+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Hamilton's Curse should be required reading for all Americans. The fight between small/big government proponents began early on in the history of the nation. Small government backers held on for a while but eventually Hamilton supporters won the day, added considerably by their cohorts on the Supreme Court who greatly expanded the purview of the federal government.

It is depressing to see what we could have had, and what we ended up with. While DiLorenzo tells how to change the status quo, I doubt that Americans have the will to do so. Too many getting too much from the government for that to happen. :bigcry:
    Or then maybe govt is a healthy, legitimate, even God-ordained institution for individuals to share common goods and pursue shared goals.

It's worth noting that the small govt backers you reference were the largely the same Founders that owned other humans as property. Hamilton, however, was an abolitionist.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

It was a complicated time. Hamilton most likely own household slaves (through his marriage), and he bought slaves, if not for himself, for family.

http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/2...ery.html#_ftn7

Jefferson originally proposed Ordinance 0f 1784 would have been prohibited slavery extensively in both the North and South territories, including what would become Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee, and prohibited slavery in all territories by 1800.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_...on_and_slavery

Like I said, it was a complicated time and these were complicated men. :icon_wink:

But getting back to the point of the book, Hamilton would love our form of government today. It has almost everything he wanted: a standing army, the IRS, corporate welfare, consolidation of power in DC, erosion of states rights, the constant finding of implied rights in the Constitution, judicial activism, a federal bank, and so on. Hamilton wanted very much to implement the British form of mercantilism as our form of government. About the only thing that has not come to pass is the appointment of a president for life.

Just saying I would have much preferred for the Jeffersonian view to have won out, instead of Hamilton's.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

had just about enough kant (kan't reason his way out of a paper sack). moving on to some thomas paine and johann wolfgang von goethe.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    thomas paine and johann wolfgang von goethe.
    godless heathens.

heads up on that ...

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Finally finished Robert Gates' book. Total shift of gears: Clive Cussler, The Spy. #3 in Isaac Bell series.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    godless heathens.

heads up on that ...
    yeah, although they may tell you otherwise (depending on what mood you catch them in)

i like bayard taylor's translation of faust.

yeah, although they may tell you otherwise (depending on what mood you catch them in)

i like bayard taylor's translation of faust.
    If you like the Faust story, try "The Master & Margarita" by Mikail Bulgakov(?).

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    If you liked it, you'll like the sequel. If you didn't, you won't.

It's mostly more of the same. Julia's story. More Fillory. Almost no Brakebills.
    i figured julia would get pulled back into it at some point. i think i'm next in line for it from the library.
    I just re-read The Magicians and The Magician King to get ready to read The Magician's Land. Now about a third of the way in, and liking it very much.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

His IMDB page says "Maintenance Guy." Having not seen the movie, I'm going to assume that's one of those obscure Silver Age Avengers like Ant-Man or someone like that.
    that must be it. :icon_wink:
    I think his character has a name now. They used him on the SHIELD tv show.

started to put this on the peeve thread, but decided to revive this one instead. i just read the first three chapters of the martian. cool story. mediocre writing. terrible chemistry. you can't work out chemical equations by volume when you're dealing with liquids. 50 liters of liquid oxygen is not enough to give you 100 liters of liquid water.

i'm still going to read it though. like sherlock holmes and mcgyver, it's cool to imagine even if you know it doesn't really work that way. and so far, the only mistake he's really made is computational error.

started to put this on the peeve thread, but decided to revive this one instead. i just read the first three chapters of the martian. cool story. mediocre writing. terrible chemistry. you can't work out chemical equations by volume when you're dealing with liquids. 50 liters of liquid oxygen is not enough to give you 100 liters of liquid water.

i'm still going to read it though. like sherlock holmes and mcgyver, it's cool to imagine even if you know it doesn't really work that way. and so far, the only mistake he's really made is computational error.
    Haven't read it yet, but it's on my list.

Related:

Related:
    that comic is what put it on my list. but if you're going to write a book with that much intentional nerd appeal, you should at least get your chemistry straight...

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

To Kill A Mockingbird

Getting ready for the new book.

Champ Dawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her game Dawg04's Avatar

Related:

Book was tremendous. Finished it in three days.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

My almost 5-year old won't sit still for anything unless it's one of the Chrinicles of Narnia. We're going all out of order. We read the Horse and His Boy first. Yesterday we finished the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Today he insisted that we start the Magician's Nephew.

It's some of the most gratifying time he and I spend together...I'm gonna live it up because he won't always want to hang out with me!

+ Reply to Thread