+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    You guys are late to the party. We talked about those books back on like page one of this thread.
    Well excuse the hell outta me ...

Just before those, I read John McWhorter's Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue. If you enjoy histories of English, this one is different -- I'd even say better -- than others.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Well excuse the hell outta me ...

Just before those, I read John McWhorter's Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue. If you enjoy histories of English, this one is different -- I'd even say better -- than others.
    That looks interesting. I may have to look into it. I like reading about how jacked up our dumb language is.

And I mostly just wanted to brag about how hipster BB&B was in regard to The Hunger Games. We liked it back before it was a movie. :icon_wink: Plus, this way I also get to brag about knowing someone who was in the movie.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

You guys are late to the party. We talked about those books back on like page one of this thread. If you're into the whole dystopian YA thing, I kind of think that the Chaos Walking trilogy might be the new "big thing." Pretty bleak, but interesting (and nice, fast, guilty-pleasure type reads). Charlie Kaufman is supposed to be working on the movie adaptation.

I just finished a book of stories by George McDonald. He's supposed to be such a huge influence on so many writers I like (Lewis, Tolkien, L'Engle, Chesterton, etc) that I figured I ought to give him a shot. They were. . . ok. Maybe I read the wrong set of stories, but they didn't really wow me. Maybe I'll give him a shot with some of his better known stuff.

I'm currently reading John Steinbeck's take on Malory, and Frederick Buechner's take on the apocryphal story of Tobit.

Also still working on that little book on The Lord's Prayer by N.T. Wright (but I'm almost done).
    forgot to mention that the great divorce inspired me to look into mcdonald, too, but i haven't got around to reading anything by him yet. i'm pretty sure you have to read it with a heavy scottish accent in order to appreciate it fully.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    forgot to mention that the great divorce inspired me to look into mcdonald, too, but i haven't got around to reading anything by him yet. i'm pretty sure you have to read it with a heavy scottish accent in order to appreciate it fully.
    Well that would help (just about anything), but the stories I read were just kind of uninteresting. Very flowery 19th century description, but without enough story to make it worth it. Similar to the worst Poe stuff.

But it was just a random collection of stories. I'm going to give the Princess and the Goblin a chance (my library system doesn't seem to have The Golden Key).

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post

Requested from library.

Plus, this way I also get to brag about knowing someone who was in the movie.
    On a related note, the guy who let us crash at his place in Fayetteville on the way to the Kansas State game has a small role in the new Avengers film. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm hoping to this weekend.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

On a related note, the guy who let us crash at his place in Fayetteville on the way to the Kansas State game has a small role in the new Avengers film. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm hoping to this weekend.
    who does he play?

Champ ddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond repute ddgravy's Avatar

The Art of Intelligence lessons from a life in the CIA by Henry Crumpton.

who does he play?
    His IMDB page says "Maintenance Guy." Having not seen the movie, I'm going to assume that's one of those obscure Silver Age Avengers like Ant-Man or someone like that.

His IMDB page says "Maintenance Guy." Having not seen the movie, I'm going to assume that's one of those obscure Silver Age Avengers like Ant-Man or someone like that.
    that must be it. :icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    I just started on "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson. I blew through the first 90 pages in what seemed like about 20 minutes, because it was that interesting. I'm really likin' it thus far.
    I just started this the other night.

But I'm also back into Vanished Kingdoms and started The Autobiography of Alice B. Tolkas and a random Dave Barry book, too. We'll see which one gets read first.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

My new avatar references George Mann's A Song of Fire and Ice saga, which I've gotten way too into.

Darn you HBO!

the godfather: great movie; good book.
    maybe i would have enjoyed it more if i didn't already know everything that was going to happen.

i also recently finished the great divorce, which prompted me to go back and read some more of the devine comedy. it also reminded me of how brilliant c.s. lewis was, which convinced me to go back and give till we have faces one more try.
    i finished till we have faces and thought it was excellent. i don't know why it was so hard for me to get into it the first time.

just started george mcdondald's phantastes. i can definitely tell where lewis and tolkien drew from him. it's a pretty fast read for 19th century romantic lit. i may read the princess and the goblin later, but i'm thinking i need to work in some non-fiction in the meantime.

on another note, my son just started reading i robot. i'll make a nerd of him yet...

Guest HydroMaster is an unknown

I need to learn...I'm reading a Linux book :S

+ Reply to Thread