+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    Just thought about a series to recommend. Dennis Taylor is the author. The first book is We Are Legion (We Are Bob). Semi-comedy SF. Tells a cool story. Was a trilogy. Just noticed there's now a fourth one. The trilogy is a well contained story, though.

As far as I can tell, only available through Amazon. I listened on Audible. I have never seen the paperbacks in a store.
    i came really close to getting that on audible when i had free credits to use. i think i wound up going with crime and punishment instead. i still may pick it up and give it a listen if i get some free credits again (or start travelling a lot again).

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Yes lol I'm aware. Quite a brave step.

Unpopular opinion: rather read those 10 than the Wheel of Time again.
    I've never been able to make myself try Wheel of Time. I don't like stories where the author clearly doesn't have a plan of how to end it. And that's always been my impression of Jordan, and to a lesser extent--Brooks.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

I've never been able to make myself try Wheel of Time. I don't like stories where the author clearly doesn't have a plan of how to end it. And that's always been my impression of Jordan, and to a lesser extent--Brooks.
    i did try. slogged through the first chapter and decided paint drying on the wall was much more interesting. a day later i did not even remember a single detail of what i had just read.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i did try. slogged through the first chapter and decided paint drying on the wall was much more interesting. a day later i did not even remember a single detail of what i had just read.
    Sounds a lot like WBB.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I probably say this every time they have come up on this thread, but I really liked the first couple and then slogged down for good somewhere around 4, 5, or 6 and never picked it back up. Even that far back (when the plan for was a shorter set) it was pretty clearly getting padded.

I think I still have those first few, and I've always considered trying to start over and get through the whole set - but so far it's just not ever seemed worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I happen to follow Sanders on twitter and noticed that you can hear him on this podcast talking about the Trinity, might save you the trouble of reading his book.
    maybe a little off topic, but i follow sanders on twitter partly for the interesting theological insight, but mostly because he's really good a twitter. and i think i like him as a person. there are very few public people that i think i would like to get to know personally. he is one of them.

as an example of the type of thing that endears me to him, here is one footnote he placed in a serious book about a serious theological subject: "have you ever stopped to ask, what if there were no hypothetical questions?" an actual footnote. the footnote just prior to that referenced simon chan's spiritual theology: a systematic study of the christian life.

you may roll your eyes, but sanders is my dad joke hero.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

My Jefferson book is at my office, so this weekend I started reading Flexner’s The Indispensable Man about George Washington. Pretty crazy how inept he was in his first “military” command. Committed, essentially, an act of War that could’ve set France and England at it had cooler heads not prevailed.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    My Jefferson book is at my office, so this weekend I started reading Flexner’s The Indispensable Man about George Washington. Pretty crazy how inept he was in his first “military” command. Committed, essentially, an act of War that could’ve set France and England at it had cooler heads not prevailed.
    Allegedly.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

maybe a little off topic, but i follow sanders on twitter partly for the interesting theological insight, but mostly because he's really good a twitter. and i think i like him as a person. there are very few public people that i think i would like to get to know personally. he is one of them.

as an example of the type of thing that endears me to him, here is one footnote he placed in a serious book about a serious theological subject: "have you ever stopped to ask, what if there were no hypothetical questions?" an actual footnote. the footnote just prior to that referenced simon chan's spiritual theology: a systematic study of the christian life.

you may roll your eyes, but sanders is my dad joke hero.
    This thread was fantastic.

If you want to go anti-Star Trek, a very downer view of the galaxy but an intriguing story, try Cixin Liu's trilogy that starts with The Three Body Problem.
    Started the Three-Body Problem over the weekend.

Finished the Phantom Tollbooth and I'm almost there on The Deep.

The bedside stack o'books to be read next is getting out of hand (darn you online card catalogue and library curb-side pick-up!). Since I've been reading a lot of SFF genre stuff, might work on The Shipping News or Song of Solomon along with The Three-Body Problem (instead of another Pratchett).

This thread was fantastic.
    love it!

might work on The Shipping News
    Finished The Shipping News. It was fine, I see why it won so many awards, didn't necessarily knock me off my feet.

Tore through another Vlad Taltos book, and a pretty good little book that my daughter had read and recommended to me last year called The Wild Robot. Finished The Last Battle with the boys, reading them Catwings now.

Working on Just Mercy and Song of Solomon.

Southern Reach #2 (Authority) on deck, along with the 2nd and 3rd March graphic novels about John Lewis. Also couldn't resist ordering The Martian Chronicles last week (because I had been thinking about There Will Come Soft Rains for some reason, which sticks out in my mind as maybe third place in the "creepy and masterful short stories by Bradbury I remember reading pretty young" after The Veldt and All Summer in a Day.)

finished lord of the rings (second time through -- third if you count listening to the audio version) and decided as soon as i finished to order the silmarillion. i don't think i'll read it right away. right now, i'm working on the deep things of God and the bounty trilogy.
    1. Have you started the Silmarillion yet?
    2. I can't believe there was a post that mentioned Ray Bradbury that you haven't commented on yet.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Working on Just Mercy and Song of Solomon.
    Speaking of Solomon, I just started Solomon Says. Really has made me examine my life and daily habits in light of wisdom.

+ Reply to Thread