.

Tried one I hadn't heard of before. It looked interesting at B&N. It was called A Big Ship at the End of the Universe. It's book one of three. I will not be reading the others. The two lead characters are both extremely annoying for most of the book (whiny, petulant, totally self-absorbed). They do seem to get a miraculous makeover toward the end. The book is an odd mix of magic and SF. To me, it just points out why I don't like magic stories for the most part--it's too easy to just fix any problem that's been set up. Either the great new magic fixes it or some other thing miraculously makes the great new magic not work. The book also has a lot of "why the heck would you do that?" moments. Overall just not very good IMHO.

Started a book by Shusaku Endo, but I think I'm going to return it to the library for another day. I like his work, I own two of his books and I read another that I think I prefer to those even, but this one starts off just too sad for me to put up with right now. I'm sure the loss sets up the rest of the story, but I'm not waiting around. Maybe another day.

The books I own by him are pretty interesting, one is Silence, which was made into a movie fairly recently by Martin Scorsese and the other is called The Samurai and is about a 17th century diplomatic mission from Japan to Mexico and Europe.

Recently finished an interesting fantasy/horror story that imagines the Klan as literal otherworldly demons called Ring Shout. I thought it was pretty good.

Finally working on Authority to wrap up that Southern Reach triology, and I have a historical fiction thing from the point of view of St. Augustine's ex on deck.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

by S. C. Gwynne

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

by S. C. Gwynne
    Thanks I’ve been looking for something on this. I’ve always been fascinated by the stories surrounding Quanna Parker. I’m now listening to a series about the early days of the Texas Rangers who played a major role in ridding Texas of the Comanche

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post

by S. C. Gwynne
    One of my good friends told me about this one, but had forgotten about it.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Thanks I’ve been looking for something on this. I’ve always been fascinated by the stories surrounding Quanna Parker. I’m now listening to a series about the early days of the Texas Rangers who played a major role in ridding Texas of the Comanche
    It's a fantastic book.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    This sparks another question. Taking the thread another direction.

What books have you attempted repeatedly and never made it through?
    This weekend I grabbed some books off the shelf that have bookmarks somewhere in the middle. Some of those bookmarks have been in there for a really long time. We'll see if we can knock a couple out and add them to the "completed" list.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    This weekend I grabbed some books off the shelf that have bookmarks somewhere in the middle. Some of those bookmarks have been in there for a really long time. We'll see if we can knock a couple out and add them to the "completed" list.
    Best of luck.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Based on recommendation here, I read Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane. That's a very good book. Thought it was a creative direction and liked the perspective he told the story from. Also finally decided to try Terry Pratchet. Listened to Unseen Academicals. He is pretty funny at times, and the story was good if a bit narrow in scope (it's basically about a soccer game, though that's a gross oversimplification).

Also read The Humans by Matt Haig. SF comedy about an Oxford mathematician who makes a major breakthrough that's years ahead of schedule (at least, based on other civilizations). The other civilizations send an assassin to eliminate him and squelch the breakthrough because they don't think humans are ready. However, the assassin finds humanity attractive and has a hard time completing his mission. Some nice twists.

One thing I notice about a lot of Brit SF/Fantasy authors though. They often seem like they are trying to channel Douglas Adams.

+ Reply to Thread