+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    just finished Foreign Influence (Brad Thor). About to start American Assassin (Vince Flynn).
    both are excellent. I still like Flynn a little better than Thor. They flow a little bit better to me. I'm waiting on Full Black from the library. If you like them, check out The Gray Man by Mark Greaney. Similar stuff.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solo1001 View Post
    both are excellent. I still like Flynn a little better than Thor. They flow a little bit better to me. I'm waiting on Full Black from the library. If you like them, check out The Gray Man by Mark Greaney. Similar stuff.
    Thanks. I also like Flynn a tad better then Orr. After AA, I'm going to read the Athena Project by Orr and was then trying to figure what series I was going to go to next.

I just ordered The Gray Man and On Target. Thanks again.
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

Originally Posted by champion110
    In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    You ever get around to reading The Man Who was Thursday? I think you'd like it, if you haven't already read it. Not nearly as strong a recommendation as the Hitchhiker's Guide (which I knew you would love) but still seems like something you'd enjoy.

I started the Hunger Games. Not bad so far. Premise kind of reminds me of The Long Walk.

Picked up The Great Gatsby off the bookshelf the other day on my way to the, um, "reading room." I probably liked it better than when I had to read it in high school and I can probably appreciate the writing more now, but it's never going to be one of my favorites.

Still working on the Fort Worth Cats history. The general stuff about how the minor leagues worked back in the old days and the Texas League and all that are pretty interesting. Cool picture of the Cats and Travs before a Dixie Series in 1920 in there. But all the details about who was the manager in a given year or how many RBIs the best player had or even the team's record get a little boring.

I also picked up a book I've had for a while about starting schools in Pakistan called Three Cups of Tea.
    i read the man who was thursday a while back. it was pretty good. well worth reading.

the hunger games is a much faster read than melville, obviously, but it's not bad for a YA novel, so far. the story is good and the style is tolerable. it's no harry potter, but it's at least three infinities better than twilight.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    Are there any bookworms on here? I've recently got on a reading kick, and am currently reading the "Sword of Shannara" trilogy hardcover (all 3 books in 1), by Terry Brooks. I'm hoping to blast through this easy reading before I go to Minneapolis for a couple weeks of work, where I can start on some other book series, since I'll be bored in the evenings.
    I read that trilogy when I was like, 13, I believe. It was a good series. If I'm not mistaken, as least one more trilogy was added, The Elfstones of Shannara, unless they were included in the Sword. I don't think so, though. There might have been a third trilogy as well. It's been so long I can't remember. If you really like Sci Fi Fantasy novels, you should read all of the Eternal Champion series of books by Michael Moorcock. Basically it's a large volume of different book series about different "Champions" who are incarnations of each other in different times and places. The Elric of Melnibone series was the most prolific of all the Eternal Champion series. He was the first "anti-hero" in Sci Fi Fantasy that I know. Haven't read much earlier of the genre than that. In fact, I read all of the Menzoberanzen (sp?) books about Drizzt Do'Urden, a dark elf, who was an very close imitation to Elric except that Elric isn't an elf and is an albino. Anyway, just going on a memory trip. I do highly recommend those series, though.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Gonna start reading Mere Christianity by Lewis tonight. I read The Great Divorce a few years ago and liked it so I will probably read that again next.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Gonna start reading Mere Christianity by Lewis tonight. I read The Great Divorce a few years ago and liked it so I will probably read that again next.
    mere christianity is excellent. i never finished the great divorce -- i need to read that next.

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

If you like mystery/thrillers, check out Linwood Barclay. I got one off the drug store rack and read it in two days and just started a second one today and read almost half in one sitting. Good stuff. Also reading one of Dave Barry's collections. Always a gem

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    the hunger games is a much faster read than melville, obviously, but it's not bad for a YA novel, so far. the story is good and the style is tolerable. it's no harry potter, but it's at least three infinities better than twilight.
    yikes! i might have spoken too soon. the second book of the series is all love-triangle-twilight-y so far (about 1/4 of the way through). yuck. never trust a female author with a female protagonist. they will always trend toward romance no matter how hard they try to avoid it.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

yikes! i might have spoken too soon. the second book of the series is all love-triangle-twilight-y so far (about 1/4 of the way through). yuck. never trust a female author with a female protagonist. they will always trend toward romance no matter how hard they try to avoid it.

I was just going to comment about how I enjoyed the first one (finished it yesterday) and planned to order the second from the library today. I wasn't crazy about all that "feelings" junk in the first book (and was worried that we were headed down that path).

Disappointing.

I'll still read it though.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

I was just going to comment about how I enjoyed the first one (finished it yesterday) and planned to order the second from the library today. I wasn't crazy about all that "feelings" junk in the first book (and was worried that we were headed down that path).

Disappointing.

I'll still read it though.
    When I searched for it on the Fort Worth Library website the Spanish version came up as well. In English the title is "Catching Fire" but in Spanish it's En Llamas. Are there going to be llamas in this book? Because that might make it awesome.

Champ ddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond repute ddgravy's Avatar

Portrait of a Spy by Daniel Silva currently.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    mere christianity is excellent. i never finished the great divorce -- i need to read that next.
    I actually liked the great divorce better than mere christianity. I really liked the screwtape letters.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I actually liked the great divorce better than mere christianity. I really liked the screwtape letters.

Mere Christianity is my favorite of those. I love Screwtape, too. Great Divorce was good, but not on the same level.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently almost halfway through volume one of David Eddings' "The Belgariad." The first volume has the first 3 books combined, and the second volume has the last 2 books in it.

Has anyone read any Orson Scott Card or Kurt Vonnegut that can comment on either one? I've read "Cat's Cradle," by Kurt Vonnegut and it was decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    I'm currently almost halfway through volume one of David Eddings' "The Belgariad." The first volume has the first 3 books combined, and the second volume has the last 2 books in it.

Has anyone read any Orson Scott Card or Kurt Vonnegut that can comment on either one? I've read "Cat's Cradle," by Kurt Vonnegut and it was decent.
    ender's game by orson scott card was pretty good. i haven't read any vonnegut.

+ Reply to Thread